Gig Carriage Conversion (2 Viewers)

whdamon

Corporal
As seen in a previous thread I fortunately stumbled on to a collection of "antique" toy carriages. From this I have managed to cobble a few to
acceptable conversions, and although not the Phoenix Bygone Age carriages I wanted, they do manage to fit in along side. One of those conversions follows.

I will call it the Gig. Looks like a cast iron toy not unlike a Hubley casting, although no markings. It needed dressing up so into the spare box.
A few creative uses of plastic model kit parts from a Panzer IV tank made for a dung shield, tool box and canopy cover in the down position. A raid of my
daughters 1970 Britain's Farm set, yielded a moderate sized horse to pull the gig and we were off to the next steps

IMG_2745-resize.JPG
IMG_2875-resize.JPG

Next came paint and to find some suitable passengers
Paint was quick with coach green and yellow wheels, but the passengers required a lot of trial and error.
Remember, part of my self imposed challenge was to use Phoenix Model Developments figures even if they needed to be modified.
I started with trial fitting a unique set called "Napoleon Advancing" thinking that would provide an interesting gesture of the driver, but also realized a
major conversion of the Little Corporal was in order to make him an English Gentleman of late 19th century.

IMG_3856-resize.JPG
IMG_3040-resize.JPG

In addition, I needed to make a set of reins. I have discovered the best material to make horse reins is from wire used to make fly fishing lures.
This material comes in various gauges of very malleable, strong but very easy to form with no kinks, lead wire on a spool, super cheap.
I will pull out a length and hammer flat on my bench anvil. Prime, then spray paint black and let sit until I have the horse and driver in place before fitting.

IMG_3437-size.JPG

Stay tuned.....this adventure is not over

...In addition, I needed to make a set of reins. I have discovered the best material to make horse reins is from wire used to make fly fishing lures.
This material comes in various gauges of very malleable, strong but very easy to form with no kinks, lead wire on a spool, super cheap...

Sounds similar to wire solder, Walt. I use that for making hoses on some sci-fi models, and I've thought it could be flatted for reins and straps.

Prost!
Brad

Sounds similar to wire solder, Walt. I use that for making hoses on some sci-fi models, and I've thought it could be flatted for reins and straps.

Prost!
Brad

I also use flattened wire to make sword blades when they are broken or missing.

I do like Napoleon Advancing, I'd love to get that kit and paint it for my collection :)

S&D have it
r21.jpg

John

Continuing with the Gig conversion. After deciding not to use the figures from Napoleon Advancing, a further search of the Phoenix
figures awaiting assignment came up with 2 figures that fit perfectly in the Gig. Actually the Gig driver designed for ByGone Age Gig
and a lady from the Regency Collection.

IMG_3740-resize.JPG

They were immediately thrown into the in process painting queue along with numerous other
figures, horses and carriages planned for a X-mas display

IMG_3892-resize.JPG

And here is the finished Gig with passengers painted in a combination of acrylics and artist oils. Not also the reins have now been attached,to include a horse mouth bit from the
Historex spares box, as the last step

IMG_4785-resize.JPG
IMG_4789-resize.JPG
Note the Panzer IV tool box attached to the rear of the gig
IMG_4791-resize.JPG

...They were immediately thrown into the in process painting queue along with numerous other
figures, horses and carriages planned for a X-mas display

View attachment 268923

Walt, the woman sitting at the back end of the brewery cart looks like another conversion of a Regency/l'Empire figure, is that right? I never thought of that before, but by adding skirts of various styles, those basic female figures can pass for a number of European time periods. Certainly backdating to the 18th century seems simple enough. Never thought of that, and I don't usually look for those figures, because it's not a period I collect. I'll have to keep that in mind, going forward.

Another outstanding project, so fun to watch you bring it together!

Prosit!
Brad

Nice paintwork on the figures, and the horses.

I hope we can keep seeing more of your work,

John

Nice paintwork on the figures, and the horses.

I hope we can keep seeing more of your work,

John

Done with Carriages for a while after this lot. I do have some flats I will be posting
in the painting thread, so stay tuned. Like to see more of your work as well,especially any more of the Phoenix
figures and accessories.

Walt Damon

Walt, the woman sitting at the back end of the brewery cart looks like another conversion of a Regency/l'Empire figure, is that right? I never thought of that before, but by adding skirts of various styles, those basic female figures can pass for a number of European time periods. Certainly backdating to the 18th century seems simple enough. Never thought of that, and I don't usually look for those figures, because it's not a period I collect. I'll have to keep that in mind, going forward.

Another outstanding project, so fun to watch you bring it together!

Prosit!
Brad

She is a stock Phoenix figure from the Regency line. So no conversion. She was out from the gray army as a potential passenger in the Hansom Cab project, but alas
that skirt came out way way to far in front to fit her in the cab with the doors closed. She wasn't a good fit for the Gig either as the sides of the skirt came back to far and hit the seat not allowing her back to fit up against the back rest.

Hence she is back on the bench waiting for another assignment.

Note the other figure had more of a right angle sitting position and fit right into the gig seat.

I find the gowns on the Regency
ladies to be very versatile across eras so have no issues using with Napoleonic through Victorian.

I think painting the gowns to period colors is the trick. I tried a silky satin this time in loud colors for the early 20th century gadabout in the gig.

IMG_9316-resize.JPG
IMG_9263-resize.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back