PDA

View Full Version : Just picked-up my very first Mignot Napoleonic set...!!!

HistoryfortheAges
05-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Napoleonic Swiss Infantry. 12 figures including officer, flagbearer, drummer and 9 marching. Decent price too! Very excited to continue branching out of the mainstream... {sm3}

Ruggles
05-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Napoleonic Swiss Infantry. 12 figures including officer, flagbearer, drummer and 9 marching. Decent price too! Very excited to continue branching out of the mainstream... {sm3}

Nice :)

I want to branch out to other makers as well. But the ones I currently buy (JJD, WB & K&C) are so darn good I can't stop buying them! I do plan to buy some other brands at the Toy Soldier show this month in San Antonio.

HistoryfortheAges
05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Yes, the shows may have some bargains for non-mainstream brands as well. I like the diversity aspect of my collection and therefore, I will continue to branch out to find more treasures like this purchase. I have a couple of Hiriart sets on order with one of our forum members too. EBAY is another good option to pick-up sets at great prices!!!

It's time to fight back the tide of rising prices to keep collecting affordable again...!!! {sm3}^&grin

Ruggles
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Yes, the shows may have some bargains for non-mainstream brands as well. I like the diversity aspect of my collection and therefore, I will continue to branch out to find more treasures like this purchase. I have a couple of Hiriart sets on order with one of our forum members too. EBAY is another good option to pick-up sets at great prices!!!

It's time to fight back the tide of rising prices to keep collecting affordable again...!!! {sm3}^&grin

eBay is the devils work I tell you! One innocent and bid and BAM! I have 14 auctions I am in somehow {sm4}

HistoryfortheAges
05-07-2013, 09:45 PM
HAHAHA...!!! Yes, I see how that can happen...!!! Got to have a lot of self-control to not break the bank... {sm4}

HistoryfortheAges
05-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Just picked-up 3 more Mignot mint boxed sets at average prices of $20/foot figure and $35/mounted figure including flagbearers. Mignot figures are very toy-like which offers a different level of charm! They are also one of the oldest manufacturers in the world.

I will continue diversifying out of the rising prices of the mainstream companies. Good luck with their strategies... I encourage new collectors to seek out options to participate in this enjoyable hobby. There are a lot of choices out there in terms of scale, painting-style, scupting-style, material and price! Collect what you enjoy and what you can afford! {sm4}{sm3}:salute::

theBaron
05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Congratulations! I have a small number of Mignot pieces, too. Mine started with a set of dismounted French Napoleonic dragoons that the Smithsonian offered in their gift catalog back in the '80s. I've got a couple more Napoleonics, plus some medieval figures, falconers, and some Ancient Romans.

I wouldn't say that the newer makers are the mainstream, though, just that they're newer makers, while Mignots are among the classic toy soldiers.

Enjoy your new collection, prosit!
Brad

HistoryfortheAges
05-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks! :)

What I mean by "mainstream manufacturers" are those that seem to have their product for sale by just about every toy soldier retailer out there including a lot on eBay as well... I'm diversifying my collecting away from those brands and at a good time when prices for their products keep rising quickly. I will keep my prior purchases from these makers as I enjoy them as well but will be applying current and future funds to different brands and at the same time keeping more money in my pocket! {sm3}

I like the way my collection is looking! Variety is good! :)

DoberDadinMD
08-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Just picked up my first Mignot from a local toy shop. I'll continue to keep my main focus on Britains, but I couldn't leave a mounted Napoleonic behind for less than a fiver. I'm actually very pleased with the look of this one - especially the horse's eyes.

6th Wisconsin
11-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I do know what you mean by prices. I started getting a few of the K&C ceremonials, which are very nicely done. I really like them, but unfortunately I love variety and cannot concentrate enough funds into them to make a good parade. I have always had a big interest in French history, including doing my masters thesis in it. I am gravitating a bit back to that era and picked up a Mignot set off of Ebay recently. I like the charm of these pieces, and I figure I can put together a very nice display over time without breaking the bank. I spend enough of my budget with matte lines, and this will enable me to build that parade without taking forever.

HistoryfortheAges
11-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I do know what you mean by prices. I started getting a few of the K&C ceremonials, which are very nicely done. I really like them, but unfortunately I love variety and cannot concentrate enough funds into them to make a good parade. I have always had a big interest in French history, including doing my masters thesis in it. I am gravitating a bit back to that era and picked up a Mignot set off of Ebay recently. I like the charm of these pieces, and I figure I can put together a very nice display over time without breaking the bank. I spend enough of my budget with matte lines, and this will enable me to build that parade without taking forever.

Good for you! Yes, there are a variety of figure manufacturers out there to match every budget. I like Mignot figures as much as every other figure in my collection. They are of a different style, more "toy-like" but they give me a sense of getting back to the roots of the toy soldier collectible hobby. What a collector living in the nineteenth century would have and admire on his shelf. {sm4}

Mirof
11-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Well in Europe, CBG Mignot is certainly part of the "mainstream", first production in 1858 under the name Lucotte,
taken over by Cuperly,Blondel & Gerbeau in 1858, later by Mignot (C.B.G.)
They will also manufacture Aluminium figures 1935-1958 under the name Mignalu

Worth a view : http://www.artig.lv/ see in Napoleonic The Reception
http://www.assetminiatures.co.uk/4709.html
http://bum-german.blogspot.com.es/
http://www.beau-geste.com/
http://www.blackcatminiatures.net/
http://www.whitetowerminiatures.co.uk/

and so many others