Graham Farish Military Miniatures (1 Viewer)

ucla1967

Major
On behalf of another collector, I recently picked up, on eBay, seven Graham Farish Military Miniatures. They were part of the Graham Farish Military Dress Range commissioned from Russell Gammage and Lt. Colonel Nicholson from 1954 to 1957. The seven of 13 known figures include:

George, Prince of Wales, Full Dress of General of Hussars, 1812

British Royal Artillery Officer, 1833

British Sergeant of the Grenadier Company (Foot Guards), 1792

British Officer, Infantry of the Line, 1833

British Officer of the 10th Hussars, 1805

Frederick, Duke of York, Full Dress of Colonel-in-Chief of the Rifle Corps, 1823

French Hussar, 1809

All seven figures were in their original individual boxes and signed on the bottom of their bases by Graham Farish.

Attachments

• s-l1600[6].jpg
    s-l1600[6].jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 364
  • s-l1600[6].jpg
    s-l1600[6].jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 335
  • s-l1600[7] (2).jpg
    s-l1600[7] (2).jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 358
  • s-l1600[7].jpg
    s-l1600[7].jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 353
  • s-l1600[9].jpg
    s-l1600[9].jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 342
Beautiful figures. -- Al

Thanks Al, I agree and must admit that I know next to nothing about Graham Farish's body of work. On the other hand, my good friend, Bob, has quite a few in his collection which, here to for, I had not paid to much attention to.

Mike

Here is what the individual boxes look like from this series. They tend to be quite messy since the figures are packed in long wood shavings and sawdust, if you can believe it. I probably should not have been wearing a black polo shirt when we opened these boxes; I looked like I just had come out of my 8th grade wood shop class.

Attachments

• s-l1600[6] (2).jpg
    s-l1600[6] (2).jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 214
Prior to picking up the seven figures on eBay, I had also bid on and won a single figure from the same series of the British Sergeant of the Grenadier Company (Foot Guards), 1792 which was also included among the seven figures I won a few days later. The Grenadier in the larger group had a severely bent bayonet which almost formed a circle and we weren't sure if it could survive being straightened out, so this was insurance against damaging the bent bayonet. It was ultimately straightened out satisfactorily with some paint chipping

Attachments

• s-l1600[5].jpg
    s-l1600[5].jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 204
  • s-l1600[6] (4).jpg
    s-l1600[6] (4).jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 204
  • s-l1600N0ZKAEQY.jpg
    s-l1600N0ZKAEQY.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 199
  • s-l1600[9] (2).jpg
    s-l1600[9] (2).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 196
I notice that each figure's base has a hole bored in the center. Is that original to the figures, or did someone have them mounted on something?

I've always thought that Farish's figures shared a style with Vertunni's figures, particularly in the way he did the faces.

They are indeed a lovely little collection!

Prost!
Brad

I notice that each figure's base has a hole bored in the center. Is that original to the figures, or did someone have them mounted on something?

I've always thought that Farish's figures shared a style with Vertunni's figures, particularly in the way he did the faces.

They are indeed a lovely little collection!

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,

I don't have the slightest idea. These particular figures supposedly came from a wealthy British doctors collection and I guess it is possible that he had them made that way. I also noticed the similarity of the eyes, in particular, to Vertunni's figures.

Mike

The third and final auction I won on eBay was for a figure from Graham Farish's Historical Series and is identified as Britain's King Alfred (not further identified as to which one). I really don't know how extensive the Historical Series was, but it might have been interesting to have collected. I have also included a photo of the inside of the box where you can see the wood shavings, but not the sawdust under the shavings. I noticed that this figure does not have a hole drilled into the base as did the other figures from the Historical Military Dress Series.

Attachments

• s-l1600HNXXGZ3J.jpg
    s-l1600HNXXGZ3J.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 179
  • s-l1600[9] (3).jpg
    s-l1600[9] (3).jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 188
  • s-l1600[4].jpg
    s-l1600[4].jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 203

Hi Brad,

I don't have the slightest idea. These particular figures supposedly came from a wealthy British doctors collection and I guess it is possible that he had them made that way...

