Any ideas how to repair this figure? (1 Viewer)

steveo

Private 1st Class
Hi guys,i recently came across this Distler 1/24 figure in my collection and it has been on display but the leg that supports the horse and rider has snapped off just above the hoof ,this leg is the one that carries on all the weight!
I tried gel superglue but the same happens again:mad:The horse alone weighs in at just under a 1 pound or around 450grams without the rider.The 3rd image shows the size compared to a K&C figure and also the rider for horse.I know its badly designed because all the weights on one side,but its a shame to throw it away.The leg behind the broken leg,takes balance,but does not spread the load, so its still unstable:eek:

Attachments

• CIMG1449 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1449 (Small).JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 243
  • CIMG1450 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1450 (Small).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 236
  • CIMG1454 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1454 (Small).JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 238
Steveo,

I would try a two-part epoxy made for metal. Be sure to get it all fixtured up with supports while it dries. Show us the result when you can!

Hi, Steveo,

I agree with my colleague from across the river, but would add that you should drill out the hoof and leg and use a piece of stiff wire (some brass rod, or a piece of a paper clip, say), to pin the break and make the repair point stronger.

Prosit!
Brad

With all the talented people we have on the Forum, you should have no

problem fixing your figure.

I like the drill and peg idea Baron what type drill would you use?

Perhaps a Dremel Tool?

Njja

With all the talented people we have on the Forum, you should have no

problem fixing your figure.

I like the drill and peg idea Baron what type drill would you use?

Perhaps a Dremel Tool?

Njja

You could use a Dremel, but I wouldn't, without using the drill press stand and fixing the figure to a base securely, to keep it from rutsching. And I would do that, only with the figure's base, since it already has a flat bottom and can be held immobile most easily.

But I would actually use my pin vise and drill it by hand, especially the horse's leg. That's a narrow piece of material, so I would want to be able to go carefully, and for me, that's truer if I use handpower over the motor.

It's actually the same technique we would use if we were building a large resin figure. They're typically cast without locating pins, and so, modelers add pins, to add strength to the joint.

Prost!
Brad

Brad:

Thanks, as you can see I am not experienced in this field. I listen and watch

other members and pick up lots of great ideas. When I see people mention

pinning a repair it makes perfect sense......but how do you drill such a

delicate piece. Your answer makes perfect sense, and shows your level of

skill.

Thanks!

Njja

Thanks very much Njja, you're very kind to say that, but I must say, there are a lot of people far more talented, I just like to putter ;)

If you're interested in tips like these, I've found another great place to look is at a local chapter of a modeling club. We have a lot of crossover with scale modeling, and just like in our community here, everyone is very willing to share ideas.

Prosit!
Brad

Brad,

Forgot that part, the pinning! Jeweler's drill bits will work great with the pin vise, or hand drill. Good catch! Mike

Hi, Mike! You're right on with the jeweler's drill bits, too. I wish I could remember the sizes of the bits I use, but I can't, off the top of my head. I think the smallest is .06, but I'd have to check. The largest about as thick as the lead in #2 pencil.

Prosit!
Brad

Just remember,
STEVEO has to match the hole with the material. Maybe measure the paperclip and use the corresponding drill size. Mike

I am not familiar with this manufacturer and so do not know if the figure is metal or plastic, if metal it would be best to use low melt solder after pinning as described before. Clean the paint from around the joint, insert the pin but do not glue, use the solder instead. this will make a much stronger joint.

Hi, Mike! You're right on with the jeweler's drill bits, too. I wish I could remember the sizes of the bits I use, but I can't, off the top of my head. I think the smallest is .06, but I'd have to check. The largest about as thick as the lead in #2 pencil.

Prosit!
Brad

Thanks Brad & Mike, I have several Dremel tools & several drill bits for each of

them but of course they are far to large for such a project. Currently, I do

not have anything needing repair, but the next time I visit my local Hobby

Shop I will check out what they have, the drill & bits & pin vise might be

good items to have.

Njja

Thanks for the advice guys,a pin vice it is then,i leave soldering to the more experienced;)Well i have another distler figure and guess what nearly the same problem,not as bad though.:(
Distler polish lancer:
1st image i have managed to stop the bending and the balance by putting a small bit of twig under the hoof,i will paint it and try and match the base later.
2nd image the leg behind the twig repair,had lost most of the paint due having being been bent,it looks ok i think:confused:
3rd and 4th image just a general view and size comparison.
They are excellent figures for the money the above figure cost £9 ($18) at a local swapmeet also try ebay uk,the figures are white metal,the parent company is german,although manufactured in china(bit of a surprise)
I have included 2 web addresses as follows:
Company website:
http://www.schuco.de/uk/models/distler_figures.htm
and USA dealer:
http://www.germanaircooled.com/

regards steve

Attachments

• CIMG1456 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1456 (Small).JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 130
  • CIMG1457 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1457 (Small).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 131
  • CIMG1458 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1458 (Small).JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 130
  • CIMG1459 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1459 (Small).JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 128
£9?
That's a lot of lancer for your loolah! Great looking figures and the twig blends in nicely.

It occurred to me that you could add some scenic grass to the base, and disguise the twig as a clump of taller grass.

Some casting molds are made that way (eg, Prins August's 40mm dragoon and hussar), to help support a horse in gallop or a leap, they have a clump of grass sculpted from the base to the fetlock to cover it.

Prost!
Brad

Check ebay uk wraith, theres a couple of mounted figures starting at£4.99:eek:

I saw these in person a few years ago but wasn't impressed. The never releases look much better but as others stated they can't be combined with figures from a different make. I thought of getting a few but am not sure now after seeing the problems with the horses. Maybe this is a sign I should stick with colonials :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back