Civil War Artillery Zouave Units? (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
Here is a drawing by Winslow Homer done in 1861 while he was a Special Artist for Harper's Weekly in Virginia. The men are wearing Zouave jackets and trousers and kepis with the exception of the ones on right. The one holding the rammer has on a fez or tarboosh. I have included a daguerreotype showing a Civil War soldier wearing a fez. Were there Zouave artillery units during the war? If so this would make an interesting and colorful toy soldier set.
Randy

Attachments

• Homer1861GunCrewLoadingACannon.jpg
    Homer1861GunCrewLoadingACannon.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 384
  • CWFEZ.jpg
    CWFEZ.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 455
Hurrah for UKREB:salute:::salute:::salute:::salute:::salute

I emailed Bob today and he answered my question and even gave me the unit:

Hi Randy
Good to hear from you- Off the top of my head-Yes, there was at least one Union Artillery Unit that wore a Zouave uniform:-

The Second Massachusetts Battery more generally called Nims Battery after their commanding officer. The uniform adopted was a jaunty semi-zouave type-dark blue jacket with red trimmings-the trousers loose with russet leather gaiters. The skull cap was trimmed with red-they were also known to have worn a regular cap and the odd fez. At the back of my mind I also believe that the Charlestown Artillery at one time earlier in the conflict wore the Zouave kit but I would need to trawl through my dusty library to confirm that.

Hope the above helps
Best regards
Bob

In 1861 the 2nd Massachusetts Light Artillery Battery (Nims Battery) had been sent to Washington and then on to Baltimore. Homer probably made the drawing while they were in DC. Homer was from Boston and likely familiar with the unit. I checked online and found these images:

Attachments

• 22ndMassA.jpg
    22ndMassA.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 185
  • second-massachusetts-battery-of-light-artillery-nims-battery-1861-mark-maritato.jpg
    second-massachusetts-battery-of-light-artillery-nims-battery-1861-mark-maritato.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 322
Leave it to Sir Bob to know the answer! :smile2: Very cool!!^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool Does any company make figures of Nim's Battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back