Yes, I agree. I don't think they came from Farish's workshop like that. If we look closely, we can see clean metal burrs from the drilling process. I think that if a customer ordered bases modified to be attached to something, the holes would have been bored and cleaned up before painting. Also, if we look at your latest piece, we see a stock base without a hole. I think some previous owner did that, to attach the figures to a common display base.

Prost!
Brad

Yes, I agree. I don't think they came from Farish's workshop like that. If we look closely, we can see clean metal burrs from the drilling process. I think that if a customer ordered bases modified to be attached to something, the holes would have been bored and cleaned up before painting. Also, if we look at your latest piece, we see a stock base without a hole. I think some previous owner did that, to attach the figures to a common display base.

Prost!
Brad

Yes, I believe you are spot on regarding the owner making the holes so that they could be attached to a common base and that it is unlikely that they came from the workshop that way.

Mike

These four figures (not part of the auction) are also from Graham Farish's Military Dress Range and include the two of the previously seen figures, BRITISH OFFICER OF THE 10TH HUSSARS. I am not sure what Regiments that the other two figures represent since the original boxes do not have identifying labels.

Attachments

• IMG_8488[1].JPG
    IMG_8488[1].JPG
    571 KB · Views: 175
  • Graham Farish.JPG
    Graham Farish.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8461[1].JPG
    IMG_8461[1].JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8462[1].JPG
    IMG_8462[1].JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8470[1].JPG
    IMG_8470[1].JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 158
Hello Mike,

These are excellent figures, well-balanced in sculpting and beautifully painted.

I think that the red figure could represent either Joachim Murat or Sir Vivian Hussey.

Murat was depicted in various combinations of Hussar uniforms, with red dolman, red pants and red pelisse. Various boots include green, red and yellow. However, the taller shape of the colpack and all red dolman, pants and dark blue pelisse with yellow boots suggests an English hussar, probably Hussey.

This figure has a cane, same as the 10th Hussar, probably representing English officers (?).

I think that the other figure represents a French hussar due to the shape of the busby, but cannot fully identify this as a 13th Hussar or 2nd Westphalian regiment. The white pelisse is not obvious.

I note that both figures do not have sabretaches.

Rgds Victor

mur.jpgmur2.jpgmur5.jpgmur3.jpgmur6.jpg

Hello Mike,

These are excellent figures, well-balanced in sculpting and beautifully painted.

I think that the red figure could represent either Joachim Murat or Sir Vivian Hussey.

Murat was depicted in various combinations of Hussar uniforms, with red dolman, red pants and red pelisse. Various boots include green, red and yellow. However, the taller shape of the colpack and all red dolman, pants and dark blue pelisse with yellow boots suggests an English hussar, probably Hussey.

This figure has a cane, same as the 10th Hussar, probably representing English officers (?).

I think that the other figure represents a French hussar due to the shape of the busby, but cannot fully identify this as a 13th Hussar or 2nd Westphalian regiment. The white pelisse is not obvious.

I note that both figures do not have sabretaches.

Rgds Victor

View attachment 216377View attachment 216378View attachment 216379View attachment 216380View attachment 216381

Hi Victor,

Thank you for your comments on the possible identities of these figures; much appreciated.

That is an impressive color plate of the Napoleonic regiments uniforms you have attached. Is the source limited to just Napoleonic regiments? If not, I am looking for color plates with uniforms for two Uhlan Regiments circa 1900. They are the 2nd Royal Bavarian Uhlan Regiment and the 17th Royal Saxon Regiment. Thanks.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I took all the images off the internet. I am not sure of the originator of the last colour plate series and whether it is just confined to Napoleonic themes.

What I did was to type "Napoleonic uniforms colour plates and got these two websites which sells similar looking plates. Unfortunately, the images are very small and I cannot see who the publishers of the plates are.
http://www.calpeminiatures.co.uk/Prussian_Uniform_Plate_138--product--87.html
http://www.1789-1815.com/voir_planches.htm

I hope the above helps.

Rgds
Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back