Calendar entry rendered correctly? (1 Viewer)

theBaron

Major
Hi, I just added an entry to the calendar, and when I view it, it looks like this:
2017-02-17_TFCalendarIssue_1.jpg

The boldface text is what I entered into the Title text field; I didn't expect to see it in the body of the calendar entry. The text below that is what I typed into the text editor. That's all I expect to see in the body of the calendar entry.

Also, I don't recall having seen, "Calendar: Treefrog Event Calendar" in the body of the entry before. Is this correct/expected behavior, in the new environment? If it is, I'd like to suggest a user story to remove those things, because they just clutter the entry presentation.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks, Padre! Unfortunately, I can't compare with the old version, but it just looked odd.

Prost!
Brad

The reply I received:

The post title is always included automatically so he doesn't have to add it.

As for the title of the calendar, that is standard Vbulletin and it is because some sites have multiple calendars.

It is really an event calendar and not really meant as a presentation. What I usually do and what I suggest to other clients is to list big events in the forum with a large description and pictures, etc and then just link it in the calendar with just a very brief description there.

...The post title is always included automatically so he doesn't have to add it.

As for the title of the calendar, that is standard Vbulletin and it is because some sites have multiple calendars.

It is really an event calendar and not really meant as a presentation. What I usually do and what I suggest to other clients is to list big events in the forum with a large description and pictures, etc and then just link it in the calendar with just a very brief description there.

Thanks, Padre! If you can relay this to your IT support person, but I'm not sure what he means by, "The post title is always included automatically, so he doesn't have to add it." There is a text box to add a title, and I used it. The issue is that I didn't expect to see that text embedded in the body of the entry. Also, when I referred to "presentation," I did not mean that I expected to post photos or other things in the entry. It's understood that we would eventually have a forum thread for an event, and we'd post photos and other info there. By "presentation", I mean, "the presentation in the user interface". When I added and saved the calendar entry, then accessed that entry, I didn't expect to see the text of the title showing in the body of the calendar entry, nor did I expect to see, "Calendar: Treefrog Event Calendar", which is redundant, since we know it's the Treefrog Event Calendar. I don't recall having seen those things in calendar entries, previously. I may be wrong, and I don't have any screenshots from before the upgrade, but they look different now. So that's why I suggested a user story, that is, an enhancement or change to the spec'd application, to remove those things from the body of the calendar entry. I can even provide the text of a user story, as I write them for the apps I work with at work:

"As a Treefrog forum member, when I add an entry to the calendar, I don't want to see the title text or the calendar name repeated in the body of my entry, to reduce confusion."

Acceptance criteria:
The calendar entry title does not appear in the body of the entry
The calendar entry does not show the name of the calendar"

I hope that helps clarify the issue for him.

Prost!
Brad

His reply:

I changed the title of the calendar.. I can't really move that title out of there though and the title of the event itself.

What I meant about him not having to add it is that he does not have to write it into the body

His reply:

I changed the title of the calendar.. I can't really move that title out of there though and the title of the event itself.

What I meant about him not having to add it is that he does not have to write it into the body

Thanks, Padre! His reply that I don't need to write it into the body tells me that he doesn't understand that I didn't enter it into the body. I entered it into the Title text field. That's part of the problem. The web page has taken the text I entered in the Title field, and it displays it in the calendar entry itself. I can't describe it any more explicitly than already I have. Also, it doesn't explain that we now see "Calendar: Treefrog Event Calendar" in the body of the calendar item. I understand that he says it's standard vBulletin, but we didn't see it before.

It's not a big deal, just something that I noticed and it appears to be different from what the calendar looked like previously. And in my experience, that can be an indication that there could be other issues that haven't yet been identified. Thanks for asking him to look at it, though.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back