Anyone have any information on Little Wars toy soldiers? (1 Viewer)

MikeNick

Sergeant
Hello.
I purchased some Greek sets on eBay by a company called Little Wars.
Does anyone have information about this company? Is it still trading?
Is there contact info?
Thanks,
MikeNick

I've been trying to find anything about this "maker" myself. They are nice wherever and whoever is manufacturing them. Post here if you can rustle up anything about them, because I haven't been able to.

BTW,

Some conjectural deducing that I have done suggests to me that these are likely coming out of China, and our for the most part repops of pre-existing designs. The packaging resembles the old Counterpane line, which was I believe also sourced from China.

The major retailer for the Little Wars sets on ebay is located in the U.K. however.

I have a vague recollection that they were mentioned in Toy Soldier & Model Figure recently, in the new products section. If you subscribe, I'd check through back issues, or maybe at their website, if the content is online. I'm going to look, myself.

Prost!
Brad

I have a vague recollection that they were mentioned in Toy Soldier & Model Figure recently, in the new products section. If you subscribe, I'd check through back issues, or maybe at their website, if the content is online. I'm going to look, myself.

Prost!
Brad

That would be wonderful Brad, thank you. I see that we are both longtime patrons of Planetfigure forum as well. ;)

Yeah, but those are plastic. I think Mike is talking about metal figures in a gloss finish. I know that "Petite Guerre" means, "little war", but I'm not certain that we're talking about the same maker.

Prost!
Brad
You are right. Mine are made of metal.
Thanks,
MikeNick

Did the box lid have any label on it? That would be interesting to see.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,

Strangely, none of the listings from the primary U.K. ebay vendor who sells these feature a photo of the box top or labeling. Most appear to be repops of vintage Britains, and as I said before, I'd be willing to bet money that they originate in China.

I take it, then, that they're solid-cast?

These are the figures I thought of, though, when I mentioned Toy Soldier & Model Figure before. The figures I think I remember are more modern in the style of the sculpting. Those you show above are very much in the classic toy soldier style. We still have a bit of a mystery!

Prost!
Brad

Sorry, I notice a typo in my last post-these are not the figures I was thinking of.

I had a look at the figures up for auction on eBay. The seller has nearly 200 sets of Little Wars soldiers. They cover a broad range of subjects, though the time periods seem to be mostly British Emprie, followed by the American Civil War, with some WW II and Revolutionary War sets.

The seller has included this comment in his descriptions:

"These figures look like they have been re-cast from a Britains base.
Nicely painted and detailed in the Britains first grade style of painting."​

I'm inclined to agree with his description; they certainly do seem similar enough to Britain's classic hollowcasts, to think that whoever produced this line started with some basic figures and added his modifications.

I'd be surprised, though, if these came from Red China. They just don't seem to be the kind of toy soldiers that anyone is producing there. My guess is that the maker was in the UK, or perhaps the US or Canada. But who knows? In the meantime, I'm still looking to see if I can find any reference to them anywhere.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back