PDA

View Full Version : Confused novice seeks help

morganandwong
06-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Hello. Sorry to disturb you all with what will surely seem an idiotic question. I recently picked up at a yard sale some toy soldiers for my son to play with, as he loves to do. They were crammed into a couple of very large freezer bags and I wasn't really sure what I was buying. Now I see these are more designed to be some kind of set to be displayed or something. They are German and British soldiers and include pieces of "rubble?", tanks, weapons, a medic area?, a German and British flag, and other pieces. In other words, it was probably meant to depict some specific battle or some such thing of which I'm unaware. If anyone could suggest something that this might be, I would really appreciate it. I'd like to set it up as a display in my son's room and I want to put it together "right." I already have supplies from model train displays so I thought I could give this a whirl. Thanks

jazzeum
06-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Could you display some pictures. That might help.

morganandwong
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Hmmm...I can try, but that won't happen right away since I have no digital camera or scanner. I've been going buggy searching the net. Very hard to find what something is when I'm clueless. I am starting to suspect that this might be Normandy? I guess if I can't figure it out I can just make it whatever I want it to be.

jazzeum
06-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Unless you can post pictures, it's a little hard to offer any good advice. Sorry.

Carnahan
08-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Hello. Sorry to disturb you all with what will surely seem an idiotic question. I recently picked up at a yard sale some toy soldiers for my son to play with, as he loves to do. They were crammed into a couple of very large freezer bags and I wasn't really sure what I was buying. Now I see these are more designed to be some kind of set to be displayed or something. They are German and British soldiers and include pieces of "rubble?", tanks, weapons, a medic area?, a German and British flag, and other pieces. In other words, it was probably meant to depict some specific battle or some such thing of which I'm unaware. If anyone could suggest something that this might be, I would really appreciate it. I'd like to set it up as a display in my son's room and I want to put it together "right." I already have supplies from model train displays so I thought I could give this a whirl. Thanks

It's not an idiotic question at all - wargamers and diorama builders will often go to great pains to get a battlefield to look as authentic as possible. I'm going to guess that the soldiers are probably around an inch tall, what is known as 1/72 scale or 28mm (basically HO)? If so, this may be the Airfix Normandy set. You can do an internet search to see if there are pics of the set - often there may be some of the completed set. You can also check with a local hobby dealer, who may have catalogs with pics in them. Often times pre-packaged sets do not represent an actual scene in a battle. In this case, you can take a look at some old pics of the D-Day landing to see how things may have been and work from there. If you've done train layouts the base and foliage should be easy. This sounds like a great project for you and your son!

theBaron
08-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome to the forum!

It won't be hard to offer advice without pics, necessarily, but could you describe the figures in more detail? For example, how big or small are they? Are they metal or plastic? Painted or unpainted? Relatively detailed or less so?

Prost!
Brad

jazzeum
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Guys,

This person posted more than four years ago. I assume his question got answered.

Alexdakar
08-11-2009, 10:16 PM
or he's still saving up to buy a digital camera.

Deitz
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
or he's still saving up to buy a digital camera.

It should be one heck of a camera.;)