Drilling in Polystone (1 Viewer)

ivanmoe

Command Sergeant Major
Every once in a while, I get the desire to drill some holes in a polystone model. Some examples? Well, it would be useful to open a cavity in which to seat a pitot tube in the wing of a plane model, or to create a shallow void in the opening of tank replica’s main gun. If I haven’t done so, it’s because I have no idea as to how the polystone will behave. Is this doable, or will the stuff not allow for clean work with a pin-vice drill:confused:

-Moe

You ought to be able to drill it. As you mentioned, I would use a pin vise, not a power tool, like a Dremel. It's my personal preference, but I find that I have much better control, when I use a pin vise to drill a hole. Unless you can use a drill press stand (which I do have for my Dremel), it is too easy to break a bit, when using a rotary tool, through motion away from the axis of the drill bit. And it's too easy to damage the piece, whether it's polystone, or a resin figure, or white metal, or styrene. It takes longer with hand power, but it's just better. As I said, my preference, based on my experience.

In this case, if you can find a spot on the piece where you could test drilling, that would be a good idea. Some spot that is not visible, where you could make a couple of turns with a bit and see how the material reacts. On a tank, that would be obvious-under the base. On an airplane, maybe in a landing gear bay. I would use a pin or a sewing needle to make a tiny mark or hole, to start the bit.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

You ought to be able to drill it. As you mentioned, I would use a pin vise, not a power tool, like a Dremel. It's my personal preference, but I find that I have much better control, when I use a pin vise to drill a hole. Unless you can use a drill press stand (which I do have for my Dremel), it is too easy to break a bit, when using a rotary tool, through motion away from the axis of the drill bit. And it's too easy to damage the piece, whether it's polystone, or a resin figure, or white metal, or styrene. It takes longer with hand power, but it's just better. As I said, my preference, based on my experience.

In this case, if you can find a spot on the piece where you could test drilling, that would be a good idea. Some spot that is not visible, where you could make a couple of turns with a bit and see how the material reacts. On a tank, that would be obvious-under the base. On an airplane, maybe in a landing gear bay. I would use a pin or a sewing needle to make a tiny mark or hole, to start the bit.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

Thanks, Brad. Polystone really is something of a mystery to me. That said, I’ve noticed that damage to it tends to take the form of chunks/chips that break off as a result of some sort of blow or other trauma. My real concern is that my efforts will result in some degree of “crumbling” at the site of the penetration, and that I’ll end up with ragged edges on the cavity that I’m looking to create. Your suggestion that I should test an inconspicuous area first is VERY sound. Will let you know how the test works out!:eek:

-Moe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back