Bright & Shiney JJD - French Artillery (2 Viewers)

Dragoon

Sergeant Major
Since John only does mat finished figures and I prefer gloss, I end up doing a little repainting and gloss coating to my Jenkins sets to give them some old toy soldier charm.

Here's some JJD French artillery from the Seven Years War. I repainted the faces and also a good part of the uniforms with brighter shades of the same color. Then each figure is given two coats of an acrylic clear gloss.

FR_ART.jpg

That is awesome {bravo}}
I love that stuff.
Great idea, great job :salute::
Konrad

Ken..............

FANTASTIC JOB

I never though glossies could look so good!!!

:salute::

{eek3}My eyes!!!!!!! I'm blind!!!^&cool

Seriously, nice painting. I'm not a glossy fan, but these are really nicely done. You still have some nice shading and highlights.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Matthew

WOW your work looks amazing, they really pop.
I don't collect gloss, but I can see the attraction now.

Donnie

since john only does mat finished figures and i prefer gloss, i end up doing a little repainting and gloss coating to my jenkins sets to give them some old toy soldier charm.

Here's some jjd french artillery from the seven years war. I repainted the faces and also a good part of the uniforms with brighter shades of the same color. Then each figure is given two coats of an acrylic clear gloss.

View attachment 81422

awesome, i wish they would take your idea and run with it. I miss trophy type gloss. Jjd could offer that more realistic figure but still in gloss

Simply wonderful work. The charm and warmth of gloss sets is only something I have learned to appreciate in the last year or so. I would love to see JJD re-release BoM in gloss. Indian sets in gloss .......

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like them. I know glossies aren't for everyone, but they do seem to have a certain charm about them.

Will try to post a few more pics of some different JJD sets a little later when a chance. - Ken

Very nice painting of your Jenkin's figures in gloss. I am partial to gloss and I enjoy viewing your work. John

Nicely done! Right up my alley.

John's figures are very nice, of course, in their stock matte finish. But his sculpts and the castings do lend themselves very nicely to the classic gloss finish, just like Tradtion castings or Staddens, Imrie-Risley, etc.

It's a shame they're not available as castings, too, for us painters.

Prost!
Brad

Ken,

I really liked the Jacobites and British Infantry you shared a while ago. ^&cool The original JJD figures are great in their own right, but your enhanced painting and gloss varnish finish has turned them into probably the nicest glossy figures I have seen.

{bravo}}{bravo}}

Jeff

Thanks Leadmen, Rev, Brad & Jeff.
Here are a few more reworked JJD figures from the French and Indian War series. Two grenadiers of the 42nd Black Watch and group of grenadiers of the 44th Rgmt.

42ndBW.jpg44th.jpg

interesting the second Grenadier from the right Ken,
is that from the QB-02 'Death of General Wolfe' repainted with yellow cuffs and a musket in the left hand,
nice conversion and addition to the 44th

Brilliant, the BoM sets look simply fantastic. Earlier last month while at the Toy Soldier Museum, I asked John about releasing the full BoM series in gloss. He said that he never even considered it and then the conversation moved onto another topic. Looking at these, I should have held the topic longer.

If you are repainting in gloss, you might consider doing some of the highlanders with royal blue facings instead of the buff. After Ticonderoga, the 42nd was awarded "royal" status and had the flag and facing colors changed to the royal blue ---- for Bushy Run. I am very confident that you could sell those figures to at least 2 forum members !!!

interesting the second Grenadier from the right Ken,<BR>is that from the QB-02 'Death of General Wolfe' repainted with yellow cuffs and a musket in the left hand, <BR>nice conversion and addition to the 44th
Greetings Risorgimento, The figure you're speaking of is the Sergeant from set BM-07. the image is catching the halberd in a side view, so it hard to see the blade.

Brilliant, the BoM sets look simply fantastic. Earlier last month while at the Toy Soldier Museum, I asked John about releasing the full BoM series in gloss. He said that he never even considered it and then the conversation moved onto another topic. Looking at these, I should have held the topic longer.

If you are repainting in gloss, you might consider doing some of the highlanders with royal blue facings instead of the buff. After Ticonderoga, the 42nd was awarded "royal" status and had the flag and facing colors changed to the royal blue ---- for Bushy Run. I am very confident that you could sell those figures to at least 2 forum members !!!

It would be great if John offered some of his lines in gloss. The uniforms of the 18th & 19th Centuries really come to life in a glossy finish.
I would think a good number of collectors would come over to the gloss side if they saw how eye-catching well painted gloss figures can be.

It would be great if John offered some of his lines in gloss. The uniforms of the 18th & 19th Centuries really come to life in a glossy finish.
I would think a good number of collectors would come over to the gloss side if they saw how eye-catching well painted gloss figures can be.

"Gotta love the Glossy"!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back