Gordons Horse (Indian Cavalry)- Help with uniform (1 Viewer)

Hazebrouck

Sergeant
Just starting on my first figure for the year, an old Rose kit, a Lance Daffadar of Gordons Horse.

I need some help with some details please. Firstly, would anyone have any paint references for the uniform- in particular the turban colours and the tunic?

I have found some images here from Prince August, however the turban looks to be of a bulkier style and the Rose colour guide indicates some gold edging at the base of the tunic collar.

I think the tunic (or kurta) should be rifle green as should the puttees.

Rose indicate that the turban should be light blue on the right side with dark blue stripes on which are three white lines, which is different from their illustration, but the same as Prince August.

http://www.princeaugust.ie/809-2/index.html

Any recommendations for a suitable flesh colour as well?

The figure is shown below. I am not certain what date the uniform represents- I suspect around late Victorian era, but I have been wrong at times. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 344
The only info I have on Gordon's Horse show the coat and puttees as Rifle Green, pants as white, and the turban as Rifle Green and light blue with white and dark blue stripes. I have no info as to the turban pattern, though. Sorry this isn't much help. -- Al

Hi Scott,
Attached is a copy of plate from the book, THE ARMIES OF INDIA, painted by Maj. A.C. Lovett, text by Maj. G.F. MacMunn, DSO, published in 1911. I believe it is a fairly well accepted and accurate standard reference. The mounted lancer is a Lance Daffadar of the 30th Lancers (Gordon’s Horse). Imperial Toy Soldiers (New Zealand) produced a single officer (Set 1051d) and a set of three Lancers of Gordon’s Horse (Set 1050d) in 1989. Their uniforms are painted identical to the plate, which may have been used as a reference. Greenwood & Ball also produced a single officer, as did a couple of other companies. Having worked with Photoshop for over two hours to conform to the forum's image standards, some detail and resolution have been lost. The kurta is dark (piper) green. Hope this will be of assistance.
Best regards,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

IMGmod2.jpg

Gordon's Horse was originally the 4th Cavalry of the Hyderabad contingent and became the 30th lancers (Gordon's Horse) in 1903. The regiment was composed of 1 squadron of Jats, 2 squadrons of Sikhs and 1 squadron of Hindustani Mussulmans, this composition would account for the variances in turban size and style as each squadron would tie then according to their religious practice. The attached picture was painted by Colonel Edwards, an ex Indian Army officer and a noted authority. Trooper

Attachments

• gordons.jpg
    gordons.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 263
The only info I have on Gordon's Horse show the coat and puttees as Rifle Green, pants as white, and the turban as Rifle Green and light blue with white and dark blue stripes. I have no info as to the turban pattern, though. Sorry this isn't much help. -- Al
I forgot to mention that I do have two sets of Gordon's Horse en route from Regal/SoW of New Zealand, with the above described uniforms, but I have not gotten them yet. It will be intersting to see the uniforms when I get them. -- Al

Thanks gents for the replies.

I might go with that image by Lovett, thanks Arnhem Jim. The gold colured turban looks to be officers only.

Lancer could you post some images of the Regal figures when you have them.

Any tips on flesh colour for the figure?

Scott

Thanks gents for the replies.

I might go with that image by Lovett, thanks Arnhem Jim. The gold colured turban looks to be officers only.

Lancer could you post some images of the Regal figures when you have them.

Any tips on flesh colour for the figure?

Scott
The kullah (conical base of the turban) is white, just looks gold due to having to fiddle around with the plate as I indicated in initial reply. Correct the gold kullah is for officers.
Jim

Thanks Jim and Britfarmer.

Had a bit of a play with some Citadel colours yesterday- Tallarn flesh for base, mixed with calthan brown for darker areas. added some Vallejo flat flesh to highlight.

Not 100% happy with the flesh colours but getting there!

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 184
Hi There,

Great start to the figure. I wouldnt mess around too much with it until you get the turban and tunic painted. You may find that with the dark colors of these it will make his face appear darker. Just a thought but I think he looks pretty good so far.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I think what you are saying is right regards the darker uniform colours. I have gone a little lighter than a true rifle green so the figure doesn't appear too dark.

I think this is what they have done with the Prince August figures. The green they have used looks right!

Scott

I am looking forward to the completed figure. I also wanted to mention another book for information on Indian Cavalry Uniforms.

Indian Cavalry Regiments: 1880-1914

By Bowling.

Its a good source of uniform pics in color as well. Out of print for a while i believe but still around on the secondary market and at old book stores.

Dave

Work in progress. His face has lightened up.

Need to thicken up the blue stripes on the turban.

Will look out for that book Dave.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 79
Very nearly there!

Had a slight problem with the Humbrol gold paint I used on the buttons running with the gloss lacquer between the shirt buttons- not sure how I will fix it, but otherwise happy with how it turned out.

Had to add the tache as he didn't look right with a nude upper lip!

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back