Ebay global shipping programme (3 Viewers)

IONA

Staff Sergeant
Hello guys
Has anyone used this
I started to use and it is meant to be hassle free
BUT I have had nothing but hassle also do the buyers
They don't include combined postage so when a buyer buys 2 sets from you they have to pay for separate sets of postage and that can be expensive
I tried to talk to ebay about this but they said it is because of customs and the charges are shown on the listing before the buyer bids
Any help with this ,can i cancel and send it myself without going through the process GSP or would ebay give me warning
Cheers Scott

I have looked at it several times...

it is UNGODLY EXPENSIVE!!!

I won't us it or recommend it...

Ditto as to what Mike said. This was discussed here sometime ago and the reaction was also negative at that time.

Thanks guys
I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BOTHER WITH IT THE IN FEW TRANSACTIONS I HAVE HAD WITH IT :mad:
I THINK IT IS TOTALLY RIP OFF
Cheers Scott

Yes had used it many times on eBAY as a buyer.

You are right it does not COMBINE SHIP. But to me it is cheaper than shipping through USPS Priority mails for bulky/big items :salute::

Avoid it like the plaque. Change your account settings so buyers can't select it. It's just another way for eBay to get their hands in your pocket.

Thanks guys
I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BOTHER WITH IT THE IN FEW TRANSACTIONS I HAVE HAD WITH IT :mad:
I THINK IT IS TOTALLY RIP OFF
Cheers Scott

In what way is a rip off ? Buyer or Seller ?

I have never seen it cheaper than USPS First Class...Priority or Express...

neither domestic or International...

I would be embarrassed as a seller to ask the high price of Ebay shipping to my buyer...

It's put me off buying from many sellers in the States. The postage is clearly inflated and often absolutely outrageous for quite small items. If you don't have to select it, then don't as it probably reduces your customer base.

Not to toot my own horn but I try to keep shipping costs low and if I have miscalculated, I give the buyer a refund.

I would never bid on any items that uses this shipping method. It's too expensive.

It's put me off buying from many sellers in the States. The postage is clearly inflated and often absolutely outrageous for quite small items. If you don't have to select it, then don't as it probably reduces your customer base.

Larso...

please don't think everyone in the US inflates their postage to Australia...

I don't...in fact...quite the opposite...like Brad...I try hard to keep it at cost...I will and have issued Paypal refunds when I have overestimated it...

Australia is very high to ship to...one of the highest countries in the world for some reason...

I always ship USPS...as Fedex and UPS are absolutely obscene pricey for International packages...not even worth discussing for International shipping...usually 4-5 times as high as USPS,...not even an option...

here is the link to the USPS Postage Price Calculator website...
if you ever want to check postage on what an item actually costs the seller to ship it to you...

http://postcalc.usps.com/

all you have to do is figure it backwards to get the true cost...play like you are the seller...play like you live in the US and are shipping to Australia...Brazil...Germany...etc...

you can get a very accurate (to the penny cost) if you know the exact weight of what you are receiving...or you can wait until you receive ir...then weigh it...go to this website...punch in the numbers...and will get a very accurate cost to see if you were treated fairly...

one catch...this website does not reflect Ebays special discounted shipping price that sellers receive when they ship on Ebay...it only gives USPS's website purchase or over the USPS's over the counter purchase price on their postage...

Ebay offers a discount if you create your postage for a USPS shipping label from their website...often a substantial discount actually...I have seen them as high as 42%...but that is rare...it's usually between 15% to 25%...but it varies...

please keep in mind...when you use Ebay's shipping as a seller...Ebay also collects 10% in fees on the shipping purchased...if I buy a USPS Priority shipping label off of Ebay...which I always do as I receive a hefty discount...Ebay still charges the seller 10% of the total shipping label created...

if I purchase an Ebay USPS shipping label to Australia for $48...Ebay charges me as the seller $4.80...

so the hefty discount Ebay gives me from buying the USPS postage on their website is somewhat diminished...

basically they give you with one hand...and take some back with the other...

