Allegory in an Egg (1 Viewer)

blaster

Captain
I had made this allegorical painting by Angelo Bronzino painted for Francis I many years back. The painting features the King's mistress surrounded by Father Time, Rage, Muses and Cupid etc

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/famous-paintings/allegory-of-venus-and-cupid.htm

At that time, I had placed the whole scene in a Xmas decoration egg. The various elements are difficult to photograph and I took 3 pics below to show the scene. Note the hourglass on Father Times right shoulder, the masks, the pigeon, the strange lady behind Venus.

The decoration of the egg was only just completed over the weekend. I painted the egg with gold paint and created a crackle effect over the surface.

aa6.jpg

aa7.jpgaa8.jpgaa9.jpg

Quite a fun piece. I like what looks like a man pulling his hair out perhaps about the Chicken being inside the egg.

Steve

Hello Michael and Steve,

thanks for your inputs. Quite a fun piece.

Most of the figures were Preiser conversions except for Cupid which I fully sculpted.

Notice the strange anatomical distortions which are based on Mannerism.

That is a pigeon inside the egg.

In case anyone is wondering, I didn't insert the figures through the opening. The Xmas egg shell comes in two halves. No hair pulling from me....:)

Rgds Victor

Victor...there is no mistaking your's is a pigeon...I'm curios...can you show how the egg comes apart...

An Allegory with Venus and Cupid...
regarded as one of the greatest paintings of all time...

Bronzino, worked at the court of the Duke of Florence - Cosimo de' Medici (1519-74), later appointed Grand Duke of Tuscany by Pope Pius V. Unlike earlier members of the Medici family in Florence, like Lorenzo the Magnificent (1449-92), Cosimo was no connoisseur of the Florentine Renaissance, although he understood the propaganda value of art both for his family and the city. Bronzino - taught by Pontormo (1494-1556) and inspired by Michelangelo (1475-1564) - was appointed court painter to the Medici in 1540, becoming well known for his Renaissance portraits (of Cosimo, his family, and members of the court like Bartolomeo and Lucrezia Panciatichi) as well as his religious paintings and altarpieces. His particular style of Mannerist painting - which remained consistent across the genres - was deliberately cool and erudite, so as to appeal to a cultured, courtly audience that enjoyed visual puzzles. Cosimo commissioned An Allegory with Venus and Cupid as a gift for King Francis I of France - noted for his lusty adventures - whose own court at Fontainebleau was an active centre for Mannerist artists, including Italians like Francesco Primaticcio (1504-70) and Rosso Fiorentino (1494-1540). For more, see: Fontainebleau School of Mannerist Art (c.1528-1610).

Analysis of An Allegory with Venus and Cupid

This panel painting, also known as "Venus, Cupid, Folly, and Time" and "A Triumph of Venus", was purposely designed as a complex, erotic allegory that included a range of iconographic symbols and emblems from the world of mythology. At the same time, its composition provides Bronzino with ample opportunity to demonstrate his virtuoso figure painting and portrait art.

Attachments

• fff7adce2b6f999e6cf64a8a69c571447fa647c6e8dc5a3afe8f8a7a719fb208.jpg
    fff7adce2b6f999e6cf64a8a69c571447fa647c6e8dc5a3afe8f8a7a719fb208.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 122
Hi Mike,

The hard plastic egg shell is transversely divided vertically top to bottom, parallel to the picture frame. Both halves simply clip into place to form the egg shell, one side with an opening.

Here are the main disassembled parts before I had completed and placed them within the egg.

Rgds Victor

Picture1.jpg

Victor...
now that's some easy access...
how convenient that you can address each figure individually and then pin them back in...

I had made this allegorical painting by Angelo Bronzino painted for Francis I many years back. The painting features the King's mistress surrounded by Father Time, Rage, Muses and Cupid etc

At that time, I had placed the whole scene in a Xmas decoration egg. The various elements are difficult to photograph and I took 3 pics below to show the scene. Note the hourglass on Father Times right shoulder, the masks, the pigeon, the strange lady behind Venus.

The decoration of the egg was only just completed over the weekend. I painted the egg with gold paint and created a crackle effect over the surface.

That is amazing !

Well Done.

Thank you for posting these.

Hi Matt,

As always, thanks for your very gracious comments.

Rgds Victor

i had made this allegorical painting by angelo bronzino painted for francis i many years back. The painting features the king's mistress surrounded by father time, rage, muses and cupid etc

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/famous-paintings/allegory-of-venus-and-cupid.htm

at that time, i had placed the whole scene in a xmas decoration egg. The various elements are difficult to photograph and i took 3 pics below to show the scene. Note the hourglass on father times right shoulder, the masks, the pigeon, the strange lady behind venus.

View attachment 247769

View attachment 247770View attachment 247771View attachment 247772
sweet 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back