Help IDing vintage semi-round 30mm (1 Viewer)

Michael Seemann

Private
I hope that this is in the correct sub forum. I picked up a few likely German or Austrian vintage 30mm Semi-Round figures on "fleabay", painted up as British line infantry. I'm wondering if any collectors out there might care to take a stab at who the maker was? Any help or input would be appreciated. :)

The 54mm Britain's guardsman is just for size comparison:

s-l16008h9h.jpg
s-l1600 (43)h9h8h.jpg

Those are great! My first thought is they are either Heyde or maybe by Joseph Kleber from Vienna but I will have to take a look at my reference books unless The Baron pops in and ids them he is really an expert on these older figures while just dabble.

Dave

Cheers for that my fellow Texan! These are the sort of figures that I like to pick up in fair to poor condition to refurbish and/or repaint to a higher standard for mere display value.

Since semi-round figures rarely have much value in terms of posterity or monetarily worth (at least outside Germany and Austria), is it fair to assume that I'm not committing some cardinal sin by doing so with these?

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

I am always infor making old played with figures looking show room new again! If you take a look at some of Johnny Backs work here you will see he routinely does this to what I think are magnificent results! As for our friends here I am leaning towards Austria as the source because they remind me very much of Klebers style and work but I am still digging and think that one of the other guys here will see that flag bearer and know it right away. I know I have seen it before just can’t remember where. Will keep digging because I love a mystery.

So on a side note where are you in Texas? As you noted I am in El Paso right now but am about to move to Colorado back to my wife’s home turf. Bring on the cooler weather I am already sick of the heat this year an it’s not even hot yet😜!

All the best

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, it is very much appreciated.

I'm from Dallas, but moved to the W. KY/TN area (not too far from Nashville) about 15 years ago. Still hot in the summer time, but they have this strange thing called "4 seasons" here. ;)

All repainted to a much higher standard of glossy toy soldier finish than the original now. So if they were worth anything before, they aren't anylonger (except decorative). :)

I'll try to get some photos posted.

Late to the party on this one!

Thank you, Dave, for the kind words! I agree with you about Austrian origins for these. After checking through my references, primarily Roer's "Old German Toy Soldiers", and the Heyde chapter of O'Brien's "Collecting Foreign-Made Toy Soldiers", these look closest to the examples of Wollner's figures, than to anything else I can find. I don't think they're Heyde figures, since they're half-round. But they also don't look like any of the other half-round figures I'm familiar with, like those from Schneider or Ideal molds.

Michael, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your repainted figures!

Prost!
Brad

Here are my repaints, done in glossy enamel, vintage toy soldier style. Considerably more carefully rendered than the originals. I painted them up as the 24th South Wales Borderers.

Like many here, my background is sculpting and painting model soldiers to a high degree of realism. Consequentially, I prefer my toy soldiers to look like the vintage, high gloss variety by contrast. I'm not so much into the intermediary, matt and slightly more detailed style toy soldiers as they don't fully embody either extreme of the spectrum.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Hi Brad,

When I wrote my last post the stupid auto correct changed the spelling of the company I thought the maybe from Joseph kolbher I will have to look at the three sets I have from his shop in Vienna. They have s label with an address I believe but I am now deep into the latest and hopefully last move and have packed everything into boxes 😩. The movers show up on Tuesday and we begin the final offensive aimed at Erie Colorado. So I agree that they are Austrian just unsure of a maker but your choice is a good one as well since I believe the flag/standard bear is the key to the mystery.

Talk again soon

Dave

Clearer photos. Sorry for the redundancy, but I was unable to edit my original post due to assigned permission limits.

1.jpg
IMG_20180601_153200_573.jpg
IMG_20180601_153131_586.jpg
IMG_20180601_153131_586.jpg

Last edited:
I should point out that the officer, drummer and bugler appear to be very possibly different in make than the ensign and marching enlisted figures in this lot. So the identity of maker(s) may be different for the differing sculpts.

The remaining figures in the original photos (not repainted or pictured in the follow up photos) are DEFINITELY different in style, and may be from another maker(s) altogether.

Nice finish, Michael! I like the classic toy soldier finish, too.

Y'know, these might go well with figures from the Schildkröte molds. They're part of the Nurnberger Meisterzinn catalog today.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back