35th Annual East Coast Toy Soldier Show & Sale Date to be Announced (1 Viewer)

William S. Grey

Private 2
Thanks to everyone who helped make our 34th Annual Show a success. Collectors keep inquiring on the date of our 2017 show? As soon as FDU finalizes their 2017 Fall/Winter Basketball & Soccer schedules, we'll have a date. (We should have a date by late Spring). We are aiming for either the last Sunday in October 2017 or the first Sunday in November 2017. Please like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/eastcoasttoysoldiershow

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
Hello

Was thinking of visiting the states in 2017 for a holiday, taking a few days break in either Chicago or New York. Have been to both cities before and they will always be worth a visit, can someone please inform me how they compare?

Well, the East Coast Toy Soldier Show, aka, the Hackensack show, not far from New York, but not a New York show, is a one-day toy soldier & model figure mart. I'd saw there are at least 200 tables of merchandise, running the gamut from classic toy soldiers (eg, Britain's hollowcast) to today's solid-cast collector's toys (eg, King & Country), to plastic figures both old and new, books, models, and militaria. There is also a vendor who sells DVDs covering all kinds of historical periods and subjects.

The "Chicago Show", which is actually held in Schaumburg, IL, is a multi-day show, and because of the location, selling can take place in the hotel on the days before the actual show dates. Otherwise, the content is much the same as at the East Coast show, as are many of the vendors and the people you'll meet. NB--The room trading is relatively rare among shows, because it really depends on the local municipality, and the state, and the particular laws covering itinerant merchants, paying sales taxes, etc. We can't formally encourage it at our show, for example.

I'm sure the rest of the gang will be able to offer more details.

Hope that helps, prost!
Brad (other Brad)

The OTSN Chicago Show is worlds better than the Hackensack Show. If you have to choose one, the OTSN is far and away the one to visit. Many of the major manufacturers, including King & Country, John Jenkins Designs, Britains and First Legion have rooms and tables at the OTSN, as far as I know none of them attend Hackensack. I have met collectors at the OTSN from literally all over the globe. Hackensack is a local show, where I have never met collectors from outside of the United States. Hackensack is a nice local show, but the OTSN compares to the London Shows as the best in the world.

It's a bit simplistic to say Hackensack is a nice local show; outside of Chicago it's the biggest show in the United States. The London Show is probably similar to the London Show in format and size. What distinguishes Chicago from other shows is the room trading. If you can, a collector should try to do it once in their life. I would otherwise agree with the Baron. As to which show you'll go to will probably be influenced by what you plan to do in Chicago or NY. There may be more things to do in NY than Chicago.

The OTSN Chicago Show is worlds better than the Hackensack Show. If you have to choose one, the OTSN is far and away the one to visit. Many of the major manufacturers, including King & Country, John Jenkins Designs, Britains and First Legion have rooms and tables at the OTSN, as far as I know none of them attend Hackensack. I have met collectors at the OTSN from literally all over the globe. Hackensack is a local show, where I have never met collectors from outside of the United States. Hackensack is a nice local show, but the OTSN compares to the London Shows as the best in the world.

I agree that Chicago is better than Hackensack, whether you just go for the show in Chicago. But the best way to experience Chicago is to go for a few days before, for the room trading and where you can meet with the various manufacturers.

Hackensack can be more eclectic in mix, as there is often more toy and other collectibles. However, last year's show was quite good for the focus on toy soldiers.

But both shows are worthwhile. And being from outside of the U.S. myself and attending both for a number of years, I can definitely state that Hackensack is not just attended by Americans.

Britains had a booth at last year's show in Hackensack, and I know of others who have been at the show (sometimes at a vendor's booth). Treefrog also was at Hackensack.

However, Chicago is the bigger show and where you will get more complete coverage by manufacturers and vendors.

It's a bit simplistic to say Hackensack is a nice local show; outside of Chicago it's the biggest show in the United States. The London Show is probably similar to the London Show in format and size. What distinguishes Chicago from other shows is the room trading. If you can, a collector should try to do it once in their life. I would otherwise agree with the Baron. As to which show you'll go to will probably be influenced by what you plan to do in Chicago or NY. There may be more things to do in NY than Chicago.

I don't want to get into a show war, but yes, it's a bit simplistic to say Hackensack is a nice local show; it's the largest show on the East Coast.

You get collectors and dealers from the Northeast, the mid atlantic, the mid south and the Midwest, I'd hardly call that local. A nice local show is our Woburn MA show or the Annandale show in VA, those are nice local shows, if you are a local, it's a fun day out.

At Hackensack, there are about 300 tables and every major dealer from the East coast and the Midwest attends.

It's by far the best single day show I attend, the promoter does a great job of using social media and print advertising to bring qualified buyers through the door; he's not a table salesman disguised as a show promoter.

Chicago is the show of shows, the premier toy soldier show in the country, Don beforehand and Roger now did/do a great job of promoting and like Bill the Hackensack promoter, they relied/rely on social media and print advertising to spread the word, both Roger and Bill send professional flyers, brochures and banners to dealers so we can help them promote the show.

Chicago is split into two segments, the steady, relaxed room trading and then the Sunday selling event, which is hectic at times for sure, but not insanely crazy like Hackensack is, Hackensack is a 6 hour assault of enthusiastic collectors, Chicago is crazy in the morning, then it slows down in the afternoon as numerous attendees travel great distances to attend and begin the process of heading home.

As a dealer who's attended shows for over 20 years, first with Bill Murphy from Excalibur Hobbies and then as Minutemen Toy Soldiers, I give both shows very high marks.

And speaking of high marks, I also have to give a shout out to the MFCA show down in PA; Brad, Dennis and their club members put on a great show, it combines toy soldiers with model figures and has something for everyone, they deserve praise for their show as well.....................and lastly, although I've never attended in person, I've heard nothing but good things about the San Antonio show run by Andy at K & C, so there you go................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back