A Tank in the Talus… (1 Viewer)

tmanthegreat

Master Sergeant
Here’s my latest diorama featuring the new Syrian T-62 tank from First Legion’s Modern Wars line. It’s a beautiful model and features the usual level of artistry and detail FL is known for. The model is a tad simplistic with just the two hatches opening on the turret; no other figures, stowage, or even the AA gun included. I’ve got the model displayed with some of the FL WWII Soviet troops, at least until FL releases some figures for their Modern Wars line. The Soviets look the part… The desert talus rocks are bits of hardpan clay from my yard.

Overall, a very nice effort by First Legion on their T-62! Enjoy 😎

IMG-0824.jpg

IMG-0838.jpg

IMG-0837.jpg

IMG-0829.jpg

IMG-0833.jpg

IMG-0834.jpg

IMG-0835.jpg

IMG-0832.jpg

I personally love your display. Always nice to see production models out in the wild. :D

For us, doing this particular model was a bit of speculation. We'd never done a "modern" tank other than what we've done for Vietnam. So it's nice to see how you've displayed it. But you're right - it needs tank crew, figures (riders?) and opposition.

Please feel free to share what you'd like to see to complement it.

Matt

I personally love your display. Always nice to see production models out in the wild. :D

For us, doing this particular model was a bit of speculation. We'd never done a "modern" tank other than what we've done for Vietnam. So it's nice to see how you've displayed it. But you're right - it needs tank crew, figures (riders?) and opposition.

Matt

Thank you Matt! I appreciate the comments, particularly from the owner of First Legion 😎 You’ve made a great model with the T-62…

Going forward, I’d love to see some crew figures for the T-62 that could stand in the hatches, whether full or half figures. The Syrian tankers during the Yom Kippur/October War had Soviet-style helmets and tan or green fatigues. As for figures, some Syrian infantry would be great to accompany the T-62 as well. They too had Russian-supplied uniforms and equipment (and casually don’t look that much different from the WWII Soviet infantry) but obviously they would have more modern weapons like the AK-47, RPGs, SKS rifles, etc.

As for opposing forces, it’s going to have to be the Israeli Defense Force if you keep with the Yom Kippur/October War theme… In that regard, I’d love to see FL’s take on the Israeli Centurion or M-48 tank. Those vehicles would obviously necessitate some IDF figures to accompany them as well.

I think King and Country have done a very representative job with their IDF lineup, but those figures are all too large to go with the proper 1/30 scale First Legion vehicles and FL would add their “premium” touch to that era…

All said, I’m curious to see where Forst Legion goes with the Modern Wars lineup.

Thank you Matt! I appreciate the comments, particularly from the owner of First Legion 😎 You’ve made a great model with the T-62…

Going forward, I’d love to see some crew figures for the T-62 that could stand in the hatches, whether full or half figures. The Syrian tankers during the Yom Kippur/October War had Soviet-style helmets and tan or green fatigues. As for figures, some Syrian infantry would be great to accompany the T-62 as well. They too had Russian-supplied uniforms and equipment (and casually don’t look that much different from the WWII Soviet infantry) but obviously they would have more modern weapons like the AK-47, RPGs, SKS rifles, etc.

As for opposing forces, it’s going to have to be the Israeli Defense Force if you keep with the Yom Kippur/October War theme… In that regard, I’d love to see FL’s take on the Israeli Centurion or M-48 tank. Those vehicles would obviously necessitate some IDF figures to accompany them as well.

I think King and Country have done a very representative job with their IDF lineup, but those figures are all too large to go with the proper 1/30 scale First Legion vehicles and FL would add their “premium” touch to that era…

All said, I’m curious to see where Forst Legion goes with the Modern Wars lineup.

Thanks for the suggestions, all noted. I particularly want to do the IDF. The FL team is meeting in Hong Kong over the next month and this will certainly be one of the topics for discussion!

Matt

Slightly off topic but it would be really interesting to see what First Legion could do with their take on the modern US GWOT in Iraq/Afghanistan. I bet it would mind blowing, even just small lines like US Marines in Ramadi, US Special Forces in Afghanistan, Army Rangers in Mogadishu, etc. ...If First Legion ever decided to apply their amazing creative power to something like this I'd like to preorder 2 of everything now :salute::

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, all noted. I particularly want to do the IDF. The FL team is meeting in Hong Kong over the next month and this will certainly be one of the topics for discussion!

A few years ago when you met met collectors at the Westcoaster you mentioned that FL had plans for a “Battle of Mogadishu” series. You even talked about prototypes of figures and MH-6’s.

Any idea if this will become a reality?

Is that the FL soviet tank commander ? I tried to snatch two off eBay last year, and of course got the old “out of stock” bit.. Would live to see him re-issued..

Is that the FL soviet tank commander ? I tried to snatch two off eBay last year, and of course got the old “out of stock” bit.. Would live to see him re-issued..

Yep, that’s the FL RUSSTAL022 Russian Tank Commander figure. It’s the closest scale figure I had that could go on the T-62. I got a couple a few years ago to go with their T-34/76 and T-70 tanks. I’d love to see FL make some new Russian tankers (either as full or half figures) that could fit better in the tank hatches. Their T-62 and even their WoT IS-7 need crew figures!

We will be creating new WWII Russian tank commanders to go with our new Russian WWII Tanks. Ooops! {eek3}

Nice to hear! I wonder what the new Russian tank could be? There’s some interesting possibilities 😉

Yes there are. Actually we have 3 new Russian "tanks" (i.e. tanks/assault guns) coming..... Russian tanks don't get enough coverage.

Hopefully one will be a t34/85 Battle of Berlin with bed springs..

A few years ago when you met met collectors at the Westcoaster you mentioned that FL had plans for a “Battle of Mogadishu” series. You even talked about prototypes of figures and MH-6’s.

Any idea if this will become a reality?

Any news on a possible Battle of Mogadishu series after the meeting in Hong Kong?

Any news on the modern front?

Going off the FL Forthcoming Releases Catalogue posted a couple months ago, there aren’t any other modern vehicles previewed… A lot of neat items planned for the WWII and Vietnam War lines, among others. See the FL previews here:

https://www.firstlegionltd.com/downloads/VRWFSHANGHAI.pdf

Wow, that looks amazing. FL did a great job on that tank and very nice base to show it off.

Wow, that looks amazing. FL did a great job on that tank and very nice base to show it off.

Many thanks, Bradley! The FL T-62 is an excellent model, just wish FL had some Syrian tankers and infantry figures to go with it… The K&C figures are all too big. But for now, FL’s WWII Soviet figures do a passable job 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back