Larso...I encourage you to play with this website a little bit...you will be shocked what it costs to ship International...

for example...USPS's over the counter price for a 1 pound item to Australia...which is about the size of a very thin T-bone steak...with a value of $20...

1 pound...$16.75
2 pound...$24.15
3 pound...$31.55
4 pound...$38.95

and these are the cheap First Class shipping labels...

once it's over 4 pounds...they make you buy USPS Priority labels...those are their rules...

5 pound...$58.50
6 pounds...$62.95

these are true over the counter prices for USPS shipping to Australia...

the same postage can be purchased and printed from USPS online directly with a small discount...instead of bought over the counter at their local brick and mortar outlet...but it's just plain old expensive to ship International...

there are so many rules to shipping International...

all countries are different but did you know that the biggest box USPS will send International Priority has a size limit of 97 combined inches?

that's not very big...

to measure a box...you take the entire girth...which is a measuring tape wrapped around the entire box...then add the longest length...

a 19 x 19 inch square box is the limit Australia will accept from USPS...

19 x 19 x 19 x 19 = 76 inches for the girth...
then add 19 more for the length again...
that's 95"s which is barely under the limit...

International shipping is expensive...

you can use the website length to see how your customers are treating you...

I love shipping to Australia...they are some of my favorite customers and I have never had a problem with a lost or damaged box to a buyer there...

Larso...

you know who really gets whoooooped upside the head as a buyer on International shipping...

countries like the UK and Canada...etc...

that charge VAT and duty fees before the buyer can receive their parcel through customs...

still...I have had customers tell me that they price I'm offering on the same item that they can buy locally is cheaper from me coming from the US...

in your case...

I would try to work with my local dealer on my purchases before I buy International...

I have had many buyers ask me to lower the claimed value on an item when shipping it to reduce their duty fees...

but i won't do it...

I recently sold a $175 building to a guy in the UK and he asked me to claim the value at $49 so he could avoid some customs fees...

I wouldn't do it...

he's basically asking me to defraud the United States and the UK and I heard their was a pretty hefty fine if you're caught doing this...

I would encourage all non US residents to work with their local shops before buying International...

What I meant to say it s a rip off for the buyer when ebay don't show the exact price for shipping until after they go to check out
that is what I have been told by the buyers
I have already refunded part of the shipping to a guy in Germany because GSP DONT COMBINE
And a buyer in Australia is raging about having to pay for 2 parcels when I can send in one ,in which I have said I will try and cancel and send by Royal mail so as not to upset him
When I buy from USA i usually ask if they combine but if they don't i committed to buy so i pay up without a fuss and the i usually pay customs charges as well as that is how things work on ebay ,NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT BUT THATS HOW IT GOES
Scott

What I meant to say it s a rip off for the buyer when ebay don't show the exact price for shipping until after they go to check out
that is what I have been told by the buyers
I have already refunded part of the shipping to a guy in Germany because GSP DONT COMBINE
And a buyer in Australia is raging about having to pay for 2 parcels when I can send in one ,in which I have said I will try and cancel and send by Royal mail so as not to upset him
When I buy from USA i usually ask if they combine but if they don't i committed to buy so i pay up without a fuss and the i usually pay customs charges as well as that is how things work on ebay ,NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT BUT THATS HOW IT GOES
Scott

Scott...

yea...
I understand what you're saying...
there is no reason I can think of why they can't combine 2 of your incoming or outgoing parcels to save on shipping...

but...that's Ebay...
they have a monopoly on this game pretty much...
Amazon is a distant second and not even a player as far as toy soldier auctions...

their Global Shipping is not the only game in town though...
you have options there...

also...
there is a tab...
I don't remember where...
but all your shipping options currently default to Global Shipping...
unless you decline it by checking it...
I don't remember where it is...
but I'm sure an Ebay representative can help you turn it off so you have more affordable choices...

as far as buying...
when a seller can't combine shipping...
I don't know...
I guess you have to ask for disclosure on his "combine shipping rule" before you commit...

cause that would make me mad too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back