Canned Heat (1 Viewer)

Fans of TCS and 'Nam will not be disappointed with the new (late 2023) Apocalypse Now inspired Patrol Boat, River (PBR). As I was assembling the machine guns and accessories, I must admit that I was making some gun/shooting sounds thinking, "this is one b@d @$$ piece". It took me a little time to figure out where and how to place the various pieces, but once completed, I quickly added the five men crew (all sold separately). While all the soldiers look great with their action poses, my favorite is the tiger-striped Lt. Willard. Not sure if this is meant to be Captain Willard portrayed by Martin Sheen in the movie, but there was a previous TCS release of the character.

The photographs/box art on the PBR as well as the water section look great and made a quick backdrop for some photos:

attachment.php

From left to right, Lt. Willard, Tyrone Miller with M60, and Chef Hicks:

attachment.php

Chef Hicks comes with a separate Browning M2 with "Canned Heat" shield.

attachment.php

Lance Johnson is a "half soldier" that fits in the armament tub of the twin M2HB Brownings. Chief Phillips with pistol stands on a small flat base that does not detach from the figure:

attachment.php

The separate water section measures 8.5" x 14". While I think it looks great, the PBR doesn't fit exactly and I would have liked to see it larger:

attachment.php

I saw the movie several years ago and picked it up on DVD several months ago. I plan to re-watch in the next few days.

attachment.php

Overall Thoughts

TCS's PBR is a beautiful piece and sucked me back into the 'Nam theme after purchasing the Huey several years ago. Its "curb appeal" is impressive, especially with the additional water section. The boat is pretty solid, although the accessories can be a bit tricky to place. The figures are perfect. I love the action poses and they pair perfectly with the PBR.

This is certainly a winner for TCS. I'm appreciative for the venture back to 'Nam. I would probably have to say that this is my favorite piece for 2023 and will most likely be picking up a few additional pieces in the new year.

TCS hit the mark with this PBR! {bravo}}

Last edited:
Fantastic pics, Rob! And glad to see another collector so impressed with the PBR! It is certainly an impressive piece and glad yours came complete with all the cleats 😉 I need to check back on those…

Fantastic pics, Rob! And glad to see another collector so impressed with the PBR! It is certainly an impressive piece and glad yours came complete with all the cleats 😉 I need to check back on those…
Thanks Tman. I enjoyed yours as well my friend. At least you and I like the new PBR.
You definitely have to get those cleats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back