CTSS Show 2021 is a wrap. (1 Viewer)

HobbyBunker

Corporal
The 40th anniversary Chicago Toy Soldier Show is wrap. We made it home about 2:30AM on Tuesday morning (joe, Joe and I). Although it was slower than previous shows it was better than expected. I went in with low expectations and was happy to see so many people decide to make the trek. Sadly last week the Canadian border was closed keeping many collectors away. It was nice to see collectors and friends face to face and have a few laughs and share a few memories.
7 of us went to Emmett's Brewery on Wednesday to toast the late Don Pielin (it was his favorite local spot). Joe, Ray Haradin, Bre, Woody, Mike O'Donnell, Greg Kempton and myself. We had a long tradition of having a beer crawl with Don. We were just missing our Aussie and Brit friends. Don was always great at bringing people together. Of course Joe and I also got to hang with some Chicago staples Marc Gaynes and Mike Holverson. We hit Kuma's Corner on Friday night, awesome burgers with some loud heavy metal and rock music. Over the past 2 years we lost some of our friends and things seemed off a bit at times. But this year we made some new friends and spent more time with others. It was nice to see Nick and Deanna Versteeg(the previous owners of TSSD) make the trip from San Diego. They will be at the West Coaster to give me a hand in 2022. We got our Lou Malanti's deep dish pizza (delivered on Thursday), did plenty of room trading and saw some cool collections and rare items that I hadn't seen in years. I grabbed a copy of the Barzso Playset book and got it signed by Ron. I was close to running off to see to Notre Dame vs Wisconsin at Soldier Field but decided to roam the halls instead. Saturday was the slowest day so I should have went to the game! I posted a few pictures below and added dozens more to our facebook page.

Here are a few pics. Jim Srechov and Mr. Thorsen probably had the most impressive displays at the show.

Thanks to Roger and the crew for taking on a tough show and for all who came out and supported the show. We will be back.

CTSSbarz.jpgctssPaul.jpg
Ron Barzso signing my book.
Paul Gruendler managed to dump about 1000 Marx accessories on the Floor. Greg Liska and I got down on the floor and picked them up. Joe "Suspenders" was unable to help with the cane and all{sm4}

ctsslinda.jpgohio.jpg
Our friend Linda (the Hyatt Bartender for about 20 years) stopped by to visit on Friday night.

Be safe, this guy in Ohio had some trouble.

The 40th anniversary Chicago Toy Soldier Show is wrap. We made it home about 2:30AM on Tuesday morning (joe, Joe and I). Although it was slower than previous shows it was better than expected. I went in with low expectations and was happy to see so many people decide to make the trek. Sadly last week the Canadian border was closed keeping many collectors away. It was nice to see collectors and friends face to face and have a few laughs and share a few memories.
7 of us went to Emmett's Brewery on Wednesday to toast the late Don Pielin (it was his favorite local spot). Joe, Ray Haradin, Bre, Woody, Mike O'Donnell, Greg Kempton and myself. We had a long tradition of having a beer crawl with Don. We were just missing our Aussie and Brit friends. Don was always great at bringing people together. Of course Joe and I also got to hang with some Chicago staples Marc Gaynes and Mike Holverson. We hit Kuma's Corner on Friday night, awesome burgers with some loud heavy metal and rock music. Over the past 2 years we lost some of our friends and things seemed off a bit at times. But this year we made some new friends and spent more time with others. It was nice to see Nick and Deanna Versteeg(the previous owners of TSSD) make the trip from San Diego. They will be at the West Coaster to give me a hand in 2022. We got our Lou Malanti's deep dish pizza (delivered on Thursday), did plenty of room trading and saw some cool collections and rare items that I hadn't seen in years. I grabbed a copy of the Barzso Playset book and got it signed by Ron. I was close to running off to see to Notre Dame vs Wisconsin at Soldier Field but decided to roam the halls instead. Saturday was the slowest day so I should have went to the game! I posted a few pictures below and added dozens more to our facebook page.

Here are a few pics. Jim Srechov and Mr. Thorsen probably had the most impressive displays at the show.

Thanks to Roger and the crew for taking on a tough show and for all who came out and supported the show. We will be back.

Dad & I will try to there next year. It's very close any very fun.
Paddy

If i would have known notre dame was playing at soldiers field i would have gotten us tickets matt, maybe next time. You might see u mass play northwestern one year

If i would have known notre dame was playing at soldiers field i would have gotten us tickets matt, maybe next time. You might see u mass play northwestern one year
I wish! I should have went. Pencil me in for UMASS vs. Northwestern for sure.

that is jim's room. We is local and travels home every night.
actually that is michael schreckov's room. He owns warring warbirds and has been making beautifully made mahogony airplanes for at least the last 5 or 6 years.
He has made me a heinkel 177 bomber, an me 410, a heinkel 111 for battle of britain and 2 ju 52's. One in green camo and the other was hitler's silver ju 52. The windows are clear so
you can see the finished interior seats and all.. This was a big difference for me because the competitors usually paint their windows in. He also has madenumerous gliders and
even a hamil car. I highly reccomend warring warbirds and the prices are right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back