german half-track whitewashed (1 Viewer)

stefanuccio

Private 2
hy guys
just receveid the german sdkfz semi-track in the whitewashed colours scheme
and it really looks stunning in all its details.
I am courious to know if this item is included in the battle of the bulge series,the luftwaffe in action ,or the winter war series.
Theoretically if on teathers post 1943 the whitewash should have been applied over a send/send and camo scheme am i rigth
I am not very experienced with this vehicles but i like a certain degree of historical accuracy on my collectibles
Can anyone tell me if is a correct semi-track with the proper colour scheme?
thanks very much for your opinions
stefano

hy guys
just receveid the german sdkfz semi-track in the whitewashed colours scheme
and it really looks stunning in all its details.
I am courious to know if this item is included in the battle of the bulge series,the luftwaffe in action ,or the winter war series.
Theoretically if on teathers post 1943 the whitewash should have been applied over a send/send and camo scheme am i rigth
I am not very experienced with this vehicles but i like a certain degree of historical accuracy on my collectibles
Can anyone tell me if is a correct semi-track with the proper colour scheme?
thanks very much for your opinions
stefano

What model are you asking about?

Terry

The SdKfz 251/22 was discussed in an earlier thread

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16020&highlight=SdKfz+251/22

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14789&highlight=SdKfz+251/22&page=5

To summarize, the whitewashed vehicle would have had a dunklegleb dark yellow base (not sand/sand) with 1 or 2 camo patterns on it like the summer version or even a late war red primer base with 1 or 2 with 1 or 2 camo patterns on it. The winter version would not have been at the Battle of the Bulge as they weren't built until later in the war. Most of the vehicles at the Battle of the Bulge were not whitewashed anyway.

The SdKfz 251/22 is a late war AFV after January 1945.

Terry

The Pakwagon K&C released actually was introduced and produced from early dec 44 and, two were used in the BOB in the latter part of the attack. Both were knocked out by Jabo's.

I have some pics of the wreckage with GI's around them and, some of the souveniers from the unfortunate crew from my wife whose father served in the defence of the german attack.

Will try to get some posted on here some time but, have hundreds of pics and home shot movies from this time in both B&W and Colour.

Not whitewashed in disruptive camo but, as its a winter offensive K&C have used some artistic licence but, it works really well.

Hope this helps

The Pakwagon K&C released actually was introduced and produced from early dec 44 and, two were used in the BOB in the latter part of the attack. Both were knocked out by Jabo's.

I have some pics of the wreckage with GI's around them and, some of the souveniers from the unfortunate crew from my wife whose father served in the defence of the german attack.

Will try to get some posted on here some time but, have hundreds of pics and home shot movies from this time in both B&W and Colour.

Not whitewashed in disruptive camo but, as its a winter offensive K&C have used some artistic licence but, it works really well.

Hope this helps

Would love to see those photos, especially the colour ones.

How late in the battle do you think the two SdKfz 251/22 were introduced - while the Germans were advancing or after they were retreating back to their start position?

Terry

As I say have loads of stuff and some has been used on Documentary's on TV(WWII in colour that sort of stuff) but still have lots of stuff. My wife's grandparents were mad on pictures and, took photo's of anything and everything.

Will get round to sorting some of the colour stuff out as I said earlier it sometimes makes the military historians blush a little when confronted with pictures of stuff they say could not have happened. I have friend who lectures at Sandhurst and have done this to him acouple of times.

My problem is I do not have a huge amount of interest in the ETO I enjoy it but, with my own grandfather serving in Burma etc thats where my interest really is.

Missed your last question. Early to mid jan have no exact dates as conversations with My wife's grandfather before his death were not exact on dates.

I have just recently started going through some of this battles stuff and, hopefully will be able to find out the regiment etc of the vehicle as I have some stuff from the crew which may help but, as its with other things its not easy.

The group were prolific souvenier hunters for want of a better term.

As I say have loads of stuff and some has been used on Documentary's on TV(WWII in colour that sort of stuff) but still have lots of stuff. My wife's grandparents were mad on pictures and, took photo's of anything and everything.

Will get round to sorting some of the colour stuff out as I said earlier it sometimes makes the military historians blush a little when confronted with pictures of stuff they say could not have happened. I have friend who lectures at Sandhurst and have done this to him acouple of times.

My problem is I do not have a huge amount of interest in the ETO I enjoy it but, with my own grandfather serving in Burma etc thats where my interest really is.

An accepted proposition must immediately be abandoned in the presence of verified empirical evidence. Rather than causing people to blush it should lead to further investigation to explain the discrepency in the data.

The Wittmann Tiger debate comes to mind. There is data regarding the model (mid or late) pointing in two different directions. The photographic evidence points to a late model while the documentary evidence points to a mid model. For me this just begs the question, why the discrepency? what happened?

I look forward to seeing your pictures when you get a chance to share them with us.

Panzeraces your archive may embarrass a few forum members too,a number of whom stated they had irrefutable archival evidence that late war German vehicles were not painted in grey !!!.One that springs to mind stated that his archive material had been "Published" and therefore we should all bow to its absolutism,with no further need to doubt ,inspite of eyewitness testimony to the contrary.His view on allied eyewitness testimony was "they were confused" and had watched too many war films since using incorrect equipment and camo colours,his example was "A BRIDGE TOO FAR" but axis eyewitness testimony was more believable because it corroborated his "Published "archive.The same member admitted that he knew very little about WW2 before 1944 since his archive material only covered 1944 to 1945. Be mindful that the same member said he had tens of thousands of toy soldiers in his collection !!!.Your family's collection sounds really interesting and i hope you can post some of it soon, Ken

I am not a quasi-expert historian but, having read this blog for years without joining in I did so to not only join in but, to get my point over that collecting was meant to be fun and, whatever way that you do it is not wrong or right.

My own collection of memorabilia is no better or worse than anyone else's but, what I am fortunate about is that most is photos' taken by people who were actually there and were not censored in what they snapped.

I would never be foolish enough to impose my ideas on other collectors and, only would say that where I have proof of something which, can assist some collectors from being sent down a road they may not wish to go then I will blog it.

We are in a disadvantage as military history with new technology etc and, investigation is changing from what has been written in stone and, one contributer talked of the Wittman tank as an example. I have stuff that says its one kind of version whilst others state its not and, another saying it was a mix of early and late versions so, it could drive you mad if you accept it all.

Just enjoy and do your own thing

I do hope you can find the time to post some of these photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back