Bit of help and guidance required (1 Viewer)

The Irishman

Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I have been collecting for about 12 years and have a large collection of king and country, collectors showcase, conte and Thomas Gunn. I collect battle of the Bulge, Alamo(due to my Texas wife) and Napoleonics.

I have only ever seen First Legion figures in pictures as there are not many shops in Ireland and none that sell this range. Can anyone advise how well FL Napoleonics will go with K&C, CS and TG figures. I am considering 95th rifles at the moment.

Hi everyone,

I have been collecting for about 12 years and have a large collection of king and country, collectors showcase, conte and Thomas Gunn. I collect battle of the Bulge, Alamo(due to my Texas wife) and Napoleonics.

I have only ever seen First Legion figures in pictures as there are not many shops in Ireland and none that sell this range. Can anyone advise how well FL Napoleonics will go with K&C, CS and TG figures. I am considering 95th rifles at the moment.

I have both KC and CS Napoleonic pieces, I have to say foremost is that it really depends on the First legion pieces. I do not have the 95th rifles. I have the Highlander, which is going to run the same height as the Coldstream Guards of KC. The Collectors showcase guards runs a tad more larger. The 1st Guards of FL is a bit smaller. So same make but a slight difference. In size The other thing that you have to contend with honestly, is once You buy First Legion products, I am going to bet. That you will only buy FL products. They are that Great looking.

I think FL figures are great figures -- the best out there -- but I don't think they will go with K & C, etc. because the painting and sculpting styles are quite different. However, if you're a Napoleonics collector, I think you have to collect FL because no one makes as many and different Napoleonics as they do.

FL naps are amazing but i do not think that their 95th rifles are their best naps.. Go with french old guard, prussians or the scots... Amazing

Thank you both for your advice it is much appreciated

Hi everyone,

hello the Irishman,
visit this link :http://www.firstlegionltd.com/scale.aspx
on the manufacturer website FL (explanations and comparisons scale)
attached some phtos parts of my collection (Napoleon FL but not brand Andrea 54mm smaller)

I collect only Napoleonics FL for 5 years, but as already mentioned by other members, their products are unique and very addictive!
Do not hesitate to visit my blog (large photos)
Best.
Guy.

Hello Irishman,
I would just like to add, that as a lifelong Napoleonic collector I would highly recommend First Legion to anyone with a love of the period. I really feel you owe it to yourself to buy a First Legion figure and have a look. Not only do they offer Nations and units that no other matte manufacture company does but IMO they are the Finest factory produced Napoleonic figures I have had the pleasure to own. Regards and happy collecting no matter what your choice . regards Gebhard

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me. I am going to buy a couple of First Legion figures probably 95th rifles or 18th line infantry.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me. I am going to buy a couple of First Legion figures probably 95th rifles or 18th line infantry.

I have some of the 18th. French Line (12 pieces). They all Look stunningly great!!!. They are a great example of the First Legion miniatures. As soon as You get them. You will get hooked.

Have to agree as far a non glossy pieces go FL are hard to beat. I only have 4 out of I would guess guess 300 total pieces but they are beautiful indeed. I am really buying more glossy these days but still have a deep craving for more FL pieces :)

I visted the First Legiion site and looked at the pictures
They described them a 60mm and put a ruler behind
They mesure from the sole of the base

The classical mesure ( univrsal rule ) is ( or at least must be ): 54mm from the sole of the foot to the eyes for a standing figure on guard .
In real life there is no army were everybody has exactly the same size... so no problem; you can mix different makers, some figures will be slightly smaller, and some bigger.. as in real life

Best

here are some pic's from my collection , for the foot soldiers i only have King and country and First legion to compare , for the horse i have all 3 makes.

Attachments

• IMG_1232a.jpg
    IMG_1232a.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1233b.jpg
    IMG_1233b.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1234a.jpg
    IMG_1234a.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1235b.jpg
    IMG_1235b.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1236b.jpg
    IMG_1236b.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 147
more

Attachments

• IMG_1239b.jpg
    IMG_1239b.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1240b.jpg
    IMG_1240b.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1243b.jpg
    IMG_1243b.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1241b.jpg
    IMG_1241b.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 145
horse .. king and country is on the left first legion in middle and CS is on the right

Attachments

• IMG_1244a.jpg
    IMG_1244a.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1245a.jpg
    IMG_1245a.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1246b.jpg
    IMG_1246b.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1247b.jpg
    IMG_1247b.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1248a.jpg
    IMG_1248a.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 144
I visted the First Legiion site and looked at the pictures
They described them a 60mm and put a ruler behind
They mesure from the sole of the base

The classical mesure ( univrsal rule ) is ( or at least must be ): 54mm from the sole of the foot to the eyes for a standing figure on guard .
In real life there is no army were everybody has exactly the same size... so no problem; you can mix different makers, some figures will be slightly smaller, and some bigger.. as in real life

Best
I do not know what you mean by the universal rule since best I have been able to tell is there is no universal rule for measuring figure size, which is rather frustrating at times. To me it doesn't really matter which rule you use so long as you are making common measurements. However, while measures are indicative, nothing beats the old eyeball for comparision, as I think the photos posted in this thread show very well.

I agree with others here that FL offers the most beautiful and diverse offering of Napoleonic figures of any size on the planet. I do not find that they mix well with anything other than some of the Russian figures for the most part, although I have found that some K&C cavalry figures that do fit reasonably well. The best thing you can do is try some. In the unlikely event you don't like them, I am sure you will be able to find someone to take them off your hands. FWIW, I think the FL 95th and 18th Line are both great lines that any Napoleonic collector would enjoy.

I think FL figures are great figures -- the best out there -- but I don't think they will go with K & C, etc. because the painting and sculpting styles are quite different. However, if you're a Napoleonics collector, I think you have to collect FL because no one makes as many and different Napoleonics as they do.

That's my opinion too.

Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back