And Yet ANOTHER Idea for a New Pose... (1 Viewer)

Oldallamerican

Private 1st Class
Just when you THOUGHT EVERY conceivable pose for the Alamo had been done it occurred to me last night while doing some CTS Mexican conversions no one had done (to my knowledge) a pose that was probably the most common for the Mexican soldado in the period - advancing while firing from the waist.

One finds in several historical accounts of the campaign and the battle that the typical Mexican soldado didn't like firing his musket from the shoulder because of the kick of their "Brown Bess" muskets (which was the most common used by Santa Ana's Army). To reduce the kick they fired from the waist, during the battle on the advance. This greatly reduced the accuracy of their fire and probably flew in the face of any instruction they might (or might not) have received.

Anyway, in going over my figures (and I've accumulated figures from every company I know of who produced plastic figures that could be used in Santa Ana's Army) I found no plastic figure in that pose. The closest is the figure from BMC with the weapon pointed forward and up - perhaps that was the sculptor's intent?

All I can say to anyone considering producing Alamo Mexicans (hint, hint) if you don't have your masters completed a figure or two in that pose or close would be a great addition in my opinion...

Just sayin...

Just when you THOUGHT EVERY conceivable pose for the Alamo had been done it occurred to me last night while doing some CTS Mexican conversions no one had done (to my knowledge) a pose that was probably the most common for the Mexican soldado in the period - advancing while firing from the waist.

One finds in several historical accounts of the campaign and the battle that the typical Mexican soldado didn't like firing his musket from the shoulder because of the kick of their "Brown Bess" muskets (which was the most common used by Santa Ana's Army). To reduce the kick they fired from the waist, during the battle on the advance. This greatly reduced the accuracy of their fire and probably flew in the face of any instruction they might (or might not) have received.

Anyway, in going over my figures (and I've accumulated figures from every company I know of who produced plastic figures that could be used in Santa Ana's Army) I found no plastic figure in that pose. The closest is the figure from BMC with the weapon pointed forward and up - perhaps that was the sculptor's intent?

All I can say to anyone considering producing Alamo Mexicans (hint, hint) if you don't have your masters completed a figure or two in that pose or close would be a great addition in my opinion...

Just sayin...

Found this on the Paragon website. It's pretty close to what you suggested.IMG_4030.jpg

Just sayin...

Wasn't one of the BMC Mexican soldiers in that pose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back