Thread: Roman Shields - what colour and decorations did they really have ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Roman Shields - what colour and decorations did they really have ?

Good Question- one that has perplexed me as well.

In all my years of reading and re-enacting and interest in Rome, I haven't really come across anything out of the usual Thunderbolt pattern- which, as you can probably agree, seems to be on the outs as companies are churning out figures with all sorts of designs. Which prompted me to do a little additional research into the topic. I posed the question on RAT a month or so ago and it seems there isn't anything definitive but it seems, as I had suspected, that variations on the Thunderbolts were possible, just probably not en masse.

https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/sh....php?tid=30921

I think we look at it through the lense of being collectors in the modern age and I know myself, I have a tendency to think of the Legions as very uniform and therefore if one had them, they all did- sort of like unit patches in todays army.

I have simply decided to steer clear of the non-thunderbolt shields as my Roman collection focuses on the campaigns in Germania during the First Century AD.

when the odds were stacked against me I needed someone by my side..and when the world left no place for me I needed someone by my side....and when the skies crashed down upon me I looked for someone by my side. You were there when no when else was, you showed me what's born doesn't always die.....The Divinity of Purpose...Hatebreed
    Likes: (4) Pax Toy Soldier (12-08-2018),Sahara (12-07-2018),theBaron (12-06-2018),wadepat (12-06-2018)