Cotton Tales (1860s-1890s) (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
Cotton Tales (1860s-1890s)

Among my collection of William Hocker’s Toy Soldiers are sets representing the American South during the Civil War of the 1860s and the British Empire of the 19th Century. I was looking at sets 325 Regimental Muster (Confederates) and 118 Our Army Off Duty in India and noticed that 3 figures from each set had an interesting connection. There was a military officer, his wife holding a parasol and their infant child being held by a servant (an African American and an Indian woman n). Besides this visual similarity there are actually historical connections between the 2 groups.

The American South of the Antebellum and Civil War era has been described as a “Cavalier” society influenced by English aristocratic culture and the concept of chivalry. It is nor surprising, therefore, that the historical romances of English novelist Sir Walter Scott such as Ivanhoe and Rob Roy were bestsellers in the American South. Southerners were definitely Anglophiles and after the outbreak of war in 1861 hoped that they would have support from their British cousins.

The British Raj as represented by set 118 although 30 years later in date than the Confederate set makes a good comparison with it. The British Empire overseas in India was in part a plantation society, growing among other crops cotton which was the staple of the Southern economy and earned the region the nickname of “King Cotton”. Both the British in India and the Americans were responding to the Industrial Revolution and the rise of the textile industry. India had been a major source of cotton for the British mills in the 18th C but with the rise of the “Cotton South” in the 19th C was largely replaced by the Americans. During the American Civil War, however, a Union blockade of Southern ports revived India as a source for cotton for the English.

During the Civil War, the British also turned to Egypt as a source of cotton. When the War between the States was over, however, England again bought the cheaper American cotton, causing Egypt to eventually go bankrupt. The resulting economic and political chaos in the country led to the British invasion of Egypt in 1882 and the decisive Battle of Tel-El-Kebir which led to British annexation of Egypt. Ironically former Confederate officers were among the Civil War veterans who went to Egypt in the late 1860s and 70s to help modernize the Egyptian army that would be defeated in the 1882 battle.

Since the Emancipation Proclamation and the Union victory over the South had ended slavery in America, cotton was now largely produced by the sharecropper system (a system of agriculture in which a landowner allows a tenant to use the land in return for a share of the crop produced on the land). African Americans became part of that system.

Attachments

• CottonTales1.jpg
    CottonTales1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 647
  • CottonTales2.jpg
    CottonTales2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 614
With Bill Hocker’s sets it is possible to recreate some of the history described here:

1. African American sharecropper South Carolina 1870s
2. Former Confederates in Egypt late 1860s
3. Egyptian Army 1882
4. Cameron Highlanders in Egypt 1882

Attachments

• CottonTales7.jpg
    CottonTales7.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 326
  • CottonTales8.jpg
    CottonTales8.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 325
  • CottonTales3.jpg
    CottonTales3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 315
  • CottonTales4.jpg
    CottonTales4.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 314
5. British textile factory owner and his family
6. British public at !897 Diamond Jubilee (includes textile managers and employees in the crowd wearing clothing made from American and Indian cotton)

Attachments

• CottonTales5.jpg
    CottonTales5.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 537
  • CottonTales6.jpg
    CottonTales6.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 507
Beautiful Randy I love the set of the family playing with the toys and of course the British spectators.

Do you think the Hocker figures are detailed enough to be displayed with the new Britians glossies ? or are they "too primitive" in design and more suited to WB hollowcast figures?

Beautiful Randy I love the set of the family playing with the toys and of course the British spectators.

Do you think the Hocker figures are detailed enough to be displayed with the new Britians glossies ? or are they "too primitive" in design and more suited to WB hollowcast figures?

They are best matched with the WB hollowcast like the Archive series. The new WB Classics are in a league of their own in terms of realism and detail. I enjoy both styles.

They are best matched with the WB hollowcast like the Archive series. The new WB Classics are in a league of their own in terms of realism and detail. I enjoy both styles.

Thanks Randy, both are beautiful in there on ways I agree. Trouble is not to much on the civilian front that would blend with the new Britains.

Thanks Randy, both are beautiful in there on ways I agree. Trouble is not to much on the civilian front that would blend with the new Britains.

I wish WB would do some glossy civilian males and children and animals to go with the other Classics. Seems like there is now a greater demand for this theme. The Alexander Toy Soldier civilians work well the the WB Classics.

Attachments

• PortraitOfaGrenadierSm.jpg
    PortraitOfaGrenadierSm.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 283
Thanks so much Randy for that nice little history lesson. The Hocker sets depict some great subjects. The scenes you did are fabulous. Thanks for the time and research you put into this. It is posts like these that make this forum more than just a forum.

Mark

I'm repeating myself. Deceptively simple figures. In HS I read a short story about Alsace-Lorain after the Franco Prussian War. The illustration was one German toy soldier and one French toy soldier knocked over.

Where did you get the sharecropper, and the others? I do not see them on his site. Of course sometimes, I do not see well!! ha!!

With Bill Hocker’s sets it is possible to recreate some of the history described here:

1. African American sharecropper South Carolina 1870s
2. Former Confederates in Egypt late 1860s
3. Egyptian Army 1882
4. Cameron Highlanders in Egypt 1882

Cotton Tales (1860s-1890s)

Among my collection of William Hocker’s Toy Soldiers are sets representing the American South during the Civil War of the 1860s and the British Empire of the 19th Century. I was looking at sets 325 Regimental Muster (Confederates) and 118 Our Army Off Duty in India and noticed that 3 figures from each set had an interesting connection. There was a military officer, his wife holding a parasol and their infant child being held by a servant (an African American and an Indian woman n). Besides this visual similarity there are actually historical connections between the 2 groups.

The American South of the Antebellum and Civil War era has been described as a “Cavalier” society influenced by English aristocratic culture and the concept of chivalry. It is nor surprising, therefore, that the historical romances of English novelist Sir Walter Scott such as Ivanhoe and Rob Roy were bestsellers in the American South. Southerners were definitely Anglophiles and after the outbreak of war in 1861 hoped that they would have support from their British cousins.

The British Raj as represented by set 118 although 30 years later in date than the Confederate set makes a good comparison with it. The British Empire overseas in India was in part a plantation society, growing among other crops cotton which was the staple of the Southern economy and earned the region the nickname of “King Cotton”. Both the British in India and the Americans were responding to the Industrial Revolution and the rise of the textile industry. India had been a major source of cotton for the British mills in the 18th C but with the rise of the “Cotton South” in the 19th C was largely replaced by the Americans. During the American Civil War, however, a Union blockade of Southern ports revived India as a source for cotton for the English.

During the Civil War, the British also turned to Egypt as a source of cotton. When the War between the States was over, however, England again bought the cheaper American cotton, causing Egypt to eventually go bankrupt. The resulting economic and political chaos in the country led to the British invasion of Egypt in 1882 and the decisive Battle of Tel-El-Kebir which led to British annexation of Egypt. Ironically former Confederate officers were among the Civil War veterans who went to Egypt in the late 1860s and 70s to help modernize the Egyptian army that would be defeated in the 1882 battle.

Since the Emancipation Proclamation and the Union victory over the South had ended slavery in America, cotton was now largely produced by the sharecropper system (a system of agriculture in which a landowner allows a tenant to use the land in return for a share of the crop produced on the land). African Americans became part of that system.

Dear Randy:

A splendid group of photos of some of your glossy miniatures!!!

Sincerely, Gary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back