Applying decals to matte finish. (1 Viewer)

Usually they reccomend that a gloss goes on matte paint where you want to put your decals then when gloss is dry apply decals then recoat with a flat varnish. You can't tell by eyeing the matte paint but it is not that smooth. Most plane and armor modellers will use gloss then apply decals and recoat with matte. Leadmen (John).

You can buy a matte varnish spray and use that after you apply your decals.

As a long-time modeller I agree with Leadmen. If you need to decal use a gloss, at most "egg shell" finish, apply the decal and recoat with flat. Applying a water-slide decal over a matte (flat) finish will generall trap air, leading to "silvering", caused by tiny air bubbles caught in the finish.

I generally use Testors' DullCote, most often out of a spray can. It's available in most places, it generaly works well, and usually doesn't attack fully cured paint. Use a little at a time, too much creates a milky final finish.

Someday when I get around to shooting pictures, I'll show some of my Airfix Multipose figures done as an MP and a medic. Both have their helmet markings done as described above.

Testors does tend to get milky if too much is applied. I started using Gamesworkshop matte spray which is much easier to use and I haven't had to deal with any milky spray because its very thin.

I try to use dry transfers instead of wet decals. However, if I have to use the wet method, I have used all of the methods suggested and they all have worked to one extent or another. My one bit of advice is to be patient and follow the directions on what ever you use to pre-finish the surface. Be willing to try again and that sometimes means to have a second set of decals ready. Sometimes when mistakes are made, and I sure do make a lot of them, I try to use the mistake in some-sort-of wearing look. I take a paint brush and get it wet in some compatible color and texture of paint and then try to remove the majority of it in a paper towel, leaving just enough to sort-of dust the paint on. Sometimes I use chaulk powder and dry paint a very thin layer on over the decal to take the shine off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back