Does this figure represent Regiment Royal-Deux-Ponts (1 Viewer)

captainsimos

Private 2
Found a batch of already made figures and trying to ID them, this is one I can't find a exact match, so Regiment Royal-Deux-Ponts is my best guess. Looking for agreement or info on what is does represent. Thanks for the help.
deuxx1.jpg
deuxx2.jpg

This is a Dragoon and not an infantryman…so not a Royal Deux Pont.

This is a Dragoon and not an infantryman…so not a Royal Deux Pont.

Thats right Ken ......

Going on the colours of his lapels, collar and cuffs I suggest he is one of Frederick the Great's Stechow Regiment Dragoon of the 7 Years War era.
He also has a white aiguilette on his right shoulder and white metal buttons.

I don't know what he was holding in his right arm, maybe a horse???

Hope that helps,
John

He probably had a carbine or even a sword in his hand… I seem to recall a drawing in a similar pose with a carbine.

He probably had a carbine or even a sword in his hand… I seem to recall a drawing in a similar pose with a carbine.

Yes, you could be right again, there is evidence, by a glue residue on his right shoulder that something was stuck there.

Any idea of the maker ???

John

Correct, a dragoon, and more specifically, a Brunswick dragoon from the Revolutionary War. It was made by Robert Rowe under his Vallance brand. It's based on a Lefferts illustration from the Company of Military Historians.

In his right hand, and resting on his right shoulder, he held a musket (should have been a carbine). You can see where the glue remains. The figure kit came with a cast flat, square base with the corners cropped. Whoever painted this one has placed him on this larger round base.

I've got several of these, plus a mold to cast the figure. This one, I've painted as a dragoon of Krockow's regiment:

and this one as a Platen dragoon:

I mounted these on a tinplate base, in the Stadden style.

He can be painted as any of Frederick's dragoon regiments who had lapels, as well as the Brunswick Prinz Ludewig dragoons. I'm looking now for the Leffert's illustration but can't seem to find one at the moment.

Hope that helps!

Prost!
Brad

Thanks for that information, Brad, and that you could ID this figure.

I also noticed that the original images didn't show that the dragoon had a sabre, so thats missing too.

John

Thanks to everyone for the information. Sorry I am late in my reply. I have been without power for the last 5 days due to the storm that hit Houston last week. Thanks again to everyone for the help.
Simos

Correct, a dragoon, and more specifically, a Brunswick dragoon from the Revolutionary War. It was made by Robert Rowe under his Vallance brand. It's based on a Lefferts illustration from the Company of Military Historians.

In his right hand, and resting on his right shoulder, he held a musket (should have been a carbine). You can see where the glue remains. The figure kit came with a cast flat, square base with the corners cropped. Whoever painted this one has placed him on this larger round base.

I've got several of these, plus a mold to cast the figure. This one, I've painted as a dragoon of Krockow's regiment:

He can be painted as any of Frederick's dragoon regiments who had lapels, as well as the Brunswick Prinz Ludewig dragoons. I'm looking now for the Leffert's illustration but can't seem to find one at the moment.

Hope that helps!

Prost!
Brad
Here is a photo of the PMD figue. I think it is a WW2 Russian Field Marshall

pmd2.jpg

Hope that helps!

Prost!
Brad

Is this the one you are looking for??

Brunswick_Dragoons_Uniform_Plate.jpg

Is this the one you are looking for??

Brunswick_Dragoons_Uniform_Plate.jpg

Hi, Wolfgang, no, that's not the one. The illustration I'm talking about is of a Brunswick dragoon circa 1776, by American military illustrator Charles Lefferts. The figure is in the exact pose of the Lefferts illustration. The print was distributed by the Company of Military Historians, and may have been produced specifically for them. Yours looks like it depicts the original uniform Brunswick's sole dragoon regiment wore at the outset of the Seven Years War, before they were converted to carabiniers and adopted a cuirassier-style uniform. After that war, they reverted to dragoons and adopted the Prussian-style light blue coats that they wore till the collapse of the Brunswick army in the French revolutionary wars. Looks like it's from the Seven Years War Project site on Kronoskaf.

I'll have to see if I can find the illustration in my references and scan it to upload it.

Prost!
Brad

I happened to run across a copy of the illustration that I'm talking about. It's a postcard on eBay. I think this is the same publisher who produced the little folio of postcards sold years ago at Fort Ticonderoga. Here it is:

This is the pose I mentioned. The Vallance kit figure was sculpted according to this pose. You can see what I mentioned about the saber, too; It was just tucked up under the left coat skirt, between the dragoon's left leg and the skirt. No pins and no representation of the belt and harness, just glued into the groove.

I also realize now that I misremembered, and that it was not Col. Lefferts who drew this, but Clyde Risley. Interesting, though, the Risley never produced a figure of a Brunswick dragoon, that I am aware.

Here is the reverse side of the postcard, too, for interest:

Now that I think of it, I think K/S Publications also produced some 54mm (closer to 56mm?) figures based on some of Lefferts' Rev War illustrations, too.

Anyway, this illustrates what I was talking about.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back