ACW wooden fences (1 Viewer)

rharry

Private 1st Class
I have used dark colored balsa wood for fences I wonder if anyone else has any tips on material for making fences????

I know some people use toothpics as the rails, which I don't like that much, but what I do is take a hammer and some king of small wedge- a knife, chisel, etc... and actually split the rails off a stick. I mean you can't get more authentic, it saves $$, and is very easy!

Hmmmm that an interesting concept.....not a lot sticks here is Arizona that I know of but maybe Home Depot would have something.....would be fun to go have a look see.....thanks

Oh... I live in the woods in Massachusets... Sometimes I forget... But I go into the woods with a pair of clippers and gather bundles of small strait sticks. You could split dowels:eek::) but good luck

I use match sticks I get at Michaels craft store, they make perfect snake rail fencing, but my scale of choice is 20mm, not 54/60mm, so they won't work for the larger scale figures.........

Those wood skewers that you use to make kebabs make great ACW fencing.
I have an old wargame mag thats has the run down on how to make snake fencing using these skewers.
Might give it a go over the Xmas break.

Use dried up lizards!!! haha

Hmmmm that an interesting concept.....not a lot sticks here is Arizona that I know of but maybe Home Depot would have something.....would be fun to go have a look see.....thanks

don't overlook the obvious...

popsickle sticks...

available at any Wal Mart or hobby store...

Try wooden coffee stirrers, too. They are good for scratchbuilding uses in scales from 1/72 up through 1/6.

They can be used as fence boards, clapboards on a house, porch or walkway planking/decking, and in the scale modeling world, they can be used for the Doug fir planking on US carrier decks or the wooden planking the Luftwaffe used on unfinished fields. I made a 54mm table out of coffee stirrer planks, using an old Phoenix white metal kit to get dimensions. And that's just a short list.

You can also get basswood strips at the hobby or craft stores, in roughly the same width as the coffee stirrers. I happened to get mine free, from the guy who delivers coffee to our office. I told him what I use them for, and he gave me two boxes, very nice fellow!

Hope that helps, prost!
Brad

Hi All,
I am the first one to say build your own as part of the fun of the hobby and some of your suggestions are pretty good.

With that said, take a look, at the W. Britain turnpike fence #17615 that I patterned. It is sold by the good folks here at Treefrog Treasures.

There are also the wood and stone snake rail fence made by me here at Hudson & Allen Studio. Both of these products are featured under the various ACW threads by Mike Estell and would be perfect for your Colonial and Civil War displays.

All the Best,
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back