collection valuations?? (1 Viewer)

nigelhaywood123

Private 2
Does anyone know where I can get a quick valuation for insurance purposes.
As an avid collector of 1:32 Forces of Valor military diecast, I have got many retired products that I think would be very difficult to replace.
I am thinking the retired products will certainly be more valuable than currently available.
Can anyone advise please??

Nigel,
You raise an interesting point.
I used to deal in FOV. In Australia I do not see much demand to the extent people are chasing retired items and willing to pay more. You woiuld probably have to see if there is an active market on Ebay UK. I did find our retail price in Oz was much higher than in the USA.
I deal in other areas such as medals where people ask about iinsurance when in reality it would be impossible to replace the item. They may be incurring extra insurance premiums.
Not much help I know. Perhaps have a look at the FOV (I never have).
Regards
Brett

Hi, Nigel, and welcome to the forum!

I would look first among auctioneers who specialize in toy soldiers, or toys in general. Norman Joplin is a member of the forum and you might want to contact Vectis Auctions. They would probably be able to advise you, if they wouldn't be able to provide the service themselves.

If that doesn't pan out, I'd contact my insurance agent and discuss it with him. The insurance company may have appraisers that they work with, and again, even if I didn't arrange for it through their appraisers, it would give me a better idea of where to go.

And even if you don't get an appraisal, it would be a good idea to catalog your collection and record it on video and in photo format, for insurance purposes.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

Thanks guys. Is all good advice and will definitely chase up further. Thanks for the tips.

I do think is important for all of us and the main reason I brought this to the forum, was a good freind who also collects like me, FOV military diecast had some of his collection stolen during a home burglary. God knows why? maybe the burglars were avid collectors also?? He's dealing through his own insurance so I did ask to be kept informed regarding valuations of. Is ongoing, and will let you know what he lets me know regarding.

This did make me think of my collection and how would I value some of the now retired pieces. Obviously as retired pieces would suggest are much harder to acquire and therefore should be worth more on the open market based on this alone.
Besides many hand-painted figures and scenic accessories I do have 40 1:32 military diecast models, mostly Unimax Forces of Valor, a few Dragon, with perhaps around half been retired and therefore much harder to come by?
few examples of:
2 US M26 Pershings (80016ret),
3 German King Tiger (2 of 80001ret, and 1 of 80054ret)
1 German Tiger in winter white (80204ret)
4 US M4A3 Sherman (2 of 81007ret)
and others etc.
Take the US Sherman for instance of which I have 4. 2 of these in earlier versions, long ago since retired and 2 of still available on general sale.

I would hate to think in worst case scenario that in having to deal with the insurance companies would only be offered the face value (ie: retail price).
Similarly like buying an original Elvis or Beatles 1st release album for '2 and 6 pence' UK or a 'nickle' or 'dime' USA. Or for this matter any antiquity or collectable.

Would suggest is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. This been the true value.
example: Few years back, the German Tiger in winter white (80204) costing me around £30. A while back I saw one selling in eBay and going for around £80 mark.
Would suggest true value of German Tiger in winter white (80204)

Yawn yawn. Sorry guys. I know I've gone on a little here, but I do think should be catalogued somewhere, for us all to use in the event.

Thanks
Nigel

The German Tiger in winter white cost me £30 few years back. A while ago saw one selling in eBay for around £80 mark.
Is the value £30, or £80, or more???
Nigel

Does anyone know where I can get a quick valuation for insurance purposes.
As an avid collector of 1:32 Forces of Valor military diecast, I have got many retired products that I think would be very difficult to replace.
I am thinking the retired products will certainly be more valuable than currently available.
Can anyone advise please??
Check out the thread "Do you insure your collection?" on page 6 of General Toy Soldier Discussions for some insurance information that might help.

this all depends on which of the retired FOV you have.
some of the ones you have might have been really short releases retired after one year that not many people have.
some could be things that were retired after 5 years of production that almost all FOV collectors have.
so might point is that the value varies depending on the demand or rarity of the item.

this all depends on which of the retired FOV you have.
some of the ones you have might have been really short releases retired after one year that not many people have.
some could be things that were retired after 5 years of production that almost all FOV collectors have.
so might point is that the value varies depending on the demand or rarity of the item.

yes. absolutely agree fully
but nonetheless even the ones that were retired after 5 years of production would be no longer reasonably replaceable, so with this in mind should also be worth more, similarly as with the short releases??

Nigel:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back