EOI Romans scale? (1 Viewer)

Uthred

I was wondering abouth the real size of East of India's Romans? Is it the same scale as Conte or K&C or smaller?
:confused:

The reason I ask is because I plan on making a Teutoburg Wald diorama, and I got plenty of Barbarians (Conte and K&C), but no Roman yet. As a matter of fact in spite of the fact both these ranges are gorgeous, their Romans are the same size as the Barbarians and that's incorrect! We know from Roman sources they were awed by how tall and big the Barbarians were compared to them. I'd like to reflect that on my diorama.

Can anyone help me, please? Maybe some pictures comparing sizes between EOI, Conte or K&C?

Thank you!

Cheers...

Uthred

Re: EAI Romans scale?

A typo on on title... it looks like one can't edit titles?
:confused::eek::confused:

Oh, well...
:(

Cheers...

Uthred

I was wondering abouth the real size of East of India's Romans? Is it the same scale as Conte or K&C or smaller?
:confused:

The reason I ask is because I plan on making a Teutoburg Wald diorama, and I got plenty of Barbarians (Conte and K&C), but no Roman yet. As a matter of fact in spite of the fact both these ranges are gorgeous, their Romans are the same size as the Barbarians and that's incorrect! We know from Roman sources they were awed by how tall and big the Barbarians were compared to them. I'd like to reflect that on my diorama.

Can anyone help me, please? Maybe some pictures comparing sizes between EOI, Conte or K&C?

Thank you!

Cheers...

Uthred
Well I can offer some measurements and impressions and maybe later some photo comparison of the EoI Romans and Conte Barbarians and Romans (Sparticus line). I used one of the Conte Roman archers since he was the only one nearly erect. Using calipers, the Conte Roman measured
56mm sole to eyes
61mm sole to top of helmet (excluding plume)
35mm sole to sword belt (center)
15mm elbow to fist
15mm body width below armpits

The EoI Roman measured
52mm sole to eyes
56mm sole to top of helmet (the EoI helmet is flatter)
30mm sole to sword belt
12.5 mm elbow to fist
12mm body width below armpits

So in general the EoI Romans are about 4mm smaller overall. At 1/30 scale, that is about 4.7 inches and about 5 inches at 1/32. So if you want the impression of very large Barbarians fighting small Romans, these might indeed work for you. I can say the EoI Romans are very nice but do not really fit with my Conte Romans. I will try and post a Roman vs Barbarian photo comparison for you soon.

Ok here are some comparison shots I took quickly. Ignore the color and figure detail, I was in a hurry and the lighting keep changing.

This first one from right shows a Conte Roman and the EoI Roman and Conte Roman archer used for measurements
P1000515cr40.jpg

Second we have an EoI Roman versus two Conte Barbarians
P1000517cr40.jpg

Third, a Conte Roman versus the same Contes
P1000518cr40.jpg

Forth, an EoI Roman versus Conte Barbarian
P1000519cr40.jpg

Finally an EoI Mounted Roman versus Conte Barbarian
P1000520cr40.jpg

Well I can offer some measurements and impressions and maybe later some photo comparison of the EoI Romans and Conte Barbarians and Romans (Sparticus line). I used one of the Conte Roman archers since he was the only one nearly erect. Using calipers, the Conte Roman measured
56mm sole to eyes
61mm sole to top of helmet (excluding plume)
35mm sole to sword belt (center)
15mm elbow to fist
15mm body width below armpits

The EoI Roman measured
52mm sole to eyes
56mm sole to top of helmet (the EoI helmet is flatter)
30mm sole to sword belt
12.5 mm elbow to fist
12mm body width below armpits

So in general the EoI Romans are about 4mm smaller overall. At 1/30 scale, that is about 4.7 inches and about 5 inches at 1/32. So if you want the impression of very large Barbarians fighting small Romans, these might indeed work for you. I can say the EoI Romans are very nice but do not really fit with my Conte Romans. I will try and post a Roman vs Barbarian photo comparison for you soon.

Thank you, Bill!

These measurements and the pics prove I was right in the assumption EOI Romans were indeed smaller than Conte's or K&C's. I agree with you, EOI do not mix with the other ranges of Romans, but I consider them PERFECT fighting the Barbarians (after all the Barbarians were bigger and taller anyway)!
:D:cool:

I'll get a few of these for my diorama!
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

Thank you, Bill!

These measurements and the pics prove I was right in the assumption EOI Romans were indeed smaller than Conte's or K&C's. I agree with you, EOI do not mix with the other ranges of Romans, but I consider them PERFECT fighting the Barbarians (after all the Barbarians were bigger and taller anyway)!
:D:cool:

I'll get a few of these for my diorama!
;)

Cheers...

Uthred
No problem mate; you have opened my eyes to a new possibilities. I had forgotten the noted size advantage of the Germans. I was think more of British Barbarians which I think we much closer in size to Romans. Yes, those EoI Romans might fit well indeed.

No problem mate; you have opened my eyes to a new possibilities. I had forgotten the noted size advantage of the Germans. I was think more of British Barbarians which I think we much closer in size to Romans. Yes, those EoI Romans might fit well indeed.

Bill, in average the Germanic tribesmen were 10 cm (4 inches) taller than the Romans: 1,72 m to 1,62 m tall. That's the reason Julius Caesar had a body guard composed only with Germanic warriors.
;)

I'm glad I helped you!
:cool:

Cheers...

Uthred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back