2009 Favourite Releases (1 Viewer)

Cyber Field Marshall

Sergeant Major
Now with the last dispatch we know everthing that has or will be released in 2009. With that in mind I was curious to see what TREEFROGGERS favourite releases were in 2009 and I always love hearing your explanations as too why. No restrictions here, you can choose more than one piece and you don't have to own it yet either. Look forward to your responces. For myself this year saw a lot of new lines released like Luftwaffe, RAF, LOJ, SOE, New West, Italians etc. The single biggest surprise for me is the new LOJ line.
My favourite releases have to be the Crusader Mk.IV tank from the D-Day series. Not a well covered piece and its well done and a nice change of pace. The other would be the D-Day wounded British soldier and attending medic trying to save his life piece, a piognant vignette about the cost of war, really tells a personal story very well. Lots of honourable mentions, highlights for me include the fighting Luftwaffe, RAF, Bulge Germans, Various Napoleonics and CW Confederate Cavalry.
It was a great 2009, here's to 2010 and a ton more amazing releases.

Cheers
CFM :)

For me it was the Brit and Canadian releases for D Day,the Cromwell and all the infantry figures are just spot on.The Hurricane is also another big fave from this year along with the RAF figures.

Some great German stuff too this year,but for me 2009 was the best Allied year for sometime.I'm sure 2010 is going to be another good one.

Rob

Top of my list is the hurricane followed up with the MG sports car both excellent sets & the only 2 that i had to pre-order as I couldn't wait to pick them up at a later date! Also really liked the LCA, Crusader Tank & all the figures that went with them!

Craig

According to my records, I have AE37- the standing Pharoah as being released in December 2008 but I think it wasn't available until Jan 2009 so I hope I can bring that figure in.

But for me, yeah, the standing Pharoah was just amazing. Really closed the gap with the Russian manufacturers. I have always felt that the most aesthetically stunning KC figures are the Imperial Chinese, the SOHK and the Barbarians sets. It was nice to see the AE line get on par with that quality.

A close second would be the Continental artillery set- AR68.

The Hurricane and RAF series. A close second would be the new diorama pieces including the village and LAH plinths.

Last edited:
The British and German WWI 1916 sets. They are just amazing and belong to a period I find very interesting and like to collect and read about: the beginning of the end of great empires, the start of great social convulsions that led to important changes throughout the world, the radical change in warfare technology and tactics, you name it. Also, last but not least the quality of the figures is quite extraordinary, I am interested in building a small diorama with them and JG Miniatures stuff... The Aussie Light Horse also looks very promising:p.
All of the Crimean War releases, absolutely stunning stuff, although I don't collect them (can not do everything at once...:().
The upcoming Soldiers of the British Empire series, looks very exciting, those colorful uniforms always strike it with me...

Paulo

My favorite 2009 releases were:the Brit and Canadian releases for D Day.
And the Hurricane with the RAF figures.
BBA 30 M3 A2 half-track

Disappointment
No Fallschirmjagers At ALL:mad::mad:

Harrie

All thew new ACW lineup, especially the trooper laying on his dead horse being looked at...

I also think that the English and German 1917 releases were the best thing to come out of this year. K & C has really hit a home run with the WW1 stuff, and the Lighthorse at the end of the year is going to be the icing on the cake. I can only hope 2010 is just as good (as far as WW1 is concerned). Other than that, the Bulge Germans were the best WW2 series, and even though I dont collect American Revolution, the Continental infantry was highly impressive, I'm currently thinking about picking up an individual figure just to have it. The D-Day and RAF stuff was excellent as well, all in all a great year for a great company.

My best sets this year must be the new planes +RAF sets:D
The Rommel taxi looks great:D
Regards Scott

Gotta love the new U.S.A.winter field gun, looks great, and love the extra guys that go along with it.

For me personally the favorite piece of 2009 is/will be the US 105mm howitzer. I find a number of items more "artistic" or with cooler subjects, but that 105 is a hands down winner to me.

Gary B.

I really like the D-Day Cromwell but have to wait a while-just bought the MG Recce jeep and have my eye on the 6 pounder as my next purchase. Being a die hard history buff with a finite budget (and living space) I have to compromise and stick with the WW2 sets despite the other fantastic pieces I see. We should all have such problems.

What about the Komet? I grabbed a Komet as soon as they released. I am impressed... *but* I didn't create a diorama for it... I simply mothballed it.

Now I still see these SL's for sale at most dealers, which makes me believe they are no more popular that Heydrich's Assassination...

Is this the same impression other people are getting? Is the Komet just too much of an oddball to take up precious diorama space for folks, even though its a nice piece?

Easily my favorite was the Hurricane and RAF figures. These were my first plane and British WWII figures, and they are so well done. The Confederate cavalry and the LCA were right behind. The cavalry are very well sculpted, colorful, and have interesting poses. The LCA because my Conte LCVP was a bit out of scale with the K&C Rangers. I also really like the Funkwagen and am awaiting more figures to create a little scence with it.

Some of my favorites:

LAH116 - Marching w/ Rifle

BBG021 Jagdpanzer IV

BBG026 Winter Rifleman

LW021 Luftwaffe Field Division, Kneeling Officer

The American Civil War releases were the 2009 high points for me.

1. :eek: No figures just standing there.
2. :) The tent was much needed and Lee's belongings were a creative surprise.
3. :D Three wounded sets!!!

My hope for the future...

1. more wounded but sold individually (or at least without a horse.)
2. The Union needs to get caught up.
I can't wait to see what's next. I've become more interested in this series than WWII and I never thought that would happen.

What about the Komet? I grabbed a Komet as soon as they released. I am impressed... *but* I didn't create a diorama for it... I simply mothballed it.

Now I still see these SL's for sale at most dealers, which makes me believe they are no more popular that Heydrich's Assassination...

Is this the same impression other people are getting? Is the Komet just too much of an oddball to take up precious diorama space for folks, even though its a nice piece?

I rarely buy WWII stuff, but if I was to buy more WWII stuff the Komet would be one of the first. What I can't figure out is why buyers are so excited about the Hurricane that it sold out immediately but the Komet didn't (even though more Komets were made). Plus the Komet is a relatively small plane, so it wouldn't take up much space in a diorama. The Hurricane is just not exciting to look at, in my book. When I look at the Komet I think of the brave pilots who had to endure so much, like having only a few minutes of powered flight, no pressurize in the cabin, landing without wheels... Plus I think it looks cool.

I believe that the difference is that when it comes to aircraft it's the British planes that sell. There's something iconic about Spits and Hurricanes and the Komets just don't have the same oomph. It's similar to German things selling well in just about any other area.

There's also something about the RAF insignia that's just very cool.

Thanks for the info. Just wasn't aware of how things are. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back