Civil War Muster (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
As many of you know I like soldier sets that include civilians and depict the social and cultural aspects of the era of the military subject being represented. Hence my series on British India "Life in the Raj." Bill Hocker's American Civil War series also contains this kind of subject. The 2nd addition to my Wm. Hocker collection of American Civil War sets is set #325 Regimental Muster representing a scene in the American South consisting of individuals from Southern plantation society at the beginning of the war. A local unit of the Army of the CSA has gathered to prepare for military duty. They are surrounded by the local population seeing them off to war. I plan to use this set and others to be added later to create small vignettes from this era.

Attachments

• WHset325ASm.jpg
    WHset325ASm.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 422
  • WHset325BSm.jpg
    WHset325BSm.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 427
Details

Attachments

• WHset325CSm.jpg
    WHset325CSm.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 210
  • WHset325DSm.jpg
    WHset325DSm.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 192
Bill Hocker's photo of the set:

Attachments

• WHset325ESm.jpg
    WHset325ESm.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 221
Among other sets I hope to add are a Slave Auction, Northern Abolitionists, a Union Recruitment Parade, and ACW marching bands. Here are 2 examples:

Attachments

• SlaveAuction.jpg
    SlaveAuction.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 585
  • ACWband.jpg
    ACWband.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 261
Very interesting sets Randy. Just the other day I was thinking that you don't see too many African Americans in sets and lo and behold you show one that you would never expect to see: a slave auction.

Very nice Randy. I am looking forward to the photo shoots you great with these beauties !!!

I love the little girl running with her dolly "flying along" behind her :)

Randy,

One additional point. The slave market scene reminds me of what Lincoln said to his friend Joshua Speed (who had befriended Lincoln in Illinois when they were both young men but then Speed moved back to Kentucky; Speed also owned slaves) in a letter from 1855 but harking back to an incident that Lincoln witnessed in 1841 on a he and Speed made, which made an impact on him:

"I confess I hate to see the poor creatures hunted down, and caught, and carried back to their stripes, and unrewarded toils; but I bite my lip and keep quiet. In 1841 you and I had together a tedious low-water trip, on a Steam Boat from Louisville to St. Louis. You may remember, as I well do, that from Louisville to the mouth of the Ohio, there were, on board, ten or a dozen slaves, shackled together with irons. That sight was a continued torment to me; and I see something like it every time I touch the Ohio, or any other slave-border."

I really like these Wm. Hocker figures. They appear toy-like and simple but are actually quite lively and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back