Has anyone gotten the M-3 Grant? (1 Viewer)

Templar

Its about the time that the Grant would have come out, so has anyone seen/bought it. Is it worth the wait??, Is it great piece to expand on. Please Do tell :):).

I am also anxiously awaiting for this, so any comments would be welcome.

I have it. A lovely piece, along classic k&c lines. The 75mm traverses and elevates. The camouflage pattern is quite crisp and defined.

I did pre buy a number of EA figures to go with it!

Last edited:
Glad to hear that it looks great . I will be getting mine By tomorrow. And already got my 8th army, Must buys. Lined up.:D

It is a very nice looking vehicle......
I don't know if it is economically or structually feasible but "moving" hatches would really add diversity. If you wanted to do columns of tanks or an actual combat scene having closed hatches would be a needed option.
I wonder how others feel about this and if Andy could comment.

It is a very nice looking vehicle......
I don't know if it is economically or structually feasible but "moving" hatches would really add diversity. If you wanted to do columns of tanks or an actual combat scene having closed hatches would be a needed option.
I wonder how others feel about this and if Andy could comment.

That would be nice to have Functioning hatches. But, as far as putting it into a column of the same type of tanks, There is still the Number, that needs fixing (easy, to fix I know. with the Flames of war decals. But still needs fixing)

Roger (Spartan71)
My troop of three Grants arrived yesterday and look absolutely amazing in line abreast. I must have missed something in the contex of your post about numbers. The only marking on this AFV is the red triangle ("A" squadron) the regimental number (red square with 40 in it, left front track guard) and the 7th Armoured Division Insignia, The Desert Rats (red square on right front track guard). This AFV does not have any vehicle number on it.:confused:
Once again I think its back to the books my friend.
Cheers Howard:)

Roger (Spartan71)
My troop of three Grants arrived yesterday and look absolutely amazing in line abreast. I must have missed something in the contex of your post about numbers. The only marking on this AFV is the red triangle ("A" squadron) the regimental number (red square with 40 in it, left front track guard) and the 7th Armoured Division Insignia, The Desert Rats (red square on right front track guard). This AFV does not have any vehicle number on it.:confused:
Once again I think its back to the books my friend.
Cheers Howard:)

I thought the 40 was the Vehicle number, And thanks for enlightening me That it is the Regimental Number. And again, I am not disputing that I need to know more. If these were taught into detail in history class, When I was In School, . Then I might have as much Knowledge as you do ( they did not have elaborate books about WWII , in the Library, That would have enticed me). But, Nope. My lost. Any books you recommend?. And can I mix a Crusader (Ea029), with the Lee, Even though it has a different Camo??
Cheers,
Roger

Roger mate,
The question on how to use your EA AFVs in say dios is basically in two stages of the Desert campaign.
Early: EA07 Matilda, EA16 Vickers and EA44 Armoured Car
Later: EA30 Crusader EA43 Grant (both with 7th Armd Div. - Desert Rats - Tac Signs).
Both: EA40 Dingo Scout Car (NZ markings) EA41 Bren Carrier (7th Armd)

The mixing of Grants and Crusaders is a simple one in that when the Grants were introduced in March 1942 (replacing the Matilda) in a Royal Tank Regiment (RTR) which had three squadrons it was made up of 2 of Grants and 1 of Crusaders. This of course changed later with the introduction of Shermans. Camo changed thru out the campaign as the AK were pushed back from the sandy deserts of Libya to the more greener bushy areas of Tunisa.

But TS collecting is about having fun, so mix and match to your hearts content. I do. Historical accuracy can be carried too far sometimes with TS. I hope this helps.:)
Cheers Howard

I thought the 40 was the Vehicle number, And thanks for enlightening me That it is the Regimental Number. And again, I am not disputing that I need to know more. If these were taught into detail in history class, When I was In School, . Then I might have as much Knowledge as you do ( they did not have elaborate books about WWII , in the Library, That would have enticed me). But, Nope. My lost. Any books you recommend?. And can I mix a Crusader (Ea029), with the Lee, Even though it has a different Camo??
Cheers,
Roger

I would mix the Crusader and Grant although the markings are from slightly different periods in North Afrika, they tanks could have existed at the same time.

