Ebay auction for 2200-figure collection (1 Viewer)

theBaron

Major
Here's an instant collection for someone just starting out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/napoleonic...figures-/122897034613?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I'm not connected with this auction in any way; it just came up in one of my toy soldier searches.

The seller doesn't give a lot of information, other than to say that the figures are a mix of some metal and some plastic, Napoleonic and Roman. Though they are mounted on bases, wargame-style, it looks like they are larger-scale, 54mm to 60mm, and not in a smaller wargaming scale.

It'll be interesting to see if the seller gets his asking price.

Prost!
Brad

Doubtful!

I don't have any evidence to back this up but my feeling is that selling a large lot on eBay is difficult.

Brad

I agree, Brad. It's not often that a large collection comes up on eBay, so there aren't a lot of examples to judge by. I can think of only two similar examples, both collections of Staddens.

One was a group of no more than a hundred figures depicting a Prussian regiment from the Seven Years' War, and it was up for about three years, for around $1800, before it finally sold, for the opening bid. The other is one that is still up, a collection of 62 pieces depicting the history of the Scots Guards from their founding to the present. The seller is asking $2800, and that one has been up for a couple of years and still hasn't sold.

I guess it depends on what the seller wants to do. If he wants to move the collection as fast as possible, an auction house is probably better, balancing the auctioneer's premium against the convenience of the quick sale. If the seller can afford to wait, though, eBay's not a bad option, followed by networking through people in the hobby or taking it to a show.

I always find it interesting to watch auctions like these, to see where they end up.

Prost!
Brad

Here is the exception to the rule you mentioned. I got to see it again two weeks ago and took this photo.

Attachments

• 101_0311.JPG
    101_0311.JPG
    570.1 KB · Views: 613
Those are wargame figures,20mm-30mm,and it looks like most are plastic,Italieri,Hat,Revell,those types.A lot of money for that.

They do look like these are wargame figures. A lot of painting (and time) must have gone into this collection. That probably justifies the price - in the seller's mind. I'd recommend to him that he split the figures into (A) Romans and (B) Napoleonics and sell them separately. The price and combination of eras is not making this auction an easy sale.

They do look like these are wargame figures. A lot of painting (and time) must have gone into this collection. That probably justifies the price - in the seller's mind...

Possibly. By the seller's own admission:

"i dont know what and where was made

never been used

please if you have any info that could help, contact me"​

I suspect he has no idea what he has.

I just noticed now, too, that the item is located in Amman, Jordan.

Prost!
Brad

I've kept this auction in my watch list, through several cycles of relisting. It recently ended again, with no bidders. The seller has finally taken a hint and has knocked six hundred bucks off his asking price of $5100, dropping it to $4500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/napoleonic...ic-tin-figures-/123175178200?oid=123119126327

I still don't think he'll have any takers.

Prost!
Brad

Hey Brad,

Admittedly, I know very little about the value of War Gaming figures, but maybe "someone" should write him and let him know what might be a reasonable price. Who know, possibly he might just say, "Ya', if you want them for that price, SOLD"

Out of curiosity, what would be a good price for 2200 war gaming figures? :rolleyes2:

---Larry

I do a lot of historical wargaming in 20 and 28 mm. I would say on average 3 USD per figure. Some are higher and some lower based on figure brand, the quality of the paint job and plastic vs metal. Unlike the toy soldier collecting, where you can sell, for the most part, a figure for what you paid for it, wargame figures seem to never hold their value. The price for 2200 figures the seller is asking for is a very good price.

I think what might be hurting this sale is that there are several eras of figures. It's not a complete set of any army, so a person would not be able to have both sides for a battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back