PDA

View Full Version : Mignot Figures

maddadicus
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
I have a Mignot fetish and I need help or more money. My recent purchases..Michael

jrsteel
04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Michael they are beautiful figures. I love the Mignot too. Someone is always selling single cavalry figures on Ebay. The boxed sets can get pricey $250-$300.

maddadicus
04-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Michael they are beautiful figures. I love the Mignot too. Someone is always selling single cavalry figures on Ebay. The boxed sets can get pricey $250-$300.

That is why I am content to make a set, one figure at a time. I am probably going to pick up some new sets also, since the look of the figure has not changed for a 100 years. All should blend together nicely....Michael

kilted vampire
04-02-2007, 12:56 AM
I like the Lucotte figure as well. Alas they are very expensive. You are very lucky to have those Michael. I wish you joy of the day!

DMNamiot
04-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi Michael,

Those are great figures! I wish you luck in building the sets. It seems like every time a pick up a single old Britains some one always beats me up when I try to give it some company so for the most part I have a few singles and it will likely remain that way for a while

Still very nice figures!

All the best

Dave

The Lt.
04-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks Michael for posting The figures and starting the THREAD. Looking forward to seeing more.............The Lt.

jrsteel
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
I posted these on another thread but I'll post them here.

jrsteel
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Here's some Russian Grenadiers.

kilted vampire
04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Russian Grenadiers! The French certainly do a great job!

DMNamiot
04-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Guys,

I was looking over this thread and thought the Curissairs looked familure. I have one on a charging horse that I picked up in Baltimore a long time ago with some soldiers made in the USSR and have had them sitting on my desk and totally over looked them. The Russian figure is on the right and I have no idea of a maker other than the sticker that says made in the USSR on the bottom. I cleaned out a little store that was closing of these two and a handful of individuals in various Russian Uniforms. I guess I need to dig them out and take a photo of them.

All the best

Dave

kilted vampire
04-28-2007, 11:45 PM
I really like the Cuirasier

Mignot
05-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Hello,

Attached are a few pictures of some of my Mignots and Lucottes. The bulk of my collection is still boxed up, but these are some nice ones that I just had to put on the self. Lets see some more Mignot on this forum!! Sorry my photography is not perfect.

Cheers,

Cole Jones

Mignot
05-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Here are a few more pics. Not every figure is a Mignot, but most of them are.

Cheers

Cole

jrsteel
05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Wow! Great stuff. Tell me about Luccotte. Are they still being made? They're very expensive, right? Most sets I've seen are like $500-$600.

Mignot
05-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Lucottes are like the grandfather of French made toy soldiers. Some of them are quite old, dating back to the early 19th century. That said, most of the ones you see on the market are from the turn of the 20th century and just after. I have about 16 mounted Lucottes, in varying conditions. I would say the going price for a pre-war mounted lucotte is about 200 dollars--more if you are buying them in France.

The detail on Lucottes is fair superior to Mignot, and they have the rarity thing going for them. For those of you who collect K&C retired figures, you can understand that rarity drives the price up. The new Mignot company, operating out of the south of France, is reissuing many Lucotte sets, but you can tell right off that they are not originals---they look like modern Mignots. I personally only collect Antique Mignot and Lucotte, and I really don't care for the modern ones.

If you can track a set down, you can probably get 10 infantry and one mounted officer with no box for about 1,000. Just make sure they haven't been touched up. Here are a couple of my Lucottes.

Hope this helps!

Cole Jones

jrsteel
05-03-2007, 11:40 AM
What is it that you don't like about the new Mignot? I thought they used the same molds? Is it a different painting technique?

jazzeum
05-03-2007, 11:43 AM
What is it that you don't like about the new Mignot? I thought they used the same molds? Is it a different painting technique?

JR,

I don't know if this is what Mignot is getting at, but on a different thread, Gideon thought that the molds had been overused.

Mignot
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM
JR,

Brad is quite right. The molds are worn out, and so the figures dont have the same detail that the originals had. Also, IMHO they are smaller for some reason. The painting is also not very good. The new ones tend to have greyish faces, I am not sure why that is the case, but it is. Tonight, I will post a side by side picture of a pre-WW2 mignot, post war one, and a modern one. So you can see the difference.

Best

Cole

wadepat
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
JR,

Brad is quite right. The molds are worn out, and so the figures dont have the same detail that the originals had. Also, IMHO they are smaller for some reason. The painting is also not very good. The new ones tend to have greyish faces, I am not sure why that is the case, but it is. Tonight, I will post a side by side picture of a pre-WW2 mignot, post war one, and a modern one. So you can see the difference.

Best

Cole

Hi Cole,

I look forward to seeing your pictures tonight. I think the pictures will be very helpful and educational. Thanks for providing your insights!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

jrsteel
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
JR,

Best

Cole

Cole I get what you're saying about the fleshtones. I have a picture on this thread of some Russian Grenadiers and I thought the fleshtones looked weird. I have a set of French Imperial Guard made in 1978 and they look different. They have more like a satin finish and they're larger. Look forward to your photos.

Mignot
05-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I needed a break, so I decided to take the photos now. From Left to Right:
1. Grenadier of the Old Guard by Mignot, I would say 1920s
2. Chasseur of the Light Infantry, I would say just before ww2, Late 30s
3. Student from the Ecole Militaire de Saint Cyr, 1950s
4. Young Guard at the shoulder, 2004
5. Young Guard advancing, 2004

Notice the Young Guard advancing has a gray face, while the soldier at the shoulder has a more natural tan. You can tell the figures age by looking at the base colours, lighter means older. Also, by looking at the faces. Early mignot only have black paint on the face, while later ones have more detail and more colour. Also, look at the way the bayonets go. Early mignot have the bayonets to the right, the ones from the post war period to the left, and the modern ones straight up and down. Strange, but true.

