Different types of collectors, (1 Viewer)

In the cooler
Following on from Larry Allen's [Command Sergeant Major] question on the forum I want to throw out a question to treefroggers,

"What is the most niche TS collector or collection you know of? "

For example I have met individual collectors that only collect the following,
1 - Motorbike and side cars [not motorbikes]
2 - Officer figures.
3 - Hitler, Churchill and Stalin figures.
4 - Individual regiments.

Do you know of any 'niche' collectors to add to the list.

Not to avoid the question but I’d say that Zach and I are the most un-niche collectors on the Forum and Zach has me beaten by a mile.

I collect almost anything "toy soldier" but I do know a collector who is into artillery and one who is all Napoleonic.

I have several niche collections; Siege Engines and Castles. The Castle collection ranges from 1/87 to 1/32 scale. The 1/48 scale Elastolin Castle is my favorite; as are the Elastolin Siege Engines. One of my oldest Castles is an Airfix Nottingham Castle.

Hahah! That we are!

Yup and glad to be that way. I appreciate collectors who stick to one or two things but for collectors like me or Zach or Tom Dubel there is just so much diversity out there that you can’t stick to one or two things, all in my opinion of course.

Here’s an example. At Chicago I purchased the following: several of the new K & C Marines, two K & C glossy Ludhiana Sikhs, several Trophy civilian figures, two Beau Geste WW I sets and three AeroArt figures.

Following on from Larry Allen's [Command Sergeant Major] question on the forum I want to throw out a question to treefroggers,

"What is the most niche TS collector or collection you know of? "

For example I have met individual collectors that only collect the following,
1 - Motorbike and side cars [not motorbikes]
2 - Officer figures.
3 - Hitler, Churchill and Stalin figures.
4 - Individual regiments.

Do you know of any 'niche' collectors to add to the list.

I collect only Mignot. That is a niche, yes?

For me it was anything made by William Britains, at the moment I am just focusing on the Matte Zulu Wars.

I would say my collection is anything Toy Solder that catches my eye. I range from 15mm up to 110mm and while nearly all of them are metal I have composition hard plastic and even some that are hardened rubber. So I guess I fall in to non niche territory

Dave

My unusual Niche is collecting ... ONLY ... what I can personally relate to via Family, Location or Ancestral ties.

For example I am (was) only a FIW/AWI and 1812 collector.

A rather narrow time frame. Mainly because living in New England many historic locations are "in my front yard." Now, living in Waldoboro, Maine continues with that trend, as many soldiers from Waldoboro served in the Continental Army with Washington.

For example, Conrad Heyer (1749-1856) was one of Washington's Personal Guards. There are many letters in the Waldoboro Historical Society that speak of the relationship he had with George!!

Also, there were two Waldoboro soldiers in the boat when Washington crossed the Delaware and a dozen at the battles of Princeton and Trenton.

However, when Andy (bless his heart) reengaged with the Pacific WWII theater, I dove into that area BIG TIME!

I am now the proud owner of 8 of the Japanese Naval planes with 100's of the JN Navy and Army figures. Same with the Boyington line and the Newest US Navy line.

AND ... you all know how excited I was when the USMC series was announced.

WHY .. because all of my family has been NAVY or USMC going back 5 or more generations, 2nd and 3rd Marines.
So, see why Tarawa is so special to me.

And yes, thank God, Uncle Fred did survive Tarawa, but did get shot two times ....{sm2}

I guess that is a unique Niche????

--- LaRRy

I began with Britains mostly because that was what was available. Not to say they didn't have a lot of keen sets. Elastolin came into the picture but they were expensive for a kid in the 1950's. Wargaming diverted my "toy soldier" phase until the 1980's when I went back to Britains and some "new toy" soldiers. Britains and Elastolin are still favorites with equipment/cannons for the former and castles and siege machines for the latter at the top of the list.

I mainly collect WWII Armor; German, Russian, US and British. I have models in scales from 1/72 to 1/15. I started with Solido armor in the 1970's, moved up to Corgi and than Minichamps. I built many models from 1/35, 1/25 and 1/16 Tamiya kits. I got into polystone models with Figarti's excellent pieces and have a few pieces from K&C, TG and TCS too. I still build model kits of armor that is not available prebuilt i.e. Maus, E100, etc. Bandai and Nichimo made armor models in 1/30 scale in the 1960's i.e. Panzer III, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer and Hummel, which are superior in detail to polystone models and work well with WB and FL figures. The models can be found on eBay.

ONLY 1/32, well ok, 1/30 too.
ONLY Metal.
ONLY Waterloo; Charge of the Light Brigade; Zulu War, Battle of Berlin 1945.
ONLY what I can display, and that ain't all that much.

Note: would have loved to be ONLY glossy, but..... sigh...

Only WWII, figures and AFV’s
Only 1/30,
Only metal,
Only display in dioramas,
And certainly NOT the ONLY one out there like this...;):wink2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back