Haffner Toy Soldiers (1 Viewer)

ucla1967

Major
A few months back, someone was selling what he described as Haffner Toy Soldiers on eBay. I don't know that much about them one way or the other to include whether they should be in the glossy or the matte sections, but here are the Franco-Prussian War figures he offered.

Attachments

• Haffner FPW.jpg
    Haffner FPW.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Haffner FPW (2).jpg
    Haffner FPW (2).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,384
  • Haffner FPW (3).jpg
    Haffner FPW (3).jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,109
He also had these World War I German Jaegers on eBay. I don't know what either set sold for or even if they were sold.

Attachments

• Haffner.jpg
    Haffner.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 499
  • Haffner (3).jpg
    Haffner (3).jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 540
  • Haffner (2).jpg
    Haffner (2).jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 719
Johan Haffner

Germany, Fürth , 1863-1893, flat, semi-flat, solid and hollow cast 30mm, 40mm and solid up to 70mm
Haffner.jpg

Last edited:
One of the classic German makers!

Berliner Zinnfiguren has a number of Haffner sets in their flea market area, and usually have some at any given time. I think they may also have some of the molds and issue sets from time to time.

Prost!
Brad

One of the classic German makers!

Berliner Zinnfiguren has a number of Haffner sets in their flea market area, and usually have some at any given time. I think they may also have some of the molds and issue sets from time to time.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks Brad.

Hi.
Here are my Haffner figures. They are Greek Evzones.
Haffner Greek Evzones semiflats pic 2.JPG
Thanks,
MikeNick

These are a dozen Haffner cavalry figures that Bob recently added to his collection when another collector contacted me and asked me if Bob (who is not on line) would be interested in them. The answer is invariably yes.

Attachments

• IMG_1425[1].JPG
    IMG_1425[1].JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1426[1].JPG
    IMG_1426[1].JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1427[1].JPG
    IMG_1427[1].JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1428[1].JPG
    IMG_1428[1].JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 394
Those are some really great sets! Dont see them very often especially the larger ones on this side of the pond.

Thanks for sharing

Dave

These Haffner 20mm flats are on eBay for $39.95: Indian Infantry 1880.

Attachments

• Haffner 1.jpg
    Haffner 1.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Haffner 2.jpg
    Haffner 2.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 329
  • Haffner 3.jpg
    Haffner 3.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Haffner 4.jpg
    Haffner 4.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 403
These are eight larger scale Haffner cavalry figures that the same collector is offering to Bob. They really are quite nice. This is the 1st Royal Saxony Uhlan Regiment Nr. 17.

Attachments

• Haffner 17th 1st Royal Saxon Uhlans..JPG
    Haffner 17th 1st Royal Saxon Uhlans..JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 330
  • Haffner 17th 1st Royal Saxon Uhlans.JPG
    Haffner 17th 1st Royal Saxon Uhlans.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 326
  • P1100709[1].JPG
    P1100709[1].JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 385
He also has these nine goose stepping Haffner Bavarian Infantry that he is offering to Bob. I am not sure what scale they are.

Attachments

• Haffner Bavarians.JPG
    Haffner Bavarians.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 325
Hello Mike,

Although I am more of a painter/modeller of miniature/toy soldiers I appreciate and have bought a number of pre-painted figures. It is also great seeing examples of soldiers from an earlier period, as you have been doing with the Haffner figures.

I am not knowledgeable about the Haffner catalogue however I know something about Kaiserzeit uniforms, so please see my comments below:-

I do not think the figures listed as 1st Royal Saxony Uhlan Regiment Nr. 17. are either Saxon or ulans. The Kingdom of Saxony's Ulan regiment numbered 17 in the German system, its full title being:- Ulanen Regiment (Kaiser Fran Josef von Österreich , König von Ungarn) No. 17 wore a very different uniform e.g. lance caps/ Tschapskas and the tunic was the Ulanka. This regiment's facings were also crimson with brass buttons. The Saxon pennons for troopers was also white over green

Many German cavalrymen were issued with a lance, this led to a great deal of misreporting about Ulans being seen, in the early stages of WW1. The image of the Wappen on the helmet would need be clearer but I think the figures are Württemberg dragoons. This regiment had lemon yellow facings and the lance pennons for the troopers of that state was black over red.

