Hello from STG44 (1 Viewer)

STG44

Private 2
I have recently become reinterested in collecting toy soldiers and stumbled upon this fantastic forum. My collection is small compared to most people here. Due to my space constraints I expect it to stay relatively small and restricted to individual figures that interest me.

In looking around on this forum, I marvel at some of the collections people have and the dioramas that they have created. It's almost like a trip to the museum for me.

As a boy in the late 1960s and 1970s I lived in New York City and bought mostly boxed sets of Britain's and Timpo painted plastic figures--ranging from WWII allied and Axis, to knights, to Highlanders, to Scot's Guards to Royal Canadian Mounted Police, to Romans and Trojans, some Turks, Arabs, and French Foreign Legion. I also had a few Elastolin figures. I also had a fort or two from FAO Swartz and s castle or two from Elastolin. I bought these from the now defunct Polks Hobby Shop and Rapaports.

Fast forward to the late 1990s and discovered Ebay and looked through various categories of toy soldiers and found out exactly what I had. I still had all of my soldiers carefully boxed up and well-preserved. I unboxed them and figured out what I had. In looking at some of the other figures available I found myself attracted to the Elastolin and Preiser 70mm Normans and Vikings and bought a about two dozen of them, along with some Lansquenets. After a while I bought what I wanted and lost interest. I really liked the Normans and the detail present, since when I was a kid the Britain

Fast forward to a few months ago. I again took a look at Ebay and discovered a whole new world of Britains and some other makers other 1/30 scale soldiers. These are individual pewter figures with painstaking detail. I have bought about 20+ of them. I buy figures that interest me--their looks, their pose, etc. At first I concentrated on Britain's wrath of the Northman Vikings and Saxon figures. Then I bought a few Woodland Indians, now I am mostly buying Britain's WWI British soldiers, some WWII Germans and Americans, with a few others thrown in. I've also bought some King and Country and Thomas Gunn thrown in. I also bought some Conte Warlord figures, since I have always been a big fan of that movie.

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your collection, too.

Prost!
Brad

Always glad to see a new member join the Forum. Looking forward to seeing your collection and you ideas!

WELCOME ... {sm4}

--- LaRRy

Welcome aboard! I bought my son a couple of Elastolin forts and a bunch of Normans, Vikings, a few Landsknechts and a bunch of siege equipment for the very reasons you described: nostalgia for the Toy Soldiers I had as a kid. That same nostalgia led me to Britain’s, Trophy, King & Country and Heco Tinplate Models figures, vehicles and Diorama pieces. It’s a wonderful hobby and the forum is peopled with great guys, so enjoy!😎

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your collection, too.

Thanks.

Is there really any interest in me posting my small collection?

A lot of it is 1970s vintage Britains that was bought for me when I was a kid.

I like to see ORIGINAL Toy Soldiers , real ones from our childhood.

Here is my favorite Timpo Wild West Train from 1977, complete in the box

Attachments

• Timpo7thCavalryTrain.JPG
    Timpo7thCavalryTrain.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Timpo7thCavalryTrainBOX.JPG
    Timpo7thCavalryTrainBOX.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 164
I like to see ORIGINAL Toy Soldiers , real ones from our childhood.

Here is my favorite Timpo Wild West Train from 1977, complete in the box

That is amazing. That is a great looking display. You've inspired me.

Most of my Britain's and Timpos are boxed up in my house. I think what I will try to do is unpack them and post pictures of my collection gradually over time.

My displays are very simple, no grass or fancy trees . Timpo and Britains were childhood toys and meant to be played with, but do make a nice display on a shelf, no matter what the size or amount of figures.I do admit the Timpo trains give lots of play value.
I look forward to your pictures, Andy

Thanks.

Is there really any interest in me posting my small collection?

A lot of it is 1970s vintage Britains that was bought for me when I was a kid.

Absolutely! That's one reason we have this forum, to share our collections with people around the world.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks, folks. In the next few weeks I will get to it.

For the most part the Britains and Timpo toy soldiers that I have from the 1970s are in very good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back