1/32 Panther Ausf D conversion (From 21st Century Toys) (1 Viewer)

PanzerArm

Private 2
Hello everyone, just thought I would share a little project that has taken up shelf space in my hobby room for going on 3 years now.

Back in 2014 I got the idea to turn a 1/32 21st century Panther ausf G into a ausf D and making it far more accurate than 21st Century tended to make their tanks. Call it a hybrid between a toy and a model kit. The down side of course being that no one made a kit to do such a thing, so large parts would have to be scratch built. I decided early on to make molds of the parts I made so that down the road, should I be inclined to make another ausf D, or an ausf A for that matter, I would be well on my way before even starting. So without further ado, here is a brief timeline of progress on this project up to where I stand now:

Here is the oldest image I can find of the project, from sometime back in the spring of 2014 I think. At this point I have made molds from some FoV radiator fans, and some exhausts from a 21st Century Jagdpanther. The exhausts taht came with the 21st panther G are a very late G variant and not suitable for the D model. I also made some new engine grates and cast copies. The "chin" mantlet was removed from the 21st panther, as were the hull sides and front. The cabin heater on the left radiator fan housing was removed as well. The early cupola master sits atop the turret but is not complete.

Next step was replacing the existing fan housing with the early spiral versions. These were casts from the old Tamiya 1/35 panther ausf A which has several things about it that are out of scale, including these housings. I also added the plate above the driver and radio operator with the roughed in early hatches, as well as a working signal port and pistol ports on the turret. The cupola master is compoete and a successful cast of it is in place. The hull sides and front plate are slightly more refined thatn the last picture.

More detail of the front plate. The driver's and radio operator's ports both work.

Drivers port open

The cupola with its hatch. Looks a bit rough, but many of my resin parts need a bit of squadron putty love to correct casting errors.

Another angle of the cupola and the rain guards over the signal and pistol ports added.

Here is a side show showing the D/A model side plate and sponson. This was a challenge getting all the angles to work out and unfortunately the rubber band tracks dont sag to allow the more natural look the Ds and As has with some lower hull visible.

Making a mold of the mantlet. Had to get creative because the gun tube was a bugger to remove so I just said to heck with it and made the mold with it still on.

A constant batttle with resin, darn air bubbles. Lots of time spent re-casting things or filling parts that had too many air bubbles.

New mantlet cast and added (didn't want to use the master on this project).

And like that this project sat for about 2 years. My wife and I were blessed with a second child and that left little time for this hobby of mine, especially a project so involved. But about 2 months ago I resumed work

The first item I resumed was the schurzen. These were a pain in the but, and I wish I had taken more photos of the process to get these right, but I was very glad to get these fabricated. The brackets that are mostly obscured were the biggest pain (they are visible in a subsequent picture).

Another shot of the schurzen, with some of the finished side plate visible. I also added the weld bead the the plate joints.

Close up of the schurzen

Turret welds

Added the tool stowage on the side and the brackets are clearly visible without the schurzen mounted.

Here you can see the working ports on the front plate, as well as added periscopes for the crew.

Right side stowage and tools added.

Radio Operator hatch detail

Next I started the interior...

Opted to save some time and use a pre-made resin kit in 1/35 made by Royal Models. It required some fin tuning for the 1/32 tank, but turned out great. Here is a shot of the radio operator/driver area.

Transmission area

A rear shot of the panther and its revised backside

Turret interior started

I didnt take many WIP pictures after that as I was getting close to finishing a long a tiresome build. The next pics I have are all priming the tank!

Removable rear stoage bins

Turret interior

Engine Deck

Overhead shot of interior

And lastly, I have some shots of it as it sits today, primed and ready for paint. The family and I are headed out of town for a bit on a nice little vacation, and I intend on dusting off the old compressor and airbrush and seeing if I can finish this tank finally!

Thanks for reading and I will keep you posted with updates after I return!

-Kevin

And lastly, I have some shots of it as it sits today, primed and ready for paint. The family and I are headed out of town for a bit on a nice little vacation, and I intend on dusting off the old compressor and airbrush and seeing if I can finish this tank finally!

Thanks for reading and I will keep you posted with updates after I return!

-Kevin

One thing I can tell from the photos...you are not lazy !
Quite a project...you should be happy with what you accomplished...

Thank you for posting.

That's a great job upgrading the model with your scratchbuilds, Kevin!

How do you handle the bubbles in your resin castings? I use Mr Surfacer, or Squadron white putty dissolved in acetone, either one applied with an old paintbrush, to fill holes like that, and then just sand the surface smooth.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks for the kind words gents.

To fill the holes in my resin I use a little squadron green or white putty, thinned with tamiya extra thin cement, and apply as necessary. Thinning it gives the right viscosity to be able to actually get it where it needs to go. Takes a little longer to dry than the straight out of the tube stuff, but that is to be expected (plus I live in Arizona and it does not take very long for anything to dry here.

As a quick follow-up, here is a pic I took yesterday afternoon with the camo airbrushed on. Still a lot of work to be done, but it is starting to take shape!

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back