AIP WW1 Conversions (1 Viewer)

binder001

Command Sergeant Major
Here are a few conversions that I did of the older sets of Armies In Plastic WW1 US Doughboys, starting with a bayonet chage;

Attachments

• AIP_US_WW! (3)-compressed.jpg
    AIP_US_WW! (3)-compressed.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 5,345
here are some conversions of the kneeling figure;

Attachments

• AIP_US_WW! (1)-compressed.jpg
    AIP_US_WW! (1)-compressed.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,015
Here's a couple close-ups of the MG team;

Attachments

• AIP_US_WW! (6)-compressed.jpg
    AIP_US_WW! (6)-compressed.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 714
  • AIP_US_WW! (7)-compressed.jpg
    AIP_US_WW! (7)-compressed.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,347
Here are some guys doing close combat;

Attachments

• AIP_US_WW! (5)-compressed.jpg
    AIP_US_WW! (5)-compressed.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,476
and a few more;

Attachments

• AIP_US_WW! (4)-compressed.jpg
    AIP_US_WW! (4)-compressed.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 682
I may borrow some of your conversion ideas to make more individuals from the "out of the box" poses. Putting those kneeling poses to more work is great.

I think I have a couple of spare shovel hands from the TSSD figures as well. I might give one to the Germans as well.

I think I have a couple of spare shovel hands from the TSSD figures as well. I might give one to the Germans as well.

Yup, the "proper" designation is "Entrenching Tool M1910", so that TSSD shovel is just right for WW1 and much of WW2.

I got inspired to do the WW1 guys from an earlier posting about the AIP guys on this forum and by a recent purchase of Bruce Canfield's excellent book on US Infantry Weapons of WW1. Fortunately my primary customer was interested in getting some of these done.

Gary B.

I thought if I used the military term you'd think I was showing off.

I just did some quick conversions. I don't paint the AIP figures so I'm trying to blend the joints.

001-5.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

Scott, nice work! The AIP plastic cuts pretty easy, don't you agree? It's still firm enough to allow mold line removal with a sharp knife.

Keep up the good work!

Gary B.

If you don't mind me asking. What were the base figures for the Machine gun crew? That looks really impressive.

Neat Conversions. If only the original sculpts were better. Not a big fan of AIP. Really seem inferior to Paragon, TSD, Conte , Barzsro sculpts.

AIPs look a lot like Britains hollow cast lead figures. Great figures for building big forces unlike Barszo's spindly legs and Paragon's tiny little heads and weapons.

Neat Conversions. If only the original sculpts were better. Not a big fan of AIP. Really seem inferior to Paragon, TSD, Conte , Barzsro sculpts.

I think AIP'S Arabs are on par with Conte's also the AIP Zulu War sets have much better weapons (less floppy) then the Contes.
Paragon have not impressed me at all yet and the only reason TSSD has perked my interest is becourse of the comming Romans ect.
AIP figures are just splendid to paint and i rather like there sculpting....but each the there own i geuss.

I think AIP'S Arabs are on par with Conte's also the AIP Zulu War sets have much better weapons (less floppy) then the Contes.
Paragon have not impressed me at all yet and the only reason TSSD has perked my interest is becourse of the comming Romans ect.
AIP figures are just splendid to paint and i rather like there sculpting....but each the there own i geuss.

Amen. That's what makes the hobby so interesting. Agreed , To Each His Own.
Makes me want to go listen to Frankie Laine's great recording of that song

If you don't mind me asking. What were the base figures for the Machine gun crew? That looks really impressive.

The gunner was basically the machine gunner from the Airfix "Infantry Support Group" He was back=dated to WW1 and "Americanized" with lower legs from AIP infantry, a new head, plus filler. I added a .45 holster and US canteen to his belt and voila - an American gunner behind a US M1915 Maxim machine gun. The ammo passer started as a kneeling rifleman with arms from Conte GIs. The gun was Airfix, and the ammo belt was a nice metal casting from Andrea (sold as an MG42 ammo belt).

The US Army was caught quite unprepared for WW1 and had to use machine guns from the French, the British and was finally getting meaningful numbers of Brownings (M1917) late in the war.

Gary B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back