Best way to display your collection (1 Viewer)

MaterJace98

Private
I know this isn't exactly a "how-to" part of the forum, but I was wondering what would be the best way to display your collection. I'm rather new to collecting and my current display case is becoming too small for my growing collection. I imagine most people have display cases. I have a little bit of a space constraint so I was thinking maybe a case that would fit on a shelf. I have researched display cases on the internet and most of the ones I have come across are only for sporting memorabilia. I think I might have to have one custom made so it will fit the space I have.

I put them directly on the shelves...The colours are more realistic seen without a screen of glass or plastic and also some dust make them more realistic.:p

Hi MJ - as sort of a newbie to the whole "toy soldier thing", I find this a great topic. I have two collections going at this time: one a 1/32 scale tabletop diorama; and the other, a collection of 1/30 K&C and Collector's Showcase items.

One of the challenges; I find, is that with limited space and use of bookshelf storage is that your vehicles and soldiers get dusty really quick (esp. if you live in more arid areas). I love the freedom of placement on a tabletop dio, especially for photographing, but the dust is something to consider. I prefer not to have all my pieces coated with dust but understand that some like the aging/realism that dust creates.

I've seen many here post images of curio cabinets that I think is an excellent way to display and store your items. Glass helps keep the dust off and one can display a few pieces together for small scenes. Limitation is that larger scenes are not possible. I'm using an entertainment center to display my K&C but I know that I will eventually overtake the glass covered shelf space. Book ends are part of the expansion plan. I would seriously look into a curio if you could make the space. If you ever pursue another collection/hobby, you could use a curio for something else.

Another option; but one I have not tried for K&C, is the use of wall shelves. I use this method for a small collection of trains. I like being able to see them but they do get rather dusty. Just a thought.

It will be interesting to read other thoughts on this subject. Good luck deciding on a best method for your K&C/toy soldiers.

Finally a use for the panoramic setting on my iphone5. Some pics of my toy soldier room. I love these plexi glass wall cabinets. They allow you to see everything plus they have mirrored backs. Since this is my toy room I had no need for a clothes closet, so i filled it with floor to ceiling glass shelves for larger items. Eventually I will have custom book cases, track lighting, and some scenery on my dio table. Only been working on it for three years :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice Paul and dust free (cool shot as well). I use a very small standing 5-shelf plexi glass jewelry case to display some older 1/32 scale figures. I had not seen a larger wall version as you've pictured. Great display method.

I put them directly on the shelves...The colours are more realistic seen without a screen of glass or plastic and also some dust make them more realistic.:p
I prefer to have mine behind glass to protect them from dust, but I can see you would put them on a shelf without glass to add the extra realism from the collected dust.

Hi MJ - as sort of a newbie to the whole "toy soldier thing", I find this a great topic. I have two collections going at this time: one a 1/32 scale tabletop diorama; and the other, a collection of 1/30 K&C and Collector's Showcase items.

One of the challenges; I find, is that with limited space and use of bookshelf storage is that your vehicles and soldiers get dusty really quick (esp. if you live in more arid areas). I love the freedom of placement on a tabletop dio, especially for photographing, but the dust is something to consider. I prefer not to have all my pieces coated with dust but understand that some like the aging/realism that dust creates.

I've seen many here post images of curio cabinets that I think is an excellent way to display and store your items. Glass helps keep the dust off and one can display a few pieces together for small scenes. Limitation is that larger scenes are not possible. I'm using an entertainment center to display my K&C but I know that I will eventually overtake the glass covered shelf space. Book ends are part of the expansion plan. I would seriously look into a curio if you could make the space. If you ever pursue another collection/hobby, you could use a curio for something else.

Another option; but one I have not tried for K&C, is the use of wall shelves. I use this method for a small collection of trains. I like being able to see them but they do get rather dusty. Just a thought.

It will be interesting to read other thoughts on this subject. Good luck deciding on a best method for your K&C/toy soldiers.
I think I might just have enough space for a small glass cabinet that would stand alone, not on a shelf. It should be more than big enough for my current collection. Maybe even big enough for some diorama buildings to add some interest! If this doesn't work out, than I guess I'll have to figure out a way to put my collection in a case that would fit on a shelf.

Just some random thoughts and suggestion.

I am working on a 1/30 plane and have decided that for now it is going to be a stored item pulled out for occasional show and photo due to chronic space limits.

Used furniture can be found cheaper than dirt. You can get a used bookcase, cabinet or shelf unit and put your own glass or acrylic front on it.

Look for retail closures where they sometimes sell off the fixtures. I have seen acrylic cube stands which are very expensive if you have one made to order, jewelry cabinets etc.

For those with thick wallets Hobby Lobby etc have special museum glass that is clear nonreflective which can be used for display fronts.

I am fortunate to have three rooms of my house dedicated to Toy Soldiers (Display Room, Storage Room, and Library/Computer Room). I have used various means to display my collection (Open shelves, Diorama table, and various display cases based on subject matter). Below are photos of these display methods, one of which is like Paul's plexiglass shelf cases (which you can find with slide locks....grandchildren defense mechanism). {sm4} Curio Cabinets.JPGDomed Cases.JPGFor Gun Carriages.JPGFor Special Collections.JPGPlexiglass Display Case.JPG

I know this isn't exactly a "how-to" part of the forum, but I was wondering what would be the best way to display your collection. I'm rather new to collecting and my current display case is becoming too small for my growing collection. I imagine most people have display cases. I have a little bit of a space constraint so I was thinking maybe a case that would fit on a shelf. I have researched display cases on the internet and most of the ones I have come across are only for sporting memorabilia. I think I might have to have one custom made so it will fit the space I have.

"MasterJace98":

Ah yes, proper display space can be more of a problem that the cost of the miniatures which indeed has really gone up since 2007. While I have many displays & dioramas on wall shelves & tables I have also used the tops & inside of bookcases to include diorama backdrops and ground cover, etc to good effect. Getting good lighting into the bookshelves is a key thing to obtain. I have found that when you use diorama material such as sand, fake grass, etc dust does not really become a problem. If you would want to see some of my photos of my bookcase dioramas send me a Treefrog Pvt Message with your regular E-mail address and I will be happy to send you some photos. In any case, have fun with your hobby!

"iron Brigade"

"Iron Brigade"

I use barrister bookcases.
They come in all sizes (width, depth and height) and you can stack them as you want.
Easy to move from a room to another. Have front glass tilting doors. You can add mirror in back and custom lighting if you want. Very easy to open door without the door beeing between you and your collection. And no dust for me please !
Cheers
Alex

I use barrister bookcases.
They come in all sizes (width, depth and height) and you can stack them as you want.
Easy to move from a room to another. Have front glass tilting doors. You can add mirror in back and custom lighting if you want. Very easy to open door without the door beeing between you and your collection. And no dust for me please !
Cheers
Alex
Great idea, but don't you need a base?

RE: Fort-Stamford ......WOW!

And I remember a few decades ago in the UK you could buy those phone booths for scrap value. Not anymore!

What's the best way? Do what Jim Hillestad did--build a new house for your collection ;)

I make use of the Internet. I have basically no display space at this time, so my major displays consist of galleries on forums like this one.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back