Bagpipers. (1 Viewer)

Ian Scout

Private
I collect model soldiers but now only bagpipers or sappers. Good quality models, K%C or Britains Museum stuff.

I have over 20 so far but if anyone knows of early models available or other manufacturers I would appreciate a heads up.

Ian.

Buck. Thanks for the pic of the piper.

I have one just like this but it is made by delPrado. It is of the 71st highlanders. model number on the bottom is blurred but it looks like SNP 022.

The pipe banner is of a different color from yours. Mine is a pale yellow, the same color as a regular cardboard box.

Can you send me a good identification of your model. I am most interested.

Thanks.

iang

Hello Ian,
It is not just Scottish Regiments who had pipers.
See below the link for La Meridiana's piper from The 40th.(Pathan) Regiment, Bengal infantry, circa 1895.
It states to be 54mm in size but is much nearer to 75mm.
It is available from El Greco in the U.K. see link below. There may be a supplier nearer to you.

40th Pathan Rgt. Bengal Inf, 1895 - La Meridiana - El Greco Miniatures – El Greco Miniatures Ltd.

Attempted to display box art image below but no luck, so hope the above link works. Same with a picture of my figure.

Yours,
Douglas

Hello Ian,
See below the link for La Meridiana's piper from The 40th.(Pathan) Regiment, Bengal infantry, circa 1895.
It is available from El Greco in the U.K. see link below. There may be a supplier nearer to you.

40th Pathan Rgt. Bengal Inf, 1895 - La Meridiana - El Greco Miniatures – El Greco Miniatures Ltd.

Attempted to display box art image below but no luck, so hope the above link works. Same with a picture of my figure.

Yours,
Douglas

Thanks for the note Douglas.

You are correct about not all pipers being Scottish. The Irish Guards have a pipe band dressed in saffron color kilts and many armies from the former Brit Empire such as Pakistan, Canada and Jordan have pipers. Some years ago there was a display of pipers from the French navy at the Edinburg Tattoo.

As far as diecast models are concerned I have two non Scots military in my collection. First is an Indian army piper K&C SOE 018. Second is John MacGregor playing his pipes during the siege of the Alamo, K&C RTA 072.

I checked out the link . It is a resin model and I do not really like these. They seem to lose their color in my experience. I will check it out again.

Thanks for all of your comments and observations.

iang

Thanks for the note Douglas.

You are correct about not all pipers being Scottish. The Irish Guards have a pipe band dressed in saffron color kilts and many armies from the former Brit Empire such as Pakistan, Canada and Jordan have pipers. Some years ago there was a display of pipers from the French navy at the Edinburg Tattoo.

As far as diecast models are concerned I have two non Scots military in my collection. First is an Indian army piper K&C SOE 018. Second is John MacGregor playing his pipes during the siege of the Alamo, K&C RTA 072.

I checked out the link . It is a resin model and I do not really like these. They seem to lose their color in my experience. I will check it out again.

Thanks for all of your comments and observations.

iang

RTA072(s)_216_162_1393379164.jpg96af93e43aaaa12bade826bdd5634703.jpg

Buck. Many thanks for the pic of the piper.

I was very interested in that I did some researching.

It is a rather strange happening. It seems that delPrado and K&C have exactly the same model. The only difference is the background color of the pipe banner and the corporal stripes on the arm of the K&C model.

This shows without a doubt that there is some link between the two manufacturers. I am curious about who made the original. Also are there other models that either of these manufacturers shared with each other or with other makers.

Ian.

Hello Ian,

Yours,
Douglas

Hi again Douglas.

I checked out the contact link that you kindly provided.

It looks great. However I note that they are sold unpainted. The very idea that I could paint anything that complicated is out of the question. Surely the company must realize this.

They also have many other fine models. If they can paint one for a photo for the internet I wonder why they cannot get an artist to paint a whole line. I would think that they would increase their business and profit.

Thanks again for the link.

ian.

I collect model soldiers but now only bagpipers or sappers. Good quality models, K%C or Britains Museum stuff.

I have over 20 so far but if anyone knows of early models available or other manufacturers I would appreciate a heads up.

Ian.

Hi Ian, I have an early K&C WW2 Scots Piper (EA02) which I could probably sell on eBay but would be happy to send to you as a gift. It’s unboxed but otherwise in good condition. PM if this is something you’d be interested in. I’ll even throw in the postage from the UK but any tax etc. you’ll have to sort that out. Cheers. Simmo.
FA80F005-3E05-4BD4-B263-90454BA3E11A.jpeg

Hi Ian, I have an early K&C WW2 Scots Piper (EA02) which I could probably sell on eBay but would be happy to send to you as a gift. It’s unboxed but otherwise in good condition. PM if this is something you’d be interested in. I’ll even throw in the postage from the UK but any tax etc. you’ll have to sort that out. Cheers. Simmo.
View attachment 302621

Simmo.

What a wonderful offer. You are most kind. However I do have this model already only it is a K&C BBB009. There may be subtle differences but they are very slight. This brings up a point. I recently had a conversation with Stanley at Sagers Soldiers and he claims that K&C make models for other manufactures. this explains some of the similarities that I have noticed.

Right now I am seeking K&C DD117. This is a Canadian WWII piper.

Again I thank you for your generous offer. Maybe there is another bagpiper collector who needs it..

Ian.

Hello everybody especially bagpiper collectors.

I have now enlarged my collection by two models. I bought them through Etsy. They were made in Kazakhstan by SilverDreamStudioArt.

The two models are well made, solid metal, well painted, including the kilt which is always a test for the accuracy of the manufacturer. Standard 54MM height.

Silver Dream only makes a model to order and only after receiving payment. I know this is a matter of concern to most collectors but I took a chance. (not many suppliers make bagpiper models of quality). The first model was of the 42nd Royal Highlanders in 1815 and the second was the 92nd Scottish Regiment also 1815.
Unfortunately neither model comes with a model number. The models came very well packed in Styrofoam in a very sturdy box.

I have to state that in my experience Etsy are a difficult company to deal with. Getting "help" is impossible. Just check the reviews on the internet and you can see for yourself.
That being said the prices were very reasonable. The 42nd cost $55.33 USD including postage and the 92nd was 84.94 USD including postage from Kazakhstan.

The lead time from ordering to delivery was about two and a half months.

If you want to follow my lead be careful. Both models are pictured on the Etsy website but there were several prices given. I had to sort through several sites from both Etsy and SilverDream itself to find the lowest price. However once I placed my order I got the price I had clicked on.

Unfortunately the first order (the 42nd) was placed twice. This could have been my error. So I eventually received three models.
When I tried to contact Etsy to cancel the second order and proceed to the third I just could not get a response form Etsy. Nothing at all. They openly state they have no telephone contact.

One added bonus, I received a bunch of colorful Kazakhstan stamps for my stamp album.

If someone cares to send me instructions about how to send photo's to this forum I will send them. (hi8xig@gmail.com)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back