Fine hacksaws?- cutting a casting (1 Viewer)

Hazebrouck

Sergeant
I'm after some advice as I need to cut a section of a metal casting and my metal hacksaw is a little too large for the fine. What sort of fine hacksaw or cutter are other treefroggers using for modifications/conversions?

Scott

Go down to your local hobby store and check out micro saws such as Xacto. I believe Michael's also has them. If this isn't an option, google MicroMart.

Hope this helps . . .

Bosun Al

I second that, Al. Scott, check out the razor saws. You should see a selection similar to what you'd find for woodworking saws, that is, you can get saws with different numbers of teeth, for finer or rougher cuts. I have 3, though I think 2 of them are the same model, just with different model numbers. I use a #35, which has a medium blade, and a 230, which has a finer cut, with more teeth. I also have a #235, but it looks like the #35, and since I bought the #35 over 30 years ago, I expect it's the same blade. Either blade will give you a relatively fine cut, with a small kerf.

The blades have a back made of a piece of folded sheet steel, which is shaped at one end to fit into a handle. I tend to hold mine by the back of the saw, though for some cutting, I do mount it in the handle. The handle also fits some other blades, like a #2 hobby knife blade.

There are other makers besides X-Acto, but the design is pretty much the same, regardless of the maker.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

Thanks Al and Brad.

I went to a hobby store and had a look at the razor saws and realised they wouldn't be the right tool for cutting off some parts of the particular casting I am working on due to the depth of the blade but came away with a packet of MAXX #15 medium saw blades that are long and narrow and fit into those areas with restricted access. They also fit into an Xacto blade holder.

I think I will get a razor saw though later as they look useful for removing arms and legs from a casting.

Regards,

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back