ACW 54mm Tinclad (1 Viewer)

maddadicus

2nd Lieutenant
Thought I would start a new thread for my Tinclad, nearing completion..Though the upper works are fitted for my Sudan gunboat hull, I will probably make a separate hull for the ACW version..Michael

Attachments

• 000_1824.JPG
    000_1824.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 000_1825.JPG
    000_1825.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 362
  • 000_1826.JPG
    000_1826.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 000_1827.JPG
    000_1827.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 376
Mike ,
It is starting to look like a boatyard there! How are you planning to finish coat the superstructure for a tin look? I love the boats you have been doing.:D

I am curious about the hulls - where are you getting them ?

This was made from a board. I then used a preformed fibre board shape ( heart shaped box from craft store )foe the prow. I cut it for the sweeping forward look and pronounced point..It was then reinforces with thin balsa sheet on the inside of the prow, for strenghth. I will be making a new hull ,just for the ACW ship as it should not be as pronounced and ought be lower in the water...Michael

Mike ,
It is starting to look like a boatyard there! How are you planning to finish coat the superstructure for a tin look? I love the boats you have been doing.:D

What I tend to do, is dry paint boltgun silver on a black basecoat...More silver is used for the lightweight thickness. If I was painting a full blown clad, there would be a trace of silver against the black...And thanks for your compliments. It is a shame that we do not have that many navy enthusiasts on the forum...Michael

It is a shame that we do not have that many navy enthusiasts on the forum...

Ahh, on the bow with the wind blowing up our skirts...:rolleyes: Great job and very inspiring, Michael. I'm working on a little landing pinnace, just because of your build. Had a solid wood carving that I hollowed out and am now painting prior to putting on the accoutrements. Will post when available. Many thanks as always. Mike

Tinclad nearly finished, but I am need of inexpensive 54mm Parrot and Dalgren cannon castings...Hey K.V. got any lead? Michael

Attachments

• 000_1828.JPG
    000_1828.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 000_1829.JPG
    000_1829.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 000_1830.JPG
    000_1830.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 263
That surely is a beauty Michael, now I am not sure WHICH version I prefer :confused:

That depends on which era you prefer...I am happy with both and will build a hull, exclusively for the ACW version...I will do that from scratch and show you the play by play........Michael

Tinclad nearly finished, but I am need of inexpensive 54mm Parrot and Dalgren cannon castings...Hey K.V. got any lead? Michael
I have some metal but no molds. I would have to make the molds too. TSSD has some cheapy guns that double as pencil sharpeners:)

When things get caught up I will try and get some rigging done. I also think an ACW Marine dio would be great!

Found this on the Dorset website. There must be someone with woodworking skills and tools that could easily build this thing. It needs a few more cannon ports and a longer hull, but this is basic woodshop skills 101...I will try to find some prefab parts or have one of my Amish furniture customers ,get his kids to build this for me. All we need would be the basic form and then I would detail it..Hollowed out inside ,of course for men and guns..This is supposed to be representative of an ACW Cairo class ironclad..Michael

Attachments

• Dorset Ironclad.jpg
    Dorset Ironclad.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 135
Ya'll are about to get me inspired to try my hand at a Confederate naval vessel. Oh no not another project to start with an unknown finish!

Ya'll are about to get me inspired to try my hand at a Confederate naval vessel. Oh no not another project to start with an unknown finish!

Give me a day or two...I am gathering stuff for a how to make a ship.. Even though this segment would be for a Sudan type sternwheel gunship, you might find techniques to help you along..Give us a photo of what type of ship, you are looking to build and I can give you some ideas, since I have built a sidewheeler, 2 sternwheeler, including a Union Tinclad..the USS Vampire...Michael

Attachments

• USS Vampire.jpg
    USS Vampire.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 87
I'm not sure at this point. Either a blockade crushing seagoing Ironclad which would be screw driven or perhaps a River superiority sternwheeler. But, a little converted guard-the-bay steam tug might be fun as well. As you can tell i haven't given it very much thought. One thing is for sure it will be down the road a bit because what shop tools I do have are out in the barn and it is unheated.

I'm not sure at this point. Either a blockade crushing seagoing Ironclad which would be screw driven or perhaps a River superiority sternwheeler. But, a little converted guard-the-bay steam tug might be fun as well. As you can tell i haven't given it very much thought. One thing is for sure it will be down the road a bit because what shop tools I do have are out in the barn and it is unheated.

If you want to be real accurate in a model, you could just start it, leave it unfinished on the bench and say the **** Yankee advance overran your shipyards, since only 1/3 of Confed clads planned, ever touched the water:D.....Michael

I posted an album on Vicksburg. In the album are a few of shots of the USS Cairo from last March of both inside and outside of the ship. The USS Cairo was a lot bigger than I thought, so you may want to stock on some wood before you start.

Hope this helps.

Give me a day or two...I am gathering stuff for a how to make a ship.. Even though this segment would be for a Sudan type sternwheel gunship, you might find techniques to help you along..Give us a photo of what type of ship, you are looking to build and I can give you some ideas, since I have built a sidewheeler, 2 sternwheeler, including a Union Tinclad..the USS Vampire...Michael

What this one is in my honour too? Too awsome!

There were some great tugs that Ross was selling. I converted one to a Confederate gunboat. Gave it to my Dad last year with some castings that I painted.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back