Hope you enjoy!

wadepat
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I needed a break, so I decided to take the photos now. From Left to Right:
1. Grenadier of the Old Guard by Mignot, I would say 1920s
2. Chasseur of the Light Infantry, I would say just before ww2, Late 30s
3. Student from the Ecole Militaire de Saint Cyr, 1950s
4. Young Guard at the shoulder, 2004
5. Young Guard advancing, 2004

Notice the Young Guard advancing has a gray face, while the soldier at the shoulder has a more natural tan. You can tell the figures age by looking at the base colours, lighter means older. Also, by looking at the faces. Early mignot only have black paint on the face, while later ones have more detail and more colour. Also, look at the way the bayonets go. Early mignot have the bayonets to the right, the ones from the post war period to the left, and the modern ones straight up and down. Strange, but true.

Hope you enjoy!

Cole,

Your detailed information is amazing! You are presenting information of the type I have always hoped to learn on this forum. I have always wanted to have detailed information which would help me identify manufacturers, general time periods in which specific figures were made, and the history associated with vintage figures. Thanks so much for being generous with your knowledge! I hope you will continue to contribute more of your wisdom! :)

Pat

jrsteel
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Cole,

Your detailed information is amazing! You are presenting information of the type I have always hoped to learn on this forum. I have always wanted to have detailed information which would help me identify manufacturers, general time periods in which specific figures were made, and the history associated with vintage figures. Thanks so much for being generous with your knowledge! I hope you will continue to contribute more of your wisdom! :)

Pat

I agree with Pat. Great info. Cole what about different paints used? It seems like figures from the 1950's are more glossy than other eras.

Mignot
05-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Hello,

Thanks so much for all the compliments! It is my pleasure. I love talking about Mignot. You are quite right that the figures from the 50's are glossy, whereas both the earlier and later models are more of a matt tone. There is something about the post war figures that really captures the spirit of the classic toy soldier, and I think my collection is probably about 60 percent figures from that era. That is also when they came out with what I call the "Big flag" series. Those are IMHO the most beautiful figures Mignot ever put out. For whatever reason, the new stuff just doesn't tempt me. I can spend hours at Au Plat d'Etain looking at the one case of old Mignot and Lucotes in the back, and yet never even be tempted by the 15,000 new Mignots in the rest of the store. Call me old fashioned I guess.

Would any one be interested in a detailed comparison of an Old Lucotte vs. a Modern one?

wadepat
05-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Hello,

Thanks so much for all the compliments! It is my pleasure. I love talking about Mignot. You are quite right that the figures from the 50's are glossy, whereas both the earlier and later models are more of a matt tone. There is something about the post war figures that really captures the spirit of the classic toy soldier, and I think my collection is probably about 60 percent figures from that era. That is also when they came out with what I call the "Big flag" series. Those are IMHO the most beautiful figures Mignot ever put out. For whatever reason, the new stuff just doesn't tempt me. I can spend hours at Au Plat d'Etain looking at the one case of old Mignot and Lucotes in the back, and yet never even be tempted by the 15,000 new Mignots in the rest of the store. Call me old fashioned I guess.

Would any one be interested in a detailed comparison of an Old Lucotte vs. a Modern one?

Hi Cole,

Yes, I, for one, would be very interested in a detailed comparison of an Old Lucotte vs a Modern one. I think it could be very informative. I would guess that there are a few other members who would be interested as well.

Pat :)

maddadicus
05-03-2007, 08:03 PM
For what it is worth, CBG by Mignot is a starter line that is only $65 for 5 marching infantry with flag. I do not know much about the detail, but for someone starting off collecting this line, I feel the price and figures are right....Michael

kilted vampire
05-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Cole, you have a veritable plethora of visual overload. B.zx@#sttt....

Mignot
05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Hahaha.....you should see the sets I have in storage! It all started with one figure but I just can't get enough!

Cheers

Cole

jrsteel
05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Cole I acquired these today. Any idea what era they're from?

kilted vampire
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
SWEEEEEeeeeet! Where? How much? Are there any more?

Mignot
05-07-2007, 05:22 PM
JR
Well done lad! You have done quite well! I believe those are Voltigeurs of the Jeunne Garde. I love it when Mignots are a little worse for the wear. These have clearly been played with, and that is NOTHING to be ashamed of. They are beautiful figures. I believe they are made 1950's. Conservative value is 20 dollars per figure.

Well done again.

Cheers mate,

Cole Jones

jrsteel
05-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info Cole. I see what you mean. They do look better than the newer figures.

Mignot
05-07-2007, 07:22 PM
JR,

Yes I agree, the more age on the figure the better if you ask me. I just ordered a pre-war eagle bearer and drummer to complete a set I bought in Paris last year. I can't wait to finish this set up!

Wherever you found those figures, go back and find more! And take more pictures!

Thanks,

Cole

jrsteel
05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Cole I actually got those figures from my Wife's Aunt. She gave us a box with what I thought would be a Britains State Carriage and those Mignot were "thrown" in there. Turns out the carriage wasn't Britains it was made by Crescent. So the Mignot were the real prize.
I have an Imperial Guard set made in 1978 and I've seen on several sites sets listed saying circa 1978. Is there a signifigance to that year? Were Mignot out of production for awhile and that was the first year back or something?

Mignot
05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
JR,

I can't say for sure, but I know that it was around then that Mignot switched from the post-1954 style glossy figures to the newer matte style. I have some figures made around the time of your grenadiers (awesome set by the way, I am jealous) and they date from the late 70s-early 90s. These are from the last great era of Mignot. Everything made after the early 90s is garbage IMHO.

Sell the carriage on ebay, and buy some Mignots:-) Lucky find!

Cheers,

Cole