Both tanks have the red/white/red national identification mark on the side known as the RAC Flash which was normally on Matildas, Valentines and Grants in North Afrika while the Cruisers and Crusaders normally (but not always) had the older white/red/white national identification flash.

Both tanks have the Jeroba (7th Armoured Division Desert Rat) symbol from 1940 - 1943 for North Afrika.

The white 26 in a red square on the Crusader identifies it as the junior of 3 armoured regiments (24 - 25 & 26) in the Division in the Middle East during 1939-1940. The white 40 in a red square on the Grant identifies it as the senior of 3 armoured regiments (40 - 86 & 67) in the 7th armoured Division in the Middle East during 1941-1943. The 26 and 40 do not mean the 26th and 40th armoured regiments but were just the "Arm of Service" numbers and colours used in North Afrika in 1939-1940 and in 1941-1943. The actual names of the regiments (as in 8th Hussars) can be looked up in order of battle tables as which regiments were in a division changed from time to time.

The red triangle with the number 3 on the Crusader indicates it is the 3rd tank in "A" Squadron ("B' Sqd = square, "C" Sqd = Circle' HQ = Diamond) but being from the junior regiment as indicated by the #26, I would expect the triangle to be blue. The middle regiment used yellow.

The red triangle on the Grant identifies the tank as being from "A" Sqd of the senior regiment. There is no tank number as was often the case.

No wonder Rommel lost - he never knew who he was up against :D

Terry

Terry mate,
Good post cobber. Great intel for the newbies.
Cheers Howard

Excellent summary of what vehicles go into the early , late and both periods. But I think the Crusader could also be in both periods from 1940 - it looks like Andy used symbols from the 1939-1940 period for this particular Crusader.

Terry

Roger mate,
The question on how to use your EA AFVs in say dios is basically in two stages of the Desert campaign.
Early: EA07 Matilda, EA16 Vickers and EA44 Armoured Car
Later: EA30 Crusader EA43 Grant (both with 7th Armd Div. - Desert Rats - Tac Signs).
Both: EA40 Dingo Scout Car (NZ markings) EA41 Bren Carrier (7th Armd)

The mixing of Grants and Crusaders is a simple one in that when the Grants were introduced in March 1942 (replacing the Matilda) in a Royal Tank Regiment (RTR) which had three squadrons it was made up of 2 of Grants and 1 of Crusaders. This of course changed later with the introduction of Shermans. Camo changed thru out the campaign as the AK were pushed back from the sandy deserts of Libya to the more greener bushy areas of Tunisa.

But TS collecting is about having fun, so mix and match to your hearts content. I do. Historical accuracy can be carried too far sometimes with TS. I hope this helps.:)
Cheers Howard

I would mix the Crusader and Grant although the markings are from slightly different periods in North Afrika, they tanks could have existed at the same time.

Both tanks have the red/white/red national identification mark on the side known as the RAC Flash which was normally on Matildas, Valentines and Grants in North Afrika while the Cruisers and Crusaders normally (but not always) had the older white/red/white national identification flash.

Both tanks have the Jeroba (7th Armoured Division Desert Rat) symbol from 1940 - 1943 for North Afrika.

The white 26 in a red square on the Crusader identifies it as the junior of 3 armoured regiments (24 - 25 & 26) in the Division in the Middle East during 1939-1940. The white 40 in a red square on the Grant identifies it as the senior of 3 armoured regiments (40 - 86 & 67) in the 7th armoured Division in the Middle East during 1941-1943. The 26 and 40 do not mean the 26th and 40th armoured regiments but were just the "Arm of Service" numbers and colours used in North Afrika in 1939-1940 and in 1941-1943. The actual names of the regiments (as in 8th Hussars) can be looked up in order of battle tables as which regiments were in a division changed from time to time.

The red triangle with the number 3 on the Crusader indicates it is the 3rd tank in "A" Squadron ("B' Sqd = square, "C" Sqd = Circle' HQ = Diamond) but being from the junior regiment as indicated by the #26, I would expect the triangle to be blue. The middle regiment used yellow.

The red triangle on the Grant identifies the tank as being from "A" Sqd of the senior regiment. There is no tank number as was often the case.

No wonder Rommel lost - he never knew who he was up against :D

Terry

Great Information Guys!!, My Thanks. Its great to get Ideas, And You guys Helped a lot. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back