My main reference in writing this message has been R. J. Marrion's Lancers and Dragoons, Uniforms of the Imperial German Cavalry 1900 - 1914 pub by Almark Publishing.

Yours Aye,
Douglas aka Blackbob

Hello Mike,

Although I am more of a painter/modeller of miniature/toy soldiers I appreciate and have bought a number of pre-painted figures. It is also great seeing examples of soldiers from an earlier period, as you have been doing with the Haffner figures.

I am not knowledgeable about the Haffner catalogue however I know something about Kaiserzeit uniforms, so please see my comments below:-

I do not think the figures listed as 1st Royal Saxony Uhlan Regiment Nr. 17. are either Saxon or ulans. The Kingdom of Saxony's Ulan regiment numbered 17 in the German system, its full title being:- Ulanen Regiment (Kaiser Fran Josef von Österreich , König von Ungarn) No. 17 wore a very different uniform e.g. lance caps/ Tschapskas and the tunic was the Ulanka. This regiment's facings were also crimson with brass buttons. The Saxon pennons for troopers was also white over green

Many German cavalrymen were issued with a lance, this led to a great deal of misreporting about Ulans being seen, in the early stages of WW1. The image of the Wappen on the helmet would need be clearer but I think the figures are Württemberg dragoons. This regiment had lemon yellow facings and the lance pennons for the troopers of that state was black over red.

My main reference in writing this message has been R. J. Marrion's Lancers and Dragoons, Uniforms of the Imperial German Cavalry 1900 - 1914 pub by Almark Publishing.

Yours Aye,
Douglas aka Blackbob

I think you're right, Doug; also, their button color was silver, wasn't it? That would match the fittings on the Helm then, too.

All German cavalry was armed with the lance, by the way; I think the order was implemented in 1910. It was made of a steel tube with a solid point. That decision was an indication of how little the development of machine guns and other improvements in the range and accuracy of firearms hadn't sunk in yet.

Speaking of machine guns, the Jäger set earlier in the thread is actually a machine gun detachment. The German army implemented dedicated detachments of machine guns, and they were given a Jäger-style field gray uniform, including a shako of the same pattern as that worn by the Jäger detachments.

Thanks all for bumping this thread! It was a good opportunity to have another look at these sets.

Prost!
Brad

Hello Mike,

Yours Aye,
Douglas aka Blackbob

Thanks for your input Douglas. I personally have no idea what the correct uniform should be and was only passing on what the seller was representing them as. Fortunately, Bob Walker has an unbelievable reference library on uniforms and will be able to readily identify these uniforms. However, I did wonder about the pennons not being Saxon white over green, too.

The seller also included this uniform color plate when he emailed me with the photos of the sets he wanted to sell.

Attachments

• 17th 1st Royal Saxon Uhlans Emperor Francis Joseph of Austria, King of Hungary[1].jpg
    17th 1st Royal Saxon Uhlans Emperor Francis Joseph of Austria, King of Hungary[1].jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 282
Hello All,

A clear image of a sergeant of ulans/uhlans. As was the case with other German states the lance pennon for nco's displays the state's coat of arms rather than its colours, white /green for Saxony, white/black for Prussia.
If readers want to compare the drawing with an original sergeant's uniform for Ulanan Regiment Nr. 17 click on this link --> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/tunics/dbt24.htm Lace and button colour for example are different.
I find Tony Schnurr's Kaiser Bunker a great reference for early 20th century German and Canadian uniforms.
One of these days must improve my technical skills to post images, but I think Tony's images are protected?

Yours Aye,
Douglas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back