232 antenna array (1 Viewer)

nmrocks

2nd Lieutenant
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay, going through a house remodel and I have just had no time to myself.
Here's some initial pics, The array is made of brass rod that I sildered together, the support legs are brass tubing and the push assambly on the front is Evergreen plastic building materials. all are available at a good size hobby shop. I use a piece of tile to solder on and a soldering gun as opposed to an iron as it generates a faster and hotter heat. I use rosen core solder, .032 dia. the rosen cleans the metal during the soldering process for a quick even solder joint. Any excess I just filed off.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 246
  • process1.jpg
    process1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 242
  • process2.jpg
    process2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 242
  • process3.jpg
    process3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 241
  • process4.jpg
    process4.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 243
You'll notice some handy tools, a bender, for bending small gauge tubing without crimping it (red handles) and a tube cutter, (silver with black handle) available at home depot or Lowe's. I use the bender to get the nice rounded evencorners on the antenna. I just used a side cutter to cut the rod and filed the ends flat to match up. overall length was 6-1/4 inches and 1-1/2 inches wide. once I got the out side frame the way I liked it (2 tries) then I put the long piece down the centernad filled in the cross members. note all this was done as it was completely flat for ease, i didn't put the gentle bend into it until after the frame was complete minus the upper supports. you should also note the the bends occur roughly 1/4 of the overall length in at both ends so be cautious of were you put you solder joint as the don't bend and will just break, bending the rod is very easy. the solder joints are very strong, but once again they don't bend.
Back to work, I'll add more later

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 191
  • process5.jpg
    process5.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 190
  • process6.jpg
    process6.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 183
  • process7.jpg
    process7.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 185
  • process8.jpg
    process8.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 187
Ray.
Superb craftmanship! Well done!
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi!
Rick

Coming up for air finally, This will be my last post on the conversion unless there's some questions.
The only other thing I wanted to mention was the support legs, they are brass tubing that I cut with the help of the tube cutter. the larger end sleeves are aluminum tubing which fit perfectly over the brass tube so I just cut those as well and added them to the ends for the visual strengthed look.
Rear supports were 1 5/8 " and turret side supports 5/8" and front turret support 7/8" long.
As I said, the rest is all evergreen sheet plastic.
Hope this is helpful.
I would also say, Guys, go for it! this is not brain surgery! It takes me a good 6 months to a year to finish a project but thats because I have a really busy life just like you and they sit for weeks at a time without so much as a glance. I also spend a good 6 months just thinking about a project, getting research material and planning the easiest way to get it done. Some never get done ie: my short range desert vehicle still sits on blocks at the back of my desk! but sooner or later the wheels I need will show up!
I'm sure the other modellers and conversitionist in the forum will attest to this and you learn something with every project.
My first project was a simple repaint of the HJB halftrack to Rommels version before the limited K&C came out, very simple just to get the juices flowing, not much risk.
Start small and have fun!
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back