BMC Toys (1 Viewer)

"IF" I owned a hobby shop I'd have a corner for BMC aimed at new and young collectors. Their accessory buildings and vehicles have great conversion possibilities. While the sculpting on most figures is "folk art" looking, the variety of subjects is great for creating massive armies at low price of the major and legendary US conflicts. I know of an NPS Park Ranger at Antietam that build two model armies to demonstrate the Battle of Antietam to school kids. Glad BMC will get a new incarnation.

As bad as the figure sculpts were, except for Iwo Jima. Their accessseries were excellent. And I believe the price tag for a playset was around $20, you can't beat that.
Gary

As bad as the figure sculpts were, except for Iwo Jima. Their accessseries were excellent. And I believe the price tag for a playset was around $20, you can't beat that.
Gary

Yup, they were cheap; around $20 at Toys R Us. I used to buy all these sets for my kids when they first came out, back in the '90s. We had great fun with these toys.

Its too bad BMC playsets had such bad figure sculpts.

Plastic General.

When Bill first started selling them, they were designed to be marketed via mass merchandisers and were geared towards kids, not adult collectors, so the sculpts were fine for the intended target market at the time.

As an unexpected bonus for Bill, adult collectors liked them, so he tapped into two market segments, he was thrilled with that, which is why as Gary said he advanced the sculpting on the Iwo Jima set by teaming up with K & C and the rest is history....................

This is very good news. I only see the WW2 items listed. I hope they reissue the Little Big Horn, San Juan Hill and Alamo pieces too. I'd love to get more teepees and I missed the Alamo accessories.

I had heard a number of years ago that Bill had approached King and County about adapting some of the Battle of the Bulge range for a plastic playset. That would have been fantastic and would still be something to see. I feel it would sell well with collectors and if the price point was still affordable, it would allow many of us older folk to buy sets as gifts for the youngsters and maybe turn a few more on to plastic soldiers.

Gary

YES, I agree on that playset regarding the figures.
They should have always used other peoples sculpts.

This is very good news. I only see the WW2 items listed. I hope they reissue the Little Big Horn, San Juan Hill and Alamo pieces too. I'd love to get more teepees and I missed the Alamo accessories.

The chapel facade is the best piece of the set.

Church3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back