AEF St. Chamond (1 Viewer)

Hoverbug

Private 2
Interesting photo I came across at the National Archives.33785 low-res.jpg33785 caption.jpg

Last edited:
An interesting photo seeing as how the tank is marked with a US, unless it is actually a number, possibly 115. I believe that heavy French tanks like the St. Chamond and Schneider, when used in support of US troops, were French crewed, part of the French Armor Corps. The US Tanks Corps first went into action in September, 1918, using Renaults. What heavy tanks the US actually manned within their heavy tank battalion (301st HTB) were British made MK.5's. I would be very interested to know the story behind this photo. -- Al

An interesting photo seeing as how the tank is marked with a US, unless it is actually a number, possibly 115. I believe that heavy French tanks like the St. Chamond and Schneider, when used in support of US troops, were French crewed, part of the French Armor Corps. The US Tanks Corps first went into action in September, 1918, using Renaults. What heavy tanks the US actually manned within their heavy tank battalion (301st HTB) were British made MK.5's. I would be very interested to know the story behind this photo. -- Al

Found a bit more about it here:

http://landships.activeboard.com/t31241208/another-us-st-chamond/?page=1&sort=newestFirst

Users who are viewing this thread

Back