1:72 scale USS Enterprise Scratch Built (1 Viewer)

So just need K&C to produce one in 1/30, along with F 14 Warbirds and we'll all be happy. :)

Seriously good looking model. Can't believe that someone would have the patience to spend 19 years on a project. :eek:

Simon

I think we lost some posts in here between Gary and myself the other day, but for the record, I'll post mine again:D

That is just unbelievable. I thought it was a very classy move by the Captain (I thought Admiral's were on Carriers:confused:) to bring the modeller onto the ship. Anyway, I have discovered another way to get a free trip on ships in case anyone is interested- just go to this website:

http://www.navy.com/

they'll be happy to hook you up.

Could you imagine going through all the technical blueprints and all of that stuff?? I would have to think, depending on the detail of it all, that that would cost a princely sum as well- nevermind all of the time and effort building the thing.

...I thought Admiral's were on Carriers...

Four-stripers (Navy Captains, Colonel in the other services) are the flattop's skippers (CO's). Four-striper is slang referring to the number of strips on the uniform sleeve.

The flag officer types (rear admirals lower half and rear admirals upper half - Brigadier or Major Generals in the other services) are onboard as Task Group Commanders (multi-ships, submarines, and aircraft squadrons make up a task group) or as major force commanders (ComNavSurfPac - Commander Naval Surface Forces Pacific for example).

I have built models since I was a child and that is without a doubt the best model I have ever seen. 19 YEARS.......19 YEARS........19 YEARS
WOW

Four-stripers (Navy Captains, Colonel in the other services) are the flattop's skippers (CO's). Four-striper is slang referring to the number of strips on the uniform sleeve.

The flag officer types (rear admirals lower half and rear admirals upper half - Brigadier or Major Generals in the other services) are onboard as Task Group Commanders (multi-ships, submarines, and aircraft squadrons make up a task group) or as major force commanders (ComNavSurfPac - Commander Naval Surface Forces Pacific for example).

Thanks for clearing that up Randy. How does "Authority" work- I am assuming the Captain of the ship has the final say on things with his ship but the admirals manuerver the fleets??

Thanks for clearing that up Randy. How does "Authority" work- I am assuming the Captain of the ship has the final say on things with his ship but the admirals manuerver the fleets??

"Randy" where the heck did that come from, well maybe I am a bit "Randy" once and a while, but I am Michael.:p:rolleyes:

And you are correct; the Captain is ultimately responsible for everything that involves his vessel. Good or bad. If the ship runs aground (charted or not) and he is in his cabin sleeping, he's responsible and normally would be relieved of his command very quickly. The CO is not the person "driving" the ship. That is usually a jr. officer team consisting of an Officer-of-the-Deck (OD) and Jr. Officer-of-the-Deck (JOD). The CO is usually always on the bridge in his Captains Chair on either side of the bridge when the ship is at sea.

Being relieved of command for grounding a vessel is just one example of "CO's responsibility." In the USN, CO's responsibility is one of the traditions from the royal navy and it is an example of how seriously the responsibility of command is taken.

The admiral types are usually on a separate bridge (a bridge that has no ship control devices) located just under the navigating bridge. This second bridge is called the "Flag Bridge." It has more communications capability than the navigating bridge and has staff officers on watch that support the Admiral in his decision making. He may or may not be on the flag bridge.

CIC, where the ship is fought from, is located deep in the hull. During General Quarters, a Tactical Action Officer (TAO) is in charge of fighting the ship, under the command of the CO who often moves from the bridge to CIC once the ship goes to General Quarters. The bridge team (OD and JOD) then answers to the TAO for maneuvering decisions unless they see a situation different than what he sees. The TAO is the officer responsible for deciding what weapons, when they are fired, how the ship is maneuvered to fight, and the use of all electronic warfare devices.

Fighting a modern naval vessel is very computer and electronic intense. Most of what a ship’s TAO officer can see in the CIC of an individual ship can be “shared” with other ships, “linked” with other ship’s CIC’, linked with unit commander operation centers, and even viewed in the White House. When those Iranian speedboats were maneuvering in between the three US warships, everybody in the chain of command knew about it as it was happening. Those creeps are lucky to be alive today. The automatic gun that was trained on them would have shreaded them into little tiny bits of flesh and bone.

"Randy" where the heck did that come from, well maybe I am a bit "Randy" once and a while, but I am Michael.:p:rolleyes:

Fighting a modern naval vessel is very computer and electronic intense. Most of what a ship’s TAO officer can see in the CIC of an individual ship can be “shared” with other ships, “linked” with other ship’s CIC’, linked with unit commander operation centers, and even viewed in the White House. When those Iranian speedboats were maneuvering in between the three US warships, everybody in the chain of command knew about it as it was happening. Those creeps are lucky to be alive today. The automatic gun that was trained on them would have shreaded them into little tiny bits of flesh and bone.

My bad bro-I'm an idiot- now you can see why I was in the Army- not smart enough for the Navy :) Plus, it was late when I posted.

Yes, Michael- thank you for clearing that one up. Your post is tremendously interesting to me- I have wondered how the ships communicate with one another and where the division of responsibility rests.

For the life of me, I don't know what those chuckleheads were thinking- fortunately, our sailors are squared away and know how to stay in control!!

Thanks again Michael

CC

That is truly amazing. To devote 19 years to the project -- and to maintain that desire for so long. The only downside is, some day when he goes to sell the house, you have to buy the model also.

That is astounding! 16 feet long!

I'd never seen that model before. I've only subscribed to FSM since 2004, so I missed the old issue. But think of the work that goes into a job like that!

I was impressed before with the 1/72 USS Wolverine, one of the Navy's 2 training carriers, that was featured in FSM. But this model is really something. Wow!

WOW! That is a way beyond "model"! I've seen some great scratchbuilt ships over time but that is incredible, 19 years, thats longer than most marriages.
Thanks for the link:cool:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back