Diorama (2 Viewers)

Zoocougar

Private
I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to display my Napoleonic soldiers. Is dust a concern when constucting dioramas? Are most displays under glass? I have been looking at various curio cabinets but my concerns are having enough room and the practicality of multiple shelves. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Welcome from another newbe. I have been collecting K&C for the past four or five years. Mostly WWII stuff. I also have an extensive collection of 1:50 construction equipment. I have in the past few weeks begun to collect Napoleonics.

My personal belief on displaying my "guys" is that they are made for diorama's and I love to have them set up in as realistic an environment as I can make and as I can afford. Some collectors keep them on shelves and in glass cabinets and thats OK. I think its a personal choice. If I were to collect some of the more expensive Holz Modell Bau or the Lineol vehicles or the St. Petersburg museum quality figures, then I would think more seriously about display cases with some-sort-of diorama materials to accentuate them.

When I clean my toys, I use compressed air from either my air brush compressor or from compressed air in a can (you can get it in any office supply or computer store). I have thought about giving the really dirty ones a bath, but, air seems to be less destructive and I would more than likely drop a wet one and break it.

I am just starting to begin the design process for my K&C Napoleonics. I have thought about using a single table of about 4 foot by 8 foot. The battle technics they used in the 1800's tends to be more large groupings in rows while my WWII stuff needed a lot more room. I think I will make a couple of British units, one in a square and the other in ranks off to the flank. The French will be attacking both groups, Dragoons at the square and regular lines attacking each other. I am still looking for a source of guns and their horse trains.

Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy them. Thats what really counts. :D

When I bought my glass curio cabinet I custom ordered some more shelves and made it from 4 shelves to 8 shelves. Any glass shop can make you a glass shelf.

I buy glass display cabinets from Ikea, the shelves are 15" x 15", I make small diorama scenes with my napoleonics, 1 unit against the other. I find they look great and each shelf is a whole new world, saves room and looks great!!
I think the glass display cabinets are great if you are displaying in a dinning room area, looks a little nicer and keeps your collection dust free and safe. If you are sticking them in the basement then I guess it doesnt matter.

Cheers
Wellington :)

I'm in the process of (slowly) shopping for a new display case. Some of the criteria that I have looked at include;

1) Sliding front door - this allows good access to add/revise displays, but keeps out the door frames and mullions on some cases. Not cheap, but the one clear glass panel allows maximum viewing. I learned about this from my son's Code 3 firethruck collection.

2) Either multiple lights or the ability to add more lights. In the case I have now, the lights are in the top and the middle shelves, the other displays sit in the shadow of the upper displays. This will be more important when I add ground cover to the diorama scenes.

I also agree about the desireability to be able to add some more shelves, just remember that the display will be more visually appealing if you don't "cram" too much stuff together.

I like the idea of a display case as it reduces (but doesn't fully eliminate) dust on the collection. I also like the stuff kept back from the little inquisitive fingers of my grandchildren.

Gary

I have often wondered how much is too much for the glass curio shelves to hold.Putting two tanks,a vehicle and ten fig's does add up to some weight.My worst nightmare would be to wake up to the sound of a shelf giving out and taking another two or three with it as it falls.I have curio's with various shelf glass thickness and have traded out the platic holders for more secured metal ones but I still watch my weight limit so to say on those shelves.
Curio's(brand names) are expensive but sometimes you can find good sales on them.Wal-Mart was carrying one for under $175 which looks pretty darn good.They only had a couple and I just happen to be at the right place at the right time.I have also seen some nice bookshelfs there lately which for the money would be economical.These were roughly $30 for a six shelf light wood colour.Fully open but would dispaly sets nicely.
Just my Canadian 2 cents..(which is worth 1/2 a cent US)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back