FIW flags (1 Viewer)

chalklands

Sergeant First Class
Hi,
I'm thinking of making some British Regimental cloth flags (Kings and Regimental colours) 54mm, for the French Indian War. Does anybody know if any finials, cords and poles are available to buy anywhere? (I'm sure I can just use copper rod for the poles if not available). It's the finials/cords which I am most interested in obtaining.

Thanks

Pete

This might be a good question for johnnybach, since he is very familiar with sources for replacement parts in the UK. Off the top of my head, I think of Tommy Atkins, Fusilier, or Alexander Toy Soldiers, whose catalogs included color-bearers. Whether you can get the finials cast separately, I don't know.

You might also contact John Eden, who has much of Russell Gammage's Rose Miniatures catalog, about getting finials for the colors.

As far as the cords go, you can just use copper wire and putty or solder for the tassels. British colors at the time had cords of mixed scarlet and gold silk thread. By contrast, the Prussians had ribbons to bind their colors when furled. I use wire and putty for mine.

Hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back