Best glues (1 Viewer)

Spitfrnd

Banned
I expect this is buried somewhere in some earlier thread but I was wondering what the folks here recommend as glues for repairing metal figures with the least amount of clear up (if any)?

Same question for plastics?

Thanks much.

I have always used a gel type super glue for assembling metal castings, I find that it doesn't run.

Jeff

Zap-A-Gap!!!! Great stuff for both metals and plastics. I,ve assembled a ton of casting kits with this glue and never had any problems. I also use this on my plastic conversion work and to fix just about anything around the house also. $7 bucks gets you a bottle that seams to last forever.

I use both fast-acting CA glue (like fishead19690's Zap-a-Gap) and a 2-part epoxy, which is probably the same thing that Jeff is talking about. Both have their advantages and specific uses.

I've settled on Hobbytown's own brand for both.

Fast-acting CA (the C is "cyano-", I forget the "A", is it "acetate"?) often is used in conjunction with an accelerator. Zap-a-Gap has one. You flow the glue onto the area to be glued, then spray a quick shot of the accelerator, which contains a catalyst that speeds up the drying time. Though most fast-acting glues dry in seconds, anyway (mind your fingers!)

2-part epoxies consist of a glue and a catalyst, which you must mix, usually in equal parts. They set in about 5 minutes, and take longer to cure to full hardness, so their advantage is that you can make adjustments while the glue cures.

I have read that, in the long run, the fast-acting glues become brittle, so the join might tend to break if the figure falls over. In contrast, 2-part epoxies have been said to have stronger joins that last longer. But we're talking years, decades, really, and I don't know if anyone has ever done a proper, scientific study on either glue's holding power.

Both can be used to fill gaps, too. Fast-acting CA glue can be flowed into a gap, hardened with the accelerator, then sanded and painted. 2-part epoxy can, too, but you want to let it cure fully, before working it.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Bradley

I'm with Brad. I use CA (commonly known as super glue in the UK) for some, usually more delicate jobs) and a good 2 part epoxy for other jobs where I need a more substantial repair or join (for instance, glueing a metal figure's feet to a base).

Thanks all. So I take it from this that to re-attach a broken metal arm where there is no gap would take a CA glue like Zap-a-Gap, which seems to come in a thin version (Zap-a-Gap Slo)?

The best repair method relies less on the glue than the support you give the part. If you have any skill at small stuff, or know a modeler, the strongest joint will come from drilling into each side of the joint and spanning it with a piece of wire. A "pinned and glued" joint will be stronger and longer lasting than just glue alone.

Word of warning - many types of ACC ("super glues") leave a whitish residue after curing. Less is more - use only what you need. One suggestion is to put a dab of whatever glue you're using onto a piece of wax paper and transfer the glue with a toothpick. Further, more ACC does not create a stronger joint, but ironically often a weaker one. You want glue bonding to metal, not glue bonding to glue.

Last comment - even though ACC sets up fast, leave your repair alone for a while. If you can put the figure where the repaired arm will be supported while the glue stes up to maximum strength. Handle the repaired figure gently - most super glues are not good at handling "shock" forces.

Gary

Yes, Gary makes a good point, part of repairing is pinning, wherever possible. A simple butt join will be weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back