Broken leg Repair (1 Viewer)

kilted vampire

Lieutenant Colonel
Sometimes original shipping packages do not protect the figures. Altaya /Frontline blister packs are not so hot. Here is a good example of blisterpack protection or the lack of.

Now, I do not know about you guys but this is an attractive figure and worth more than the $25.00 they charge for it. so what to do? Glad you asked! We are going to fix this here little feller!

The first thing I will do is file the damaged area flat. ie: the two ends of the leg and hoof.

After flatenning the ends, I take a pin vise and a drill bit that is slightly larger than the pin I will use to join the leg. We want to go fairly deep to get a good joint. 1/4 inch or more. Both ends!

KV,
That's a major break! How are you going to reattach the crusader to his horse? And what is that off the horse's leg, detachable shoes?;)Mike

Here we can see the pin inserted and glued (CA) into the leg. Once it is set we will trim the pin a little then drill the hoof a little deeper as well to get a good fit. The reason for the oversize hole is to allow moving the hoof and leg until we have proper alignment. Glueing the hoof is next.

The leg and hoof glued and in alignment. Almost done!

The leg with miliput. I will let this dry. Sand and paint tomorrow as well as the other leg which did suffer some paint loss.

This is a fairly easy repair to make. Time in would be less than half an hour. Taking the pictures added time to the project. The nice thing is I get to keep the figure. Could have melted it down.:eek: I need the metal.:p But, I really liked this figure! Later I will post the finished job and you will see!

I'm glad you were able to save the horse usually they are shot because the have a broken leg. Great tips. :)

Yo Trooper, its great to see you skilled people at work, and saving some of the good pieces. What size drills do you use, also can you do the same with the Old Britains Hollow cast, them being a lot more delicate an item. This part of the forum is great to look at.
Bernard. :D

Yo Trooper, its great to see you skilled people at work, and saving some of the good pieces. What size drills do you use, also can you do the same with the Old Britains Hollow cast, them being a lot more delicate an item. This part of the forum is great to look at.
Bernard. :D

The drill bit was probably 1/16 th inch. Could be 3/64th I am not sure. Pin was 1/32 inch. A pin vise kit will sometimes include repair rod as well. One can do the same with the hollowcast. If the leg is not solid all the easier!

If I may chime in about hollowcast, sometimes you don't need to drill, but just find the right-sized pin to use. For example, a Grenadier Guard's head is hollow (no offense meant to any Guards vets in the audience), as is the body, and you can use a thicker piece of wire, or even a thinner wooden dowel or matchstick on that join.

If you're good enough with a soldering iron, for Britain's, you can use solder instead of glue. I would still use a metal pin, to help hold the piece in place while you flow the solder into the break.

Prost!
Brad

So I want to fill in where there was some serious paint loss. I filled it in with a layer of acryllic last night. Sanded the other leg and gave it an off white coat of Vallejo

A black grey is painted over the hoof area.
Also the hoof on a white horse is going to be light brown not dark black. Sometimes almost a pink, though this was considered a sign og weakness.

Adding shoes is always a nice touch. I am not sure if this is actually correct for the time period, but hey, it is my horse!

To finish it off some gloss for the hoofs and shoes.

Followed by a little touch up just over the hoofs and we are done. Now the Turk and the Mad Englishman can continue their eternal battle. Locked in the embrace of combat! The English knight had a simple glueing repair. ain't he great?

Very tidily done KV another horse saved from the melting pot :)

Can I ask, does it take some force to drill into the metal with the pin vise. I have 6 horses that I need to enlarge the holes where the traces fit and was just wondereing how hard it would be to do before I go and buy myself one of those neat little drills.

Thanks

Scott

Of course it depends on the metal. I use a pin vise when working on lead soldiers, but hard metal such as that used for diecast figures may require a Dremel or other motorized tool. Be sure to make a slight indentation in the metal before drilling so that the bit doesn't stray. Lubrication also helps . . . I lick the back of my hand, then run the bit through it before starting to drill.

Al

Of course it depends on the metal. I use a pin vise when working on lead soldiers, but hard metal such as that used for diecast figures may require a Dremel or other motorized tool. Be sure to make a slight indentation in the metal before drilling so that the bit doesn't stray. Lubrication also helps . . . I lick the back of my hand, then run the bit through it before starting to drill.

Al

Thanks Al,

They are the newer Britains horses. There are holes already I just want to make them a tad larger so I can attach them with a short length of brass rod between the horses.

What a great repair! Its always great when a nice figure can be saved!

Tell me what is miliput?

Kilted Vampire's Full Service Figure Center

Is up